When are FFG finally going to do something about Balon Greyjoy?

By Jamborinio, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

First off, let me say what a wonderful job FFG has done with this expansion. It’s single handedly revitalised aGoT, especially at lower than 6 player counts, which suits my group perfectly!

The second part to this is more of a balance question. I notice that FFG have recently released an FAQ and finally after all these years, Lannister has received some help at the start, which is long overdue and greatly appreciated! However, there’s one remaining balance issue (other than perhaps Baratheon’s start when Targ is used) and that is with the power of Greyjoy overall. Even with the extra ship, it still appears Greyjoy’s cards are so vastly superior to all other houses, and the main culprit here is Balon Greyjoy. Consider Lannister’s position if Greyjoy takes Riverrun and Seagard first turn - which by the way they can do easily with current cards - and then 2nd turn they get a Muster (about 33% chance, or more if Baratheon selects a muster). That’s effectively Lannister toast and there’s nothing Lannister can do about it.

Balon is an auto win card and combined with Aeron can even be plucked whenever he’s required. Greyjoy’s position on the far west is also one that is arguably least impacted by Targaryen’s initial desires.

Will there be any consideration for finally dealing with this card for the good of the game? Like for example, instead of reducing to 0, could it be reduce strength of opponent’s card by 1 or 2? Something to make it less a guarantee and fail safe; something to give Lannister or Stark - whoever the Greyjoys go for - a chance in the ensuing combats...

The change to Lannister’s starting army is a step in the right direction and it gives me hope that there could be a future change (mainly to this card).

Best regards and thanks for MoD!

Edited by Jamborinio

Replace Balon with Rodrik from DwD expansion. We did it years ago and never looked back. GJ deck still very good, but without the silly OP Balon card.

I hear you and it's definitely the best house rule fix out there. We use it when we play face to face. I'd love to see something official though, as I occasionally play at Thronemaster and they use official rules.

3 hours ago, Frode789 said:

Replace Balon with Rodrik from DwD expansion. We did it years ago and never looked back. GJ deck still very good, but without the silly OP Balon card.

Do you make any other changes Frode? Like Addam Marband for Kevan Lannister, or Qyburn for Cersei, or even any others for other houses?

btw, I'm talking the Mother of Dragon's setup and Vassals here (though not necessarily with Targaryen in play).

Edited by Jamborinio
On 5/8/2019 at 12:53 AM, Jamborinio said:

Do you make any other changes Frode? Like Addam Marband for Kevan Lannister, or Qyburn for Cersei, or even any others for other houses?

btw, I'm talking the Mother of Dragon's setup and Vassals here (though not necessarily with Targaryen in play).

With the recent official change to Lannister (extra ship in port), we play with no other house rules. Just replacing Balon with Rodrik. :)

Edited by Frode789

Ah so you've pretty much reverted back to basic.

Out of curiosity have you ever used the alternative set (DWD / FFC for Arryn) in its entirety? If so, what were your impressions / thoughts?