manoftomorrow's painted minis

By manoftomorrow010, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hi all! There's no sub-thread here, but maybe the admins will add one for any mini painting!

I first started painting miniatures with FFG's Star Wars Legion, so I've got about a year of experience by this point!

Eyes are still almost a no-go for me. I tried on Aragorn and Legolas, but didn't turn out well and didn't feel like continuing to go over them, so just let them be! Perfectly good table top standard tho.

Aragorn

20190421_222014

20190421_222024

Legolas

20190421_222036

20190421_222049

Together!

20190421_222135

Good colours for these 2 and a good job if you have only been painting since Legion!

IMO, cover the eyes back up with flesh...might just be the angle but I think it makes Legolas in particular a bit creepy. Aragorn not so much..he looks like he is squinting.

5 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Good colours for these 2 and a good job if you have only been painting since Legion!

IMO, cover the eyes back up with flesh...might just be the angle but I think it makes Legolas in particular a bit creepy. Aragorn not so much..he looks like he is squinting.

You are definitely correct :)

One thing that made the eyes so difficult, is the eye sockets on these minis are incredibly deep . Aragorn's have a considerably deep horizontal slit in the eye socket, that made it basically impossible to put a coherent "dot" in, it always came out looking like a flat line, filling the deep horizontal cut, or a blob that just overwhelmed the whole socket. Legolas's pupils turned into too large a dot and I tried to correct a few times, but got tired of it :)

In my entire artistic life, I always hit a wall of "trying to correct any further will only make it worse" in my paintings, drawings, etc. So I definitely hit that here.

I've found that painting the eyes before painting the skin can really help make eyes easier to do.

Great looking miniatures! Painting the eyes first can indeed help. I sometimes do first the base layer and wash on the face and then start the eyes. Maybe the admins can add a separate section for the painting. I started the goblins first because I had batch painting and after one batch a do a hero 😂 👍

BTw, there are some Sorastro Guides on youtube for this game now.

Very very good guides if you havnt seen them before.

14 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

BTw, there are some Sorastro Guides on youtube for this game now.

Very very good guides if you havnt seen them before.

oh yeah I have :) he hasn't done any of the heroes yet, and I wanted to paint them before the baddies haha

Someone posted a Krennic with incredible eyes in the Legion forums, and his tip was to just do a tiny black dot with a tiny white dot on either side. Don't need any white on top or bottom, as that just makes the eyes look cartoony.

I'm still waiting on funding for Legion and this, but I'm hoping to try that technique out when I can get them.

...really nice work...