Returning Player-What to buy

By jedi moose, in Star Wars: Destiny

Hi all. So I got into Destiny a little bit after its initial release. I have Kylo and Rey starter sets, the Two player set, bought one booster box each of Awakenings, Spirit of Rebellion, and Empire at War. Also had some other cards i bought individually or got through other means. I am a very casual player. I play primarily with my brother who has roughly the same purchase history. Not looking to be super competitive or play in tournaments or anything.

So my questions: Any suggestions on what I should by if i want to freshen up my decks? I'm not looking to complete a collection or anything (and my brother and I are generally ok with sharing stuff and using proxy dice to make Elite units). I see a few starter sets for Luke and Boba. Are those worth getting? If I get a booster box should I go for Spark of Hope, Convergence, Across the Galaxy, Way of the force, Legacies? (My goodness I've missed a lot).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Amazon has a sale today on Legacies and WotF boxes. Definitely worth checking out. And both sets have solid cards, with Yoda and Snoke being meta staples currently.

As mentioned above, if you’re just playing casually, then the Amazon sale for Legacies and WotF is a great deal to get lots of cards. Other than that, really depends on which characters you guys prefer. The new Obi/Grievous starters are the best starter packs in my opinion. Never was much a fan of the Boba/Luke ones. Convergence is probably the best designed set that’s come yet, but outside Palpatine, lacks any of the super iconic characters (has Mace and Padme, but no Luke, Han, Lando, Vader, etc).

1 hour ago, PeoplesChampion said:

Amazon has a sale today on Legacies and WotF boxes. Definitely worth checking out. And both sets have solid cards, with Yoda and Snoke being meta staples currently.

Whoa! Thats a steal! Ordered one of each. Thanks for the tip. Do they go on sale like that often? I assume when new stuff comes out the old stuff goes on sale

Awakenings, Spirit of Rebellion, and Empire at War are no longer legal for use in standard tournaments, so they're incredibly cheap these days. Amazon has had Way of the Force boxes for $40 or less for a few weeks now, though today's $31 price is a steal. Legacies has actually been at $70+ even recently, so today's $25 price is really surprising to me. I'm definitely jumping on that one myself.

I agree about getting the cheap boosters from Amazon, and would absolutely recommend getting the new Starters (Obi-Won and Grievous) - they are very well put together and have very versatile cards!

The new draft kit (Allies of Necessity) also looks like a great value, so I would pick up one or two of those.

Depending on how much money you’re looking to spend, I’d say the Boba and Luke starters are not a bad way to go. I agree with others above that they may not be “great”, but there’s still a lot of versatile and usable cards in there that can really help to create a lot of decks - especially if you have a limited/casual card pool.

Good luck!!

I've actually tried (only contents of starter) Luke vs Rey, Luke vs Obi Wan and apparently, the newer set always won so I recommend getting the newest starters

Everything! Start with 2 of every box anything from the last set then a box of boosters. After that singles. Seriously though, buy what you can when you can and go to game nights. Most are quick to share common cards with no problem. Most bring several decks and will let you play one. You must do what you feel is right.

Thanks for all the tips guys. We got a box of Way of the Force and Legacies. Scored a Yoda and a Maul and some other stuff that looks like fun. We are going to keep our eyes out for other smoking deals or sales. Probably pick up the starter boxes at some point. I'd like to have some more of the core characters to play with (Luke, Han, Obi, Vader, Boba etc). Even if they aren't the best cards, there is value to me in playing with a team of characters that I actually care about. I'll be floating around here to keep an eye out for tips and deals. Thanks again for all the help.

Often you can find starter boxes at Target for very low prices.