Novel writing tool turned campaign organizer

By arithine, in Your Settings

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I'm also doing this to show off a little I figure here should be fine.

There's this program Quoll Writer I've been using to do my writing for quite some time now. When it was time to get to work on my first campaign it was only natural for me to try using it to write it up... I didn't realize just how well it would work. I've been using features I've never used before to get things all sorts of organized.

Quoll.thumb.jpg.e43f198624f925d5ff13272f7e9e0ed9.jpg

There's still some notes scattered about elsewhere I need to transfer over, but it's turning out nicely. If anyone is interested I might post an outline project with all the custom categories for Genesys. Extras is mostly for minions and the like, but I don't like restricting myself too much so it also houses small side characters.

Edited by arithine

Very neat. I've been using MS one-note but this looks pretty cool.

I've used Scrivener, another novel writing tool, with great success. It works really well too!

2 minutes ago, themensch said:

I've used Scrivener, another novel writing tool, with great success. It works really well too!

Yeah, Scrivener's a pretty good, works better on the Mac though. One feature Scrivener has that I would love is a phone app. Right now I'm keeping notes in Wunderlist when out and about and then transferring those over to Quoll.

10 minutes ago, arithine said:

Yeah, Scrivener's a pretty good, works better on the Mac though. One feature Scrivener has that I would love is a phone app. Right now I'm keeping notes in Wunderlist when out and about and then transferring those over to Quoll.

Scrivener does have an iphone app, which syncs to the desktop app, at least for my mac. I think you have to buy the desktop version direct though. I would say there are likely better ways, like Wunderlist, to quickly capture ideas on a phone. I just use Reminders for stuff like that, makes for a good workflow. Thanks for the tip on Quoll, I'll check it out.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, kaosoe said:

Very neat. I've been using MS one-note but this looks pretty cool.

Me too, I plan on checking out the tool from the OP but I have been using OneNote for 14 years and love where it is right now, simply in terms of ease of use and convenience (love that it’s on all 7 or 8 of the devices I use regularly and is always up to date).

thanks to the OP for the recommendation, looking forward to checking it out :)

edit: no mobile version, no good to me! I do a lot of my note taking and idea generation on the fly and even feel some of my most creative moments are those few minutes alone with my thoughts on the subway, in the bathroom, or simply waiting outside my parole officers house to throw eggs at his wife when she leaves for church, etc.

Edited by MonkeyInSpace