Stun Timing

By Pinsther, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

So, in our group, I am using Elena as a Musician and grabbed up Song of Mocking because I figured Stun is one of the best ways to enable us to pile on an elite enemy and not just get wrecked by counterattacks. (We're a two person group with no ranged attacker.)
After using it on an elite enemy and selecting Stun with an attack with 0 hits (I assume that is the correct way to do it from a card effect without an attack), Aragorn went in for an attack and the app still asked if the enemy could counterattack. I figured the answer should be no, because I stunned him already, but now I am unsure because the app thought it might be able to. Can I get any clarification on this?

Elite enemies can still counterattack even when exhausted but not when stunned. Page 10 of the RR number 21.5 and 21.6. I feel like you played this correctly but also wonder why the app asked. Could be a bug.

Edited by AncientVirus
Clarification

Elite enemy units can still counterattack!

28.2 Elite enemy groups can counterattack heroes even if the enemy group is exhausted.

Edited by MeeKey

Okay I think I see your confusion. This is the stun rule (page 19):

Stun: If the “stun” modifier is applied to an enemy group, that enemy group is exhausted, and if the enemy group is elite, it cannot counterattack.

This only applies right after attacking the enemy. However, after that is resolved, they can still counterattack as normal.

So in your example, they would not counterattack Elena (as she caused the stun) but they will counterattack Aragon, as he came in after.

image.png.014c9691fb9568eecbe209a4af3b0c60.png

So, when you "stun" you exhaust an enemy, the issue is probably because the app does not make distinction in between "stunned exhausted" and just "exhausted".

In any case, you did right not triggering the counter-attack.

1 hour ago, AncientVirus said:

Elite enemies can still counterattack even when exhausted but not when stunned. Page 10 of the RR number 21.5 and 21.6. I feel like you played this correctly but also wonder why the app asked. Could be a bug.

Yep, I agree. That seems like something the app should be easily be able to manage.

2 hours ago, Pinsther said:

After using it on an elite enemy and selecting Stun with an attack with 0 hits (I assume that is the correct way to do it from a card effect without an attack),

You did it right.

2 hours ago, Pinsther said:

Aragorn went in for an attack and the app still asked if the enemy could counterattack.

Could be a bug. I'll keep an eye and try to reproduce it on my end.

Talking about bugs, are you guys experiencing any issues when tapping an element on screen, like a token? Sometimes, i do have to tap the element multiple times before getting prompted for an action. I use an Android device.

Edited by Shirys

I think it should counterattack Aragorn (unless Aragorn stunned it too).

If Aragorn's attack did not apply stun then the exhausted elite can counterattack.

An elite cannot counterattack an attacker who stunned it after the specific attack where it was stunned but it can counterattack a later attack despite being exhausted if that later attack did not stun it.

Exhausted is a persistent state with rules for removing it. Stunned does not appear to be a persistent state as there are no rules for when it is removed.

RR Page 32:

Stun: This attack exhausts the enemy group. If the group is elite,
it also cannot counterattack this attack .

Edit: Just saw MeeKey beat me to it.

Edited by usgrandprix
grammar
5 hours ago, Shirys said:

Talking about bugs, are you guys experiencing any issues when tapping an element on screen, like a token? Sometimes, i do have to tap the element multiple times before getting prompted for an action. I use an Android device.

I've noticed that the token has to almost dead center on my screen to be able to interact with it: also using android.

Edited by HirumaShigure
3 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

I've noticed that the token has to almost dead center on my screen to be able to interact with it: also using android.

Yep, that’s exactly my problem. I’ve experienced this only on my laptop though using the trackpad.

Yep. I read that section of the rules, which is very carefully worded, and I didn't like stun too much after that. I mean, using it WITH significant damage is still pretty good, but there's an upgrade to the harp I think, which adds stun but on a spirit stat icon (so it can't be used with the dagger). It seems kind of pointless because generally the elites are the ones who deal the big damage. It could help for large enemy groups or just to run away I suppose.

I think Stun is only applied to the one attack where it is first applied. All future attacks will risk counter attacks.

It does prevent the enemy to attack at the shadow phase and allows movement and interactions, so still very usefull!