The Emperor's Legion

By RafaelNN, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

New Lion clanpack announced. Thoughts?

I like the cards spoiled. The shugenja that makes characters into attachments in particular.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/19/the-emperors-legion/

Edit: Im kinda dissapointed they didnt follow the X of the Y format the other clanpacks have had so far

Edited by RafaelNN

It’s interesting. Will really have to see where the rest of the pack goes, I’m unsure if these will help us win. Peasants are solid, but missing the crucial bushi trait that our other cards need to trigger.

The only thing I found exciting is that it builds up the hype for a Support of the Lion role to be used in my Unicorn deck.

This first batch of cards is pretty mediocre. The shugenja is interesting considering that attachments move to disguised characters, but, that's a lot to pay for a 4 drop non-bushi that has average stats

3 hours ago, RafaelNN said:

New Lion clanpack announced. Thoughts?

I like the cards spoiled. The shugenja that makes characters into attachments in particular.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/19/the-emperors-legion/

Edit: Im kinda dissapointed they didnt follow the X of the Y format the other clanpacks have had so far

There's still time to fix it.... "The Legion of the Emperor"!

2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

The only thing I found exciting is that it builds up the hype for a Support of the Lion role to be used in my Unicorn deck.

This first batch of cards is pretty mediocre. The shugenja is interesting considering that attachments move to disguised characters, but, that's a lot to pay for a 4 drop non-bushi that has average stats

SHugenja is actually the best of the characters previewed, 4 cost in clan to enable clouds and gives more recursion boosting from graveyard. These are things Lion can work with.

The action of Kyuden Ikoma seems good to me. The best comparison I can draw is the Crane’s Fū Sui Disciple, which does sometimes get you extra utility from your low cost characters by launching solo attacks that punish your opponent for stopping them. Of course, Kyuden Ikoma doesn’t require you to pat for a character, is more consistently on and a targeted bow is more powerful than Disciples’ effect.

On a similar note Embrace Death could be a real pain, since it will at least create a small fate advantage and you’ll always have to be weary of it when defending.

Of course, you could instead say the developers know Lion is so weak they figured them losing would be an easy condition to fulfill 😏 .

I was somewhat puzzled that the SKU for this product is L5C27. The Inheritance Cycle should take up to L5C24. That leaves a gap of two products.

One theory is that 25-27 are meant to be other two clan packs, but they have decided to advance the Lion pack because of their perceived performance in tournaments. Any other theories?

4 hours ago, Mon no Oni said:

I was somewhat puzzled that the SKU for this product is L5C27. The Inheritance Cycle should take up to L5C24. That leaves a gap of two products.

One theory is that 25-27 are meant to be other two clan packs, but they have decided to advance the Lion pack because of their perceived performance in tournaments. Any other theories?

The Lion pack was initially slated to be last but got moved up. Either way, all of the packs are done it's just a matter of when FFG wants to release them.

Any speculation as to who the character on the cover is?

1 hour ago, HirumaShigure said:

I'd assume it's Matsu Tsuko, even if it feels a bit odd since we already got a version of her very recently in CotE .

Edit: Here's an O5R picture for comparison.

latest?cb=20100112011300 l5c27_box.png

Edited by Mangod

I reckon it's going to be Matsu Tsuko, 5 cost Champion of the Lion, since Toturi seems to bemuch more likely to surrender the title than Satsume and even The Grinning Crane resigned from the post after a while as Emerald and Crane Champions simultaneously.

2 hours ago, HirumaShigure said:

The Artist confirmed its Matsu Tsuko

4 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I reckon it's going to be Matsu Tsuko, 5 cost Champion of the Lion, since Toturi seems to bemuch more likely to surrender the title than Satsume and even The Grinning Crane resigned from the post after a while as Emerald and Crane Champions simultaneously.

For a Matsu to become Champion of the Lion, instead of the next Akodo in the line of succession, something major must have happened. In the OL5R, this was the banning of the Akodo family after Toturi's fall from grace. It remais to be seen how exactly develops in the new story.

In any case and if, as it seems, 1) the Lion Clan Pack has been pushed forward, when it was designed to be the final one, and 2) also the overall release rate of clan packs has been increased, we will be seeing a Matsu Champion way earlier than originally planed by FFG. I only hope this doesn't impact the story negatively. One advantage that FFG version of the story had that AEG didn't is that they had the benefit of hindsight, and were able to present a more logical progression of the story, as opposed to being patched together from improvisations based on tournament results, planned or unplanned.

Matsu Tadaka (i think it was his name) became the champion for no Akodo of age and good reputation enough were available at the time.

On 4/21/2019 at 3:13 AM, Mon no Oni said:

For a Matsu to become Champion of the Lion, instead of the next Akodo in the line of succession, something major must have happened.

If the old canon still holds true here then IIRC the Lion was always more meritocratic and allowed people from all four families to become Clan Champs if they were awesome enough.

By the way I think the artist overdid this piece a little. It is hard to take that Power Rangers mask seriously :D .

Edited by AtoMaki