A strange game...

By franzvong, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

First of all, this is far from a review. I've played one scenario, in solo, while learning the rules, so everything I say could be reversed in the long run...

... but at the moment I cannot stop thinking that this is a game that tries to do everything and unfortunately does not achieve much.

It wants to be a dungeon crawler, but it's too shallow in its mechanics. Basically, everything consists in revealing cards from the top of a deck...

It wants to be an rpg, but personalization is really limited and not much has happened so far to really demonstrate a big differentiation in the classes or characters. There are a few decisions here and there, but the game does not change if you have taken a class or another...

It says "Lord of the Rings", but it could be any fantasy setting so far (ok, still early to judge, but just seeing Bilbo, Gimli and Legolas in the same party when they never met before the War it's already a strange setting decision)

Again, it's really early to give a final judgment, but it's a game that seems to have been released with the clear need for some expansions to add some "beef" to the meal, be it in more mechanics (after Gloomhaven, dungeon crawlers need to step up to compete) or a better narrative experience.

On the good side, game material is gorgeous, the app works very well and there are a few funny moments when the revealed card is really what was neede at the moment. Everything is there to make a great game, there's just something missing to make it happen...

EDIT: app is downgraded to "good", as you cannot save full game situation in it, basically forcing to write down positions and cards instead of recording everything in the app. Not dramatic, just another "meh" thing

Edited by franzvong

I would not put much weight on a single scenario, first few scenarios are mostly to teach you how to play the game. Another thing people are missing is this is a living game that will grow in complexity and depth as more content is added.

Edited by Sealord
grammar

Some thoughts, not meant to be critical but maybe to consider or expand on:

2 hours ago, franzvong said:

It wants to be an rpg, but personalization is really limited  and not much has happened so far to really demonstrate a big  differentiation in the classes or characters. There are a few  decisions here and there, but the game does not  ch  ange if you have taken a class or another...

Well, you did say you only played one scenario. Not many RPGs see big differentiations in characters and classes that early. Could that be the case here?

Again  , it's really early to give a final judgment, but it's a game    t  hat seems to have been released with the clear need     for some exp  ansions to add some "beef" to the meal, be it in more  mechanics  (a  fter Gloomhaven, dungeon cra  w  lers nee  d to step up to compete) or a better narrative   exper  i  e  nc  e      . 

Two thoughts. 1) Needing more meat near doesn’t surprise me. Comparing to IA which had more missions, a wave of figure packs, and a 2nd play mode... I expected that. 2) Comparing most games to Gloomhaven is just unfair.

Everything   is there to make a great game, there's  just something missing to make it happen  ...       

In what way? Do you feel like expansions will help, or does it feel like a core issue?

EDIT: app     is dow       ngraded to "good", as you cannot save full game situation in it, basically forcing to write down positions and cards instead of recording everything in the ap  p. Not dramatic, just another "meh" thing 

Anyone whose played FFG’s other apps expected this. I recommend using your phone to take pictures. It’s much faster and easier than writing it all down.

I and my 3 boys have just finished our first mission: we won on the very last turn. We immediately wanted to play again, but a strange event called "supper" got in the way. My boys were repeatedly saying that they loved it. Perhaps some of that might've been the new-ness factor, but we're all having a great time so far. We've already got the 2nd mission set up so that we can jump right into it when we're free tomorrow.

We also have Gloomhaven, and we're actually on our second play-through of it. And yes, I do think that GH is better...but that's because GH is quite simply the best cooperative dungeon crawler board game ever made. I agree with Uninvited: comparing JiME to GH is like comparing all basketball players to Michael Jordan--they can still be really good , even if they're not as good as #23.

7 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Well, you did say you only played one scenario. Not many RPGs see big differentiations in characters and classes that early. Could that be the case here?

Indeed it could be the case. It could also be that I played it defensively, mostly storing cards without success symbols (usually the ones with the most class/character-related effect). On the other hand, most of the impression comes from the fact that you don't really do much more than revealing cards from the deck, it's hard to convey a flavour with such a "generic" mechanic

Two thoughts. 1) Needing more meat near doesn’t surprise me. Comparing to IA which had more missions, a wave of figure packs, and a 2nd play mode... I expected that. 2) Comparing most games to Gloomhaven is just unfair.

I agree with the comparison with GH, but it can be hardly ignored. In the end I suspect most of Journeys has been developed after the release of GH, so I would aspect some influence. Anyway, I think this will be solved with expansions and thanks to players' feedback, so I'm not that much worried

Do you feel like expansions will help, or does it feel like a core issue?  

I think too much emphasis has been put on a single trick, that while it works and it's funny, it's also equivalent to a dice roll in the end (modified and tempered by deck building, so to be fair it's a bit more than that). I would have prefered if skill tests and combat would use two different mechanics, this from my point of view would have helped both in differentiating characters and giving a bit more variety to the gameplay.

Cool, thanks for the response.

Having yet to do play the game I actually had been viewing the deck mechanic as an improvement on Gloomhaven’s attack modifier deck. I know how that sounds, but hear me out:

The attack modifier deck in GH only affects attack (hence the name), there are no skill tests in the game. After a few attacks (that don’t pull a 2x or null) you always know what’s left in your deck and there is NOTHING you can do except attack again until you draw a reshuffle card.

My hope was in JIME, you’re doing tests on things other than combat. So having an idea of what’s left in your deck might bring a choice when you have a high or low chance of success: do I attack and probably miss, or do I interact where failing is not as big of a deal.

It sounds like a disappointment, but easily house ruled. I said in another that you could make end of round shuffling only occur if you have x% of your cards left in the deck. I also said I’ll try the game RAW before messing with it though.

I played it twice at Adepticon and am personally very much so looking forward to getting it--though I'm likely stuck waiting until my birthday next month.

Having played some LotR LCG and enjoying it thoroughly--but feeling like you can only complete many of the missions if you have a much larger card pool than I could afford--this new game gave me that same excitement for flavor and deckbuilding (on a lesser level in that area, for now, but hopefully expansions will make that more interesting. There's no way they're not coming out with Hero expansions for the rest of the Fellowship at the very least.) at what feels like a much more attainable budget.

Plus you get sweet minis! :D

Looking forward to seeing the growth, and hopefully my wife enjoys this game better than the LCG, since it won't hopefully feel hopeless for us to win 😂

Played through the first scenario and enjoyed it very much. Somehow it incorporates some of my favorite aspects of Runebound 3rd, Descent with app, and Mansions of Madness. All wrapped up in my favorite setting. I can't complain.

I say bring on the comparisons to Gloomhaven. I say this because I think Gloomhaven is the largest over-hyped puzzle game with zero immersion ever Kickstarted or produced normally. I own it and have played 20+ times and expected to "get" what other people see in it, but never did. Hey, you just got a super duper chest reward, what is it???? Oh, another scenario unlocked, aren't there already 100. Oh, I have a really cool Ability, but must wait about 10 minutes until I get my energy up enough (cycle through my cards) before I can do it again. Oh, we cleared all the bad guys but I'm just too tired (ran out of cards) to go over there and finish.

Then there are some things that are innovative but weird. Ex. The way you can manipulate your modifier deck was super cool but how you gained 'experience' enough to do it was wonky. Secret Objectives that were random and un-immersive. The enemy AI had great potential but fell flat. I actually like the AI in Descent app (and moreso the Imperial Assault app) better in effect although again the GH AI had potential.

I hate de-railing the topic but have to jump in and let others know GH is not the bomb. I seriously think if Descent had never existed before but some indie company Kickstarted it right now with a high price point and with all these unlock-able stretch goals, such as new Heroes or Item Cards or Monster groups, then it would have been a Huge Hit like GH. Maybe moreso because the dice mechanic with the innovate Surges that can be spent for a myriad of different Abilities is much more immersive and fun then the slog of a deck building mess that GH is.

Back on topic, I am very excited for what JiME offers out of the box and can't wait to see what they do with it with expansions! Happy Gaming!