Lead the Charge Timing

By Xrix2, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

My buddies and I played the first 5 missions of the game the other day and we came across a situation. Aragorn attacks an Orc Hunter and then discards Lead the Charge to gain an inspiration and let another nearby hero attack. The question that came up is this, does the Orc Hunter get to counterattack Aragorn before the 2nd attack comes in from the nearby hero, or does the 2nd attack come in immediately after Aragorn's attack and interrupt the counterattack from the enemy? I am assuming that you resolve Aragorn's attack as normal, take the counterattack from the enemy, then the nearby hero gets to attack and would also take a counterattack if the enemy was elite.

I supose so. Have to check out the real card first though...

In our limited experience so far we know of two things that happen "after you attack"... this card and Gimli's special ability. Carefully reading the rules after our last session I'm inclined to think it would happen after a counterattack but would like an official answer. We've been letting Gimli use his ability before counterattacking and being able to put a good card back on top of the deck so you can negate with it has felt very stong.

Edited by Daverman

You can't click on the enemy portrait to bring up the attack screen while the counterattack prompt is up, which leads me to believe that you must take the counterattack before the second hero gets their opportunity to attack.

1 hour ago, Fasolto said:

You can't click on the enemy portrait to bring up the attack screen while the counterattack prompt is up, which leads me to believe that you must take the counterattack before the second hero gets their opportunity to attack.

<delete>

Edited by Camstrike
Reading Comprehension Fail.

By the rulebook the counter attack is part of the attack, step 4 if i recall right. So i guess that counter attack is first and then the card's effect

I submitted this question via the support link and received this reply:

When an effect would happen after an attack, all the steps of that attack must fully resolve before that effect can resolve. So, both Gimli's ability and the Captain card Lead the Charge would happen after Step 4, the enemy counterattack.

I'm getting this question a lot, so I will be including it in the first FAQ we post.

Hi guys, we wondered the same thing last night but I had a further question,

Is there a limit to how many prepared cards you can use in a turn? We were taking down the troll and I used 2 "leading the charge" prepared cards to allow the Mrs to attack 2x after my first action (which was attack}, when she attacked she also used some of her prepared cards etc... When I used my second action at the end of this I took down the troll. It did feel like we were maybe having too much of an advantage but we had prepared some good cards for an expected battle.

Thanks

No limit. Or actually there is limit 4 because it is the maximum number of prepared cards ;)

Just now, Hannibal_pjv said:

No limit. Or actually there is limit 4 because it is the maximum number of prepared cards ;)

Haha true that!

Thanks

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:39 AM, Xrix2 said:

I am assuming that you resolve Aragorn's attack as normal, take the counterattack from the enemy, then the nearby hero gets to attack and would also take a counterattack if the enemy was elite.

This is the correct way of using Lead the Charge

On 5/29/2019 at 12:34 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

Actually, no! You can scout during your turn (due to certain effects including equipment, trinkets, prepared cards) after using prepared cards, so you can use more than 4 per turn! Like how a pathfinder with the upgraded travel garb and some sprint cards can traverse the entire map in one turn this way.

i do wonder about the "at the start of your turn" cards. Technically after you play one of these it's no longer the start of your turn so you're limited to 1 of these per turn?

Edited by Elfik2018
3 hours ago, Elfik2018 said:

Actually, no! You can scout during your turn (due to certain effects including equipment, trinkets, prepared cards) after using prepared cards, so you can use more than 4 per turn! Like how a pathfinder with the upgraded travel garb and some sprint cards can traverse the entire map in one turn this way.

i do wonder about the "at the start of your turn" cards. Technically after you play one of these it's no longer the start of your turn so you're limited to 1 of these per turn?

Fair point as well. That does seem to limit it. You can only play one at a time and therefore are no longer at the start of your turn.

11 hours ago, Elfik2018 said:

Nope. “Start of your turn” is a timing instance. Multiple effects can occur at the same time and the players choose the order they are resolved in. So you can play multiple start of your turn cards at once.

True! Did forget those cards that allow preparing cards! Interesting to se how long combo you can launch!

We play multiple "at the start of your turn" cards too, reasoning that no actions have been taken yet. An action starts your turn.