Treasure Idea: Rune of Transport

By skunkstrype, in Descent Home Brews

Here is a treasure idea I have come up with.

Transport

Other - Rune

You may spend one movement point to move to town as if you had used a glyph. (To return from town you must use a glyph as normal.) You may not use this rune and a glyph during the same turn.

I was thinking of making this a silver treasure, what do you think?

I was thinking about a very similar concept (a hero who could move to town without transport glyphs).

I really like your idea, but it seems to me to be a little bit over-powered. I would recommend to change it to a cursed item. The hero who uses it can flee at any time to town for a movement point, but every time he equips this rune, he will get a curse.

Hmm.

Interesting idea.

I'm not convinced it's overpowered. It *may* be- it looks like the sort of thing that might be exploitable, but I can't think of anything particularly abusable one could do with off-hand. It looks mostly useful for getting a badly-wounded hero instantly and safely to town before they get killed, or jumping a runner to town to protect them after completing a circuit of the room (of course, there's often a glyph *in* the room to do that, but not always). To be honest, I think if anything, it looks quite weak.

I can only suggest trying it out to see how it works, which is obvious, if sound, advice.

YellowPebble said:

To be honest, I think if anything, it looks quite weak

Weak? I think it's hard to imagine a better "other"-item. It is the perfect item for every runner. You can run without any rear cover into every area, grab all items and teleport out before the monsters will get close to a chance to stop you. Especially in RTL, every OL will hate this item.

Moreover, with this item circling around from hero to wounded hero, it will become very hard to kill a wounded hero if he doesn't need a glyph any more to escape from the dungeon.

Never underestimate glyph-of-transport-tactics. And never underestimate an item that simplifies these tactics.

Graf said:

YellowPebble said:

To be honest, I think if anything, it looks quite weak

Weak? I think it's hard to imagine a better "other"-item. It is the perfect item for every runner. You can run without any rear cover into every area, grab all items and teleport out before the monsters will get close to a chance to stop you. Especially in RTL, every OL will hate this item.

Moreover, with this item circling around from hero to wounded hero, it will become very hard to kill a wounded hero if he doesn't need a glyph any more to escape from the dungeon.

Never underestimate glyph-of-transport-tactics. And never underestimate an item that simplifies these tactics.

+1

Graf said:

For clarity, my comments apply to vanilla only: I've never played the campaign game.

Yes, you can run into an area, grab all the items, and teleport out, but most of the time you can do this *anyway*, because there is a glyph in the area in the first place. Since you'll want to activate the glyph as top priority if there is one, you often won't save much.

Compare this with Wings of Regiroth (a Gold item, to be sure, but the comparison is still telling). WoR is far, far and away better for a runner than this is. It lets them ignore all obstacles and figures and increases their movement into the bargain.

Passing this from hero to hero is going to be **** difficult, and only one hero can use it per turn in any case. Also, it's a Rune, so it interferes with Armour.

I would still be interested in testing it, but I'm very much of the opinion that it isn't that good. It's not terrible, certainly, but I think it's on the weak side of average.

YellowPebble said:

Graf said:

For clarity, my comments apply to vanilla only: I've never played the campaign game.

Yes, you can run into an area, grab all the items, and teleport out, but most of the time you can do this *anyway*, because there is a glyph in the area in the first place. Since you'll want to activate the glyph as top priority if there is one, you often won't save much.

Compare this with Wings of Regiroth (a Gold item, to be sure, but the comparison is still telling). WoR is far, far and away better for a runner than this is. It lets them ignore all obstacles and figures and increases their movement into the bargain.

Passing this from hero to hero is going to be **** difficult, and only one hero can use it per turn in any case. Also, it's a Rune, so it interferes with Armour.

I would still be interested in testing it, but I'm very much of the opinion that it isn't that good. It's not terrible, certainly, but I think it's on the weak side of average.

Well, in the campaign game it is unacceptably broken* . It gives you an entire extra turn (that's what it takes to use a glyph) for 1 fatigue and you don't need to be next to a glyph at the start of your turn (which is a major factor) and you don't even need a glyph where you want to jump from.

For vanilla it's strength isn't really for the runner, who, as you say, will often be getting back to the glyph anyway. It's strength is for the slow heavy hitter and the party backstop - the heroes that aren't up the front running to activate (and use) glyphs easily.

The rune/armour thing is a red herring because the hero can equip it at the start of his turn and end his turn in town, so he doesn't have to worry about armour when he uses it.

* I guess that means it either needs a complete rework or an additional note: 'Remove this item form the deck when playing an Advanced Campaign.'

Corbon said:

The rune/armour thing is a red herring because the hero can equip it at the start of his turn and end his turn in town, so he doesn't have to worry about armour when he uses it.

Not entirely. That requires planning ahead (so you can't suddenly decide to teleport to town if your attack misses, for example), sacrifices a backpack slot, and leaves the hero vulnerable if his turn/movement is ended suddenly (e.g. by a Paralyzing Gas trap).

I like the concept of this item, But I also like the idea of making it a cursed item. And if you are going to do that, simply add a clause to it. "unequip after each use" This adds a slight amount of pressure to the hero party. Yeah, you could buy the curse doll but that is 200 coins each time. And if you don't buy it, or keep the curse tokens in check, one well placed trap or spawn could destroy the heroes. I like it.

You also have to take into account that this item will totally null the Overlord's dark glyphs.

I also agree that this item could not be used in the Advanced Campaign.

Actually, I am playing the vanilla set, and my group is playing with several variants that I created myself. There is one item that is very similar to what you described, except that it is more like a potion item than an Other Rune.

You can easily make 2 beautiful Scroll tokens for this.

Recall Scroll
(Max Stock: 2)
(Available in Town for 75 gold each)
Use during your turn. Spend 2 Fatigue to immediately return to Town. You may return to the Dungeon again via any activated town Glyphs.

*This gives players a chance to escape out of the dungeon and into sanctuary. But it can only be done in their turn, which means when injured, they take the risk of dying still, if they decide to stay just that little bit longer, and the OL kills them during his turn before they can even escape.

As a "fulltime" OL (Vanilla stage), I consider this rune idea lame. It would give you the advantage to loot the treasures, items, runes ... whatever and hit the escape button. All I can do at that time is to play space traps or charm (just a guess on the charm). If i'm lucky i could do some harm. I think the game already has given the heroes the edge for victory as it is. I meen, look at that frekkin gold treasure - Frost Axe, pierce 3 with 1 surge, and guess what - it can stack. Or maybe you perfer Word of vaal? God **** i hate that AoE. With that irritating respons that you never wanted on your thread said, I got 2 last statements to do:

If you wanna defeat a computer "god" with escape items; Play Diablo or something. The computer doesen't have feelings if you cheat or bash the **** thing right in.

If you wanna defeat a human "god"; Play descent!

P.S But if I were playing as a hero, I would love it ;)

PEACE!

My comment on the item is the fact that my players ALREADY abuse the Glyphs. Unless I've misread the rules and mis-taught them to the players in my games, that is. This item would make abuse far simpler. I would make it a one-use item, rather than something they can use any time by just sacrificing some Fatigue.

Step 1: Increase Movement, or get a card that allows you to make an attack after a Move-Move action (Advance?).

Step 2: Lure monsters close to a Town Glyph.

Step 3: Go to town.

Step 4: Leave town.

Step 5: Attack monster with ranged weapon, or Melee weapon if they are close enough.

Step 6: Use the glyph to return to town.

Step 7: Rinse and repeat.

My friend found this little exploit, and decided to make good use of it. He defeated an army of Beastmen and Skeletons single-handedly without having ANY treasures other than the standard ones from town. There were 3 Master Beastmen, 6 Beastmen, 2 Master Skeletons, 4 Skeletons, and 3 Bane Spiders.

You can only glyph once per turn, which means if you start your turn in town and enter the dungeon, you have to end your turn in the dungeon and give the monsters a chance to fight back.

You can still do a lot of really powerful stuff with glyphs, but it sounds like you've made a severe rules mistake.