[Ruling] Togashi Tadakatsu

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

If I control Togashi Tadakatsu, when my opponent declares a conflict, if I choose a ring with fate on it, can I - or my opponent - trigger Enlightened Warrior? Who 'selects' the ring, the attacking or the defending player?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

If I control Togashi Tadakatsu, when my opponent declares a conflict, if I choose a ring with fate on it, can I - or my opponent - trigger Enlightened Warrior? Who 'selects' the ring, the attacking or the defending player?

The Enlightened Warrior will still trigger: the Dragon player will choose the element for their opponent, but the opponent still “selects” the ring (as they also get to choose which conflict type and where they go).

[Tyler Parrott, April 2 2018]

My opponent has Togashi Tadakatsu in play and my only ready character is a Fire Tensai Acolyte. I declare a conflict and my opponent now selects the ring for me. Are they forced to choose the fire ring because it's the only ring I can declare an attacker for?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

My opponent has Togashi Tadakatsu in play and my only ready character is a Fire Tensai Acolyte. I declare a conflict and my opponent now selects the ring for me. Are they forced to choose the fire ring because it's the only ring I can declare an attacker for?

If Fire Tensai Acolyte is your only valid character, then yes they must choose the Fire ring. If that is not the case, they can choose another element to prevent you from attacking with that character.

[Tyler Parrott, April 12 2019]