Ethir Swordsman

By bitzurock, in Rules questions & answers

Hi!

Question...when Ethir Swordsman comes to play (let's say there are no outlands characters in play) hiw willpower is 2? 1 printed and 1 from his effect?

I assume same case for the other 3 sphere outlands allies..actually only Warrior of Lossarnach (1 printed + 1 effect).

Correct, a lone Ethir Swordsman would have two willpower.

Yes. He is an errata i would want to see even if it would break many of the decks I used over the most difficult quests like journey in the dark or helm's deep. All other outland allies work essentially only in an outland deck. These guys are op in being a 2 cost 2 wp to start with (in pair with best spirit questing allies) and then becoming 2 costs 3 wp Each once a second guy hit the table ( equivalent of 2 cost 4 wp ally...) which in all my game is pretty much a standard case. If you end up with a third guy in play he makes 2 costs 4wp EACH (equivalent of 2 costs 6 wp ally...).

No surprise they are used almost everywhere.

I think they should be 0 of printed wp or, most likely in an errata, have added a text modification to avoid the guy buffing himself.

Outlands were designed to be overpowered, and thus far there was not a single errata that changed the cost or stats of a card, only the texts have been affected. And according to your logic, Knights of the Swan would be even more overpowered: You get 9 attack for only 3 ressources. And even if an Ethir Swordsman was only buffing other Outlands, you would only lose 1 willpower per Swordsman, i.e. a maximum of 3.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Amicus Draconis said:

Outlands were designed to be overpowered, and thus far there was not a single errata that changed the cost or stats of a card, only the texts have been affected. And according to your logic, Knights of the Swan would be even more overpowered: You get 9 attack for only 3 ressources. And even if an Ethir Swordsman was only buffing other Outlands, you would only lose 1 willpower per Swordsman, i.e. a maximum of 3.

No. Outland have been designed to be overpowered IN an outland deck due to outland SYNERGY between the different allies form all the 4 sphere.

The swordsman is the only outland ally who fit ANY deck featuring spirit not relying on any other outland ally to be OP.

Knight of swan is not even good outside outland deck. Alone he is just 1 cost 1 attack ally in tactic not really worth the deck space in most case while the swordsman starts as 2 cost 2 willpower which is the golden trade in spirit.

With 2 knight they becomes a 2 attack for 1 resources but in a sphere where 2 attack for 2 resources ( plus often an useful trait, keyword or ability) is the normal trade it's not at all impressive while a 2 cost 3 willpower ally is best in class.

Simply put, in my books the swordsman is op becouse he can fully benefits from the outland superpowerful buff in any deck not featuring any other outland ally where all the other outland allies are mediocre at best outside a dedicated outland deck.

Edited by Halberto

I agree with Halberto.

Ethir Swordman is op.

You can errate it for your own games if you think is that much needed, or not use it at all.

Not desperately calling for it but let's be honest , it would be fully understandable if they did it

On 5/24/2019 at 12:28 AM, Halberto said:

No. Outland have been designed to be overpowered IN an outland deck due to outland SYNERGY between the different allies form all the 4 sphere.

The swordsman is the only outland ally who fit ANY deck featuring spirit not relying on any other outland ally to be OP.

Knight of swan is not even good outside outland deck. Alone he is just 1 cost 1 attack ally in tactic not really worth the deck space in most case while the swordsman starts as 2 cost 2 willpower which is the golden trade in spirit.

A single Knight produces 1 attack for 1 resource, a ratio of 1:1, while a single Swordsman produces 1 willpower for 1 resource, the same ratio of 1:1. Of course you get twice the stats for a single copy of a Swordsman (not counting hitpoints, but a single one is only keeping them from dying anyway and nothing else), but you also have to pay twice the price.

A second Knight increases your total attack from 1 to 4, so +3 attack for a single extra resource, or 4 attack in total for 2 resources total, a ratio of 2:1. The second Swordsman increases your total willpower from 2 to 6, so +4 willpower for 2 resources (only 33% increase compared to the Knight for 100% more price), or 6 willpower for 4 ressources total, a ratio of 3:2 (25% worse than the Knights).

A third Knight increases your total attack from 4 to 9, so +5 attack for a single extra resource, or 9 attack in total for 3 resources total, a ratio of 3:1. The third Swordsman increases your total willpower from 6 to 12, so +6 willpower for 2 resources (only 20% increase compared to the Knight for again 100% more price), or 12 willpower for 6 ressources total, a ratio of 2:1 (33% worse than the Knights).

With 2 knight they becomes a 2 attack for 1 resources but in a sphere where 2 attack for 2 resources ( plus often an useful trait, keyword or ability) is the normal trade it's not at all impressive while a 2 cost 3 willpower ally is best in class.

You try to tell me, that an ally (with one Knight already under my control) with 2 attack for 1 resource is not impressive in a sphere where you would normally pay twice as much for the same attack? Does not make sense to me.

Sure, a single Knight is not impressive, I would rather take a Veteran Axehand instead, but in groups they only get better, similar as the Swordsmen but faster. Tripling the number of Knights yields 9 times the attack, tripling the number of Swordsmen yields only 6 times the willpower (Assuming a maximum of three).

Simply put, in my books the swordsman is op becouse he can fully benefits from the outland superpowerful buff in any deck not featuring any other outland ally where all the other outland allies are mediocre at best outside a dedicated outland deck.

What do you consider an "outland superpowerful buff in any deck not featuring any other outland ally"? This only means the Swordsman's buff itself, which is the same as the Knight's one with willpower instead of attack.

9 attack for 3 resources is mediocre? Really?