Rules Question: "Then"

By MadTownXWing, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

While playing a prompt came up that was something along the lines of "Suffer 1 facedown [damage]. Then become emboldened." Based on my experience with other FFG games the word "then" usually implies that the first effect must be completed in full in order for the second effect to trigger. Is that true for this game as well? I wasn't able to find anything regarding the word "then" in the RRG. The reason this matters is that I want to know if I prevent the 1 facedown damage do I still become emboldened?

They’re two separate effects, so you can prevent the damage and become emboldened.

if they were tied it would say something like; if you suffered damage become emboldened.

Edited by Majushi
9 hours ago, MadTownXWing said:

Based  on my experience with other FFG games the word "then" usually implies  that the first effect must be comple   ted  in f  ull in order for the second effect to trigger .

This definitely was not the case for Imperial Assault. “Then” was used to indicate an order that effects were applied for that game. The point being, that using the technical writing of one game to understand another the rules for another isn’t generally a good method.

I would read it the same as @Majushi , but I’d be guilty of the same thing.

This maybe a case where the question should be sent into the devs and then used as precedent for future rules (assuming there isn’t an existing precedent for this game).

19 hours ago, MadTownXWing said:

Based on my experience with other FFG games the word "then" usually implies that the first effect must be completed in full in order for the second effect to trigger.

This holds true in LotR LCG, with a bit of controversy over costs and negative effects.

I struggled also with this. The prevent card "Travel Garb" says: Before you suffer facedown [Damage] you may prevent 1 of that [Damage].

My understanding is, when you do with this card then the "facedown" never happened and the hero doesn't get emboldened.

Maybe with such prevent cards without "Before" it's different..

1.16 If an ability uses the word “then,” a hero must resolve the effect that occurs before the word “then,” followed by the effect that occurs after the word “then.”

Not sure if this helps... sounds like you suffer/negate damage and become emboldened nevertheless.

15 minutes ago, MeeKey said:

Not sure if this helps... sounds like you suffer/negate damage and become emboldened nevertheless.

I don't know how I missed this. Yes this does help, I think this clarifies it. If they had intended for "then" to work the way I was asking then (I think) they would have phrased this rule as

"... a hero must [fully] resolve the effect that occurs before the word "then," [in order to trigger] the effect that occurs after the word "then.""

Their phrasing definitely makes it seem like "then" is simply meant to provide the player with a specific order to effects and nothing more as @Uninvited Guest mentioned above for Imperial Assault .

On 5/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, Majushi said:

They’re two separate effects, so you can prevent the damage and become emboldened.

if they were tied it would say something like; if you suffered damage become emboldened.

Is it also correct that you suffer the damage and become emboldened? I mean, whether if you suffer damage or you can negate it, you become emboldened anyway?

22 hours ago, Boogiemeester said:

Is it also correct that you suffer the damage and become emboldened? I mean, whether if you suffer damage or you can negate it, you become emboldened anyway?

Yes, as @Majushi said, they are two separate effects.