Quick Shadowfall Mountain Question

By Charmy, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Been awhile since there has been a quest rule issue, but I've recently been revisiting Heir of Blood and have a question regarding Shadowfall Mountain.

In the quest rules it says that at the start of the Overlord turn all heroes recover 1 health. Do you think this includes heroes that are knocked out and not on the map? If so, then they will be put back on the map after the healing.

However, later in the rules it also states that the Overlord also gains a hero token if a hero is knocked out at the start of his turn.

I'm guessing this is a matter of which effect the Overlord wishes to test first, since the timing of the two is the same?

Just wanted to clarify this one because its a little oddly worded. I wonder why the heroes would randomly get health regeneration on this one anyway... doesn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the quest.

Edited by Charmy

If the heroes recovered health before the OL gaining the token, it would be impossible for the OL to gain any token.

It's a way to avoid a deadlock; if the heroes were KO'd and refused to get back up, no one could win the quest...

Thanks ssorgatem. I figured that out later. They've addressed this type of issue in other quests in a different way - usually by saying something like: "If a hero is knocked out at the start of the Overlord's turn, give the Overlord a token."

I guess they wanted to do it in a way that is more advantageous to the heroes in this one.

Yes.
But I think it's a bit of a pointless rule that only leads to confusion.

It's very hard for a hero to be KOed at the start of the OL's turn, so you are very unlikely to get any of the needed tokens from that...

... and it may actually be easier to leave the heroes alive but injured so a single fire breath from the named dragon (can't remember his name now) can take out more than one and earn you several tokens at the same time.

Even removing that rule, it's still a very tough quest for the heroes if playing against a competent OL.

The toughest challenge as OL for me always - have all heroes KO-ed.

Mission Impossible without proper team.