Daniel Chesterfield?

By Purple Orc, in Arkham Horror

So I played my first game and had an encounter at the asylum. I got the card that mentions Daniel Chesterfield joins me. So not being able to find any new game effects that take place for hanging out with Daniel, I just moved on with the game.

Did I overlook a card that goes with? It seems odd to focus on this character and not have anything happen.

Thanks

31 minutes ago, Purple Orc said:

So I played my first game and had an encounter at the asylum. I got the card that mentions Daniel Chesterfield joins me. So not being able to find any new game effects that take place for hanging out with Daniel, I just moved on with the game.

Did I overlook a card that goes with? It seems odd to focus on this character and not have anything happen.

Thanks

Daniel Chesterfield is an Ally, but rather than being in the blue Ally deck, he's in the gold/brown special cards deck. Most of the encounters use something similar so that you have to locate the specified Asset and that it doesn't fall into another investigators hand by purchase/gain ally location. It's more like a special rewards deck.

1 hour ago, LordPyrex said:

Daniel Chesterfield is an Ally, but rather than being in the blue Ally deck, he's in the gold/brown special cards deck.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I had just assumed the game would have called out the special deck specifically. I had the deck out and then completely forgot about it.

You live and learn. Thanks again.

It is called out in the Rules Reference, specifically 482.3:

Mechanical text that refers to special cards always refers to them by name. The name of a special card appears in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS in mechanical text.

13 hours ago, Purple Orc said:

I got the card that mentions Daniel Chesterfield joins me.

Take note on the font that "Daniel Chesterfield" was printed with. When you see such font, then it's a card from either the Special deck or the Condition deck (which are more or less a single deck in this game).
This is stated in the rulebook but I can't check the page now.

In general, when the game instructs you to gain a "named" asset (ally, item, whatevs), it always comes from the special cards deck. When the game instructs you gain a "general" asset (like "gain an Ally") it refers to the generic decks.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:54 AM, Julia said:

In general, when the game instructs you to gain a "named" asset (ally, item, whatevs), it always comes from the special cards deck. When the game instructs you gain a "general" asset (like "gain an Ally") it refers to the generic decks.

The thing is, in the system used Special Asset doesn't necessarily use the word "gain".
It may be "The S CARLET W ITCH joins you" or even "The S CARLET W ITCH becomes your follower". Although it's been some time since I played, I remember they do make a use of it to deliver more thematic encounters.
For Special cards and Conditions, the funny font is the qualifier, there's no keyword.

In contrast, if you see something along the lines of "Carl Sanford joins you in your journey to historical society" - a unique name but written in regular font, then it's just for flavor.

And other decks do use the word "gain".

Interesting. Thanks for this, Tsuma. My point was more for named vs unnamed tho. Can't really comment on NPCs vs Allies, but from memory every time I'm told to look for a specific asset, for example, comes from the special deck. I could very well be mistaken tho (I never really looked into this that much since they didn't ask me to tech edit the game and my evenings are not that lonely), so, I'll keep your point in mind while playing :)