Operation Shield Bash Help

By Samuel Richard, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

So I took a deeper read through of Fully Operational lately and stumbled upon the suggested campaign of Operation Shield Bash. Those who dont know it TL:DR PCs pose as civilian contractors as they rebuild a old clone wars defense station and then use it to inflict massive damage on the empire. I want to run it, as it has the potential for Engineering, Social, and some spy/combat encounters over the course of a probable 10-15 sessions.

My problem is the suggested ending, the world that they rebuild the station over is on the outer rim with some imperial presence. The attack is supposed to inflict massive damage to imperials before abandoning the station as waves of imperial navy reinforcements overwhelm the defenses. This ending, while having the satisfaction of completely obliterating of any Imp nemesis along the way, in my opinion takes all the work the PCs did and says "Thats great, its all gone now". I would like to adjust it to basically be a sudden coup on the planet where the station attacks the imps in space and a uprising throws off the imps on the ground. Then the rebel fleet and the station fend off reinforcements trying to hold the line before the Imperial Navy gives up throwing so many resources at a distant outer rim planet and settles to just guard the hyperspace routes in and out.

My problem is how do I go about doing this with out stretching the number of sessions to the triple digits. Is the possibility of establishing a rebel fortress world like mon cala is even possible? Would the rebel fleet need convincing to under take such a tremendous effort?

Edited by Samuel Richard

Give the players bigger resources at one time. So instead of the local recruitment gets a small cell of fighters. They make contact with an existing strong rebel cell. That already has a strong navy, and a large number of ground support.

You needs to give them what they need quicker than you planned to lower the sessions. I played one of these and it took 20 sessions, but I had the space combat handled all by NPC, the players remained on planet's watching the destroyers get blow apart from the ground.

On 4/28/2019 at 11:10 AM, Samuel Richard said:

My problem is how do I go about doing this with out stretching the number of sessions to the triple digits. Is the possibility of establishing a rebel fortress world like mon cala is even possible? Would the rebel fleet need convincing to under take such a tremendous effort?

As mentioned above, you could have them get in touch with a rebel cell that is much more established than just a few fighters. Make it be a significant sized fleet that operates in an entire sector of space. A few cap ships, a support vessel or two, and several wings of fighters. Have them have access to trained ground troops as well, to help with your planetary assault.

As to would the rebel fleet need much convincing, no I don't think so. If you look at the original trilogy, and Rogue One, they are pretty willing to go "all-in" if the target is important enough. I would perhaps tweak the description of what the Imperial presence in that area is up to, and how far reaching their plans might be, if the module doesn't make it as big of a threat.