Network Encounters (SotB)

By DrVecctor, in Rules Questions

I have several questions regarding the Network Encounter rules:

1. On page 132 (SotB) it says

"Typically, runners know that ice is protecting a portion of the system, but they do not know what that ice is [...]."

I am assuming that runners also know how many pieces of ice are protecting the system (just as in Andoid: Netrunner) but it is not really clear from the text quoted above...

2. On page 133 (SotB) it says about the "Great Wall" that

"Up to three sub-systems may be protected by this ice."

I wonder if the Great Wall has to be the only piece of ice protecting these subsystems (does the term "subsystem" actually include the pieces of ice protecting it?), or could there be, say, another piece of ice, then the Great Wall, then 3 subsystems, or alternatively, a Great Wall, followed by three "parallel" pieces of ice and three subsystems?

3. On page 107 it says that a Spinal Modem "[...] provides all the benefits of a BMI [...]"

While a Spinal Modem is a very powerful cybernetic, it does not have as much storage space as a Big Rig (or even a Portable Rig). So I wonder, if I have access to a Big Rig, could I also perform a run using the Big Rig (of course not using the storage space of my Spinal Modem), but still use my Spinal Modem to "go deep/go shallow"? Or does it only provide the benefits of a BMI when I am using it to make the run?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by DrVecctor
typo
4 hours ago, DrVecctor said:

1. On page 132 (SotB) it says

"Typically, runners know that ice is protecting a portion of the system, but they do not know what that ice is [...]."

I am assuming that runners also know how many pieces of ice are protecting the system (just as in Andoid: Netrunner) but it is not really clear from the text quoted above...

With the example system provided (SotB127) I assume so. You know what subsystems there are and how many pieces of ice are between you and your goal. You just don't know what those ice are.

2. On page 133 (SotB) it says about the "Great Wall" that

"Up to three sub-systems may be protected by this ice."

I wonder if the Great Wall has to be the only piece of ice protecting these subsystems (does the term "subsystem" actually include the pieces of ice protecting it?), or could there be, say, another piece of ice, then the Great Wall, then 3 subsystems, or alternatively, a Great Wall, followed by three "parallel" pieces of ice and three subsystems?

There can be up to 3 subsystems behind a Great Wall, regardless of how 'deep' those subsystems are.

Do note that Great Wall makes a good intro ice and not so good at being further down. For example, if you have two subsystems behind the Great Wall and one of those has an additional ice protecting it, it's best to have it be after the Great Wall. Otherwise, the wall is vulnerable before the prior ice is broken.

3. On page 107 it says that a Spinal Modem "[...] provides all the benefits of a BMI [...]"

While a Spinal Modem is a very powerful cybernetic, it does not have as much storage space as a Big Rig (or even a Portable Rig). So I wonder, if I have access to a Big Rig, could I also perform a run using the Big Rig (of course not using the storage space of my Spinal Modem), but still use my Spinal Modem to "go deep/go shallow"? Or does it only provide the benefits of a BMI when I am using it to make the run?

The spinal modem provides all the benefits of a BMI, which includes the ability to hook it up to a (portable) rig. But at that point, you're better off just getting a skulljack. Another thing to note: " A spinal modem has the processing power of a portable computer rig… " (SotB106). Meaning that the "rig only" icebreakers should be able to fit in a spinal modem. Double check with your GM, though.

Edited by c__beck