Question about the card "Travel Garb"

By 49caleb, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

The armor card Travel Garb states, "Before you suffer facedown damage, you may prevent 1 of that damage," which is a permanent effect that persists throughout the adventure.

The app will occasionally instruct you to deal a number of "facedown" damage cards to your hero, which triggers Travel Garb 's effect and allows me to block one damage.

My question relates to when you receive damage that is face up (revealing its card text), and THEN the damage card instructs you to flip the card facedown. Can I use Travel Garb to block a damage card that instructs itself to turn facedown (essentially removing the face up damage card that I would have placed facedown)? Thanks.

15 hours ago, 49caleb said:

The armor card Travel Garb states, "Before you suffer facedown damage, you may prevent 1 of that damage," which is a permanent effect that persists throughout the adventure.

The app will occasionally instruct you to deal a number of "facedown" damage cards to your hero, which triggers Travel Garb 's effect and allows me to block one damage.

My question relates to when you receive damage that is face up (revealing its card text), and THEN the damage card instructs you to flip the card facedown. Can I use Travel Garb to block a damage card that instructs itself to turn facedown (essentially removing the face up damage card that I would have placed facedown)? Thanks.

I need to read the rules, but in most FFG games the concept of "suffering damage" is a defined concept. You've likely suffered a face up damage and then simply flipped it face down. You didn't actually suffer a facedown damage.

That would be my interpretation also

Yeah you didn't suffer facedown damage...you suffered face up..at least that's how we played it. Not that it mattered..we were slaughtered over and over. Last stand is a cruel joke.

16 hours ago, Yivrael said:

Yeah you didn't suffer facedown damage...you suffered face up..at least that's how we played it. Not that it mattered..we were slaughtered over and over. Last stand is a cruel joke.

Strange... I have found the game very easy and considering going to hard mode in next play time. Do you use guard? Do you soften up the enemies first by using ranged attacks? Do you use those board elements in the battle map to full extent? Do you really speed up when exploring? Do you read flavor text of encounters before interacting them to get a clue what skill is needed? Do you prepare right cards? Do you give inspiration to right character and activate right characters at right time. The timing is essential in some cases. Do you use your character power to full?

try to end Aragorn near as Many character as possible, for extra scouting. Try to elena do as Many interaction check as possible to give her inspiration other characters, so that They can use the same inspiration again! Use legolas ability to make several usefull interactions. Remember attack with gimli first so that he can put one succes back to the top of the deck before attempting something else with him. Unless ofcourse you have sure setup for some interaction. etc. Try to move burglar first so that he ie not near anybody! And be hided! Don`t buy any non success upgrades untill you have one or two or three success cards bought first (increase your ods). Don`t attack if there Are not Many succes left anymore in the deck. So count your chances before the action! Some tips in there that could help in the Middle Earth.

We just fail those 3 success challenges over and over and time runs out. (When your looking for the tracks)

Edited by Yivrael

That is what happened to us in our three-player game. We understood how the threat value rises, so we did everything we could to mitigate the threat value. But we could not manage to pass the needed checks to get the tracks found in time. The threat value maxed out at the same time two different characters failed their Last Stand challenges (fourth challenge for Legolas, and second challenge for Aragorn).

Edited by Edsel62

Nah. The damage has already been suffered.

It's only getting worse such as getting infected, or the pain making you grow weaker - thematically speaking.

I rarely put travel garb to good use since facedown damage has been quite rare for me in the first 3 adventures. I might upgrade that one first once lore permits it.

Edited by Shirys

The good news is, after you hit a lore threshold, your gear upgrades automatically- you just have to tell it what the items upgrade into. I had 4 out of 5 of my non-group items upgrade at the same time. You don't spend lore like XP.

So when you have say four Lore, all the items that require that much Lore "level up?" You don't have to spend them to chose an item to upgrade? That's pretty sweet.

You got it exactly, I believe the app will prompt you: I think they glow golden when ready for upgrade.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:09 PM, KrisWall said:

I need to read the rules, but in most FFG games the concept of "suffering damage" is a defined concept. You've likely suffered a face up damage and then simply flipped it face down. You didn't actually suffer a facedown damage.

thank you! this clears up the travel garb for me. I've been watching a YouTube series rolling solo and he is removing each damage that gets flipped faceup to facedown. I was very confused and it didn't sound right.

Shadowed Paths adds 2 new heroes who start with Travel Garb, with the 2 heroes from the core game that makes 4. There are only 2 Travel Garb equipment cards in the equipment deck. What do you do if you want to play a game with those 4 heroes. This is also the case with other heroes who start with the same equipment.

You will have to choose alternate gear for some heroes. This can be done in the app during the campaign setup. There is a screen that shows each character's equipment. To change it, simply click on the gear you would like to change and select an alternate from the list.

Of course selecting alternate gear is always an option, even if there are no conflicts with the default selections. I find playing around with different gear and roles for the heroes is quite fun and brings a lot of entertainment to the game.

This is about the Ringmail Gimli starts with, armour is designed to protect the wearer from taking some or all of the damage. Gimli's tier1 ringmail, doesn't negate any damage at all. It lowers Agility by 1 (Gimli only has 2 Agility), and if

you Test Wisdom, Spirit or Wit, you may Test Might. This has never happened as it has always come up Test Might or Agility, depending what type of combat he has been the target of. A friend of mine who wears Chainmail, when fighting battles with the Dark Ages Society, finds this ludicrous, and says it effects endurance rather than Agility. one option we have added is to have it negate 1 damage.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, paulhowell177 said:

one option we have added is to have it negate 1 damage.

That would make it ridiculously OP as far as tier 1 armor goes, especially where Gimli's should already be doing exactly this reliably. Honestly, I think it's pretty on par with the Travel Garb and Cloak. It triggers about as often as the Travel Garb, and I've never used the tier 1 cloak ability.

Really, I've found that all the tier 1 armor is used pretty rarely.

4 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Really, I've found that all the tier 1 armor is used pretty rarely.

There are only 4 successes in the starting deck, Gimli has a max inspiration of 3, We have found that his chance of negating damage is all but non-existent. The couple of times we have used him he has failed his 2nd last stand, at about threat level 50 on part 1 of the initial campaign.

The ring mail is pretty much useless on Gimli, or any dwarf for that matter.

There have been several suggested tweaks to make it better, before shadowed paths released an improved tier 2 and tier 3 version. But the tier 1 version remains utter garbage.

it’s true the tier 1 garb and cloak are mostly useless, but at least they don’t gimp a stat. The only fix for this would be to remove the -1 agility. Since this kind of defeats the whole flavour of the card, I simply don’t use ring mail on heros with 2 agility.

Gimli is much better with the travel garb anyway. He wants to scout as much as possible to develop his combat arsenal, and the tier 2 and 3 travel garbs provide that, without gimping agility.