Escalation dice

By Lord_Lele, in Your Settings

A mechanic that I really like from 13th Age is the Escalation Dice that start adding +1 from the second round of combat, until +6. This represent the escalating action and the effort PC apply in combat.

Do you think this mechanic can be replicated in Genesys?

Like for example, from the second round you always add an Advantage, third round a Success, fourth round an Advantage and a Success, third round two Successes and so on...

only PC and really special Nemeses can use this bonus, minions and rivals cannot.

What do you think? This can make combat easy for PC, but can have some drewback that I ignore?

Drawbacks:

It's extra things to track in a combat.

It's alleviated by running combats that only last 1-3 rounds.

Players will forget their bonuses and it will be on the GM to remember it all.

IMO, combat does not last that long unless it is a huge setpiece that is climactic to a story arc with multiple minions and rivals and maybe a nemesis or two.

Also, the idea is good for 7th Sea but not every mechanic works for every game.

Sometimes I have long combat (even 7 and 8 rounds) because player roll really bad with 1 or 2 failures and maybe a little bonus can help mitigate this.

I think a solution that is easy to track, and empowers and encourages players without adding too many new mechanics is to make a pool of temporary Story Points that is only good for the combat, and increases in size every round (rate determined by how fast/deadly you want combat to be). Points spent from these pools are discarded, not transferred to the GM pool (or maybe they are?). At the end of combat, any remaining unspent temporary Story Points are discarded.

Edited by panpolyqueergeek
spelling and grammar
On 5/20/2019 at 12:38 AM, Lord_Lele said:

Sometimes I have long combat (even 7 and 8 rounds) because player roll really bad with 1 or 2 failures and maybe a little bonus can help mitigate this.

Sounds like the solution is to call the fight for Team Evil who makes their escape as they beat back Our Heroes.