Ani, Lumi, & Two Torrents go to Hyperspace Trials (with PICS!)

By wurms, in X-Wing Battle Reports

After debating about what to take between Quad Arcs, TIE Salad with Vader and Soontir, or Ani Lumi Torrents, I settled on Ani Lumi Torrents after a couple practice games earlier in the week. Ani is just really good. I went Lumi over Ahsoka (the more popular choice) for a couple reasons, she keeps my torrents alive longer, and is 2pts cheaper than Ahsoka version, giving me a 4pt bid over a 2pt bid.

Round 1 vs Maarek, Two saber interceptors, and a Tempest Squadron, think they all had stealth device and then fcs on adv and other goodies.

MA5Vo8h.jpg?2

Opponent brings the Tempest down my right side, sabers and maarek down middle. After some pot shots on the tempest, my torrents turn into sabers and maarek, with Lumi supporting from behind. Anakin going up middle toward sabers. Opponent turns trying to catch Anakin in the middle, but one saber clips a rock and I erase it with Anakin and lumi.

y8SNjsl.jpg?1

The remaining saber is stressed and pointing away from action, so I dont have to worry about it, so I set my sites on Maarek (image above). Left torrent 3 straights, right torrent banks 1 left. Lumi turns right toward tempest. Maarek 1 banks toward torrents and Anakin 2 banks and gets range 1 on Maarek. Maarek gets hurt this round to 2 hull remaining, I block Maarek next round, and Anakin sloops behind him, does his ability, and locks maarek and deletes him off the board. Lumi takes out the tempest. The saber doesnt live long after that, but does take a Torrent off the board with an aggressive range 1 shot.

Win: 200-25

Round 2 vs Anakin with Calibrated, two ps2 arcs with 7th gunner, torrent.

This game gets pretty messy in the middle. We are both doing a good job of spreading damage across our ships while protecting our anakins. I do manage to plink the shield off his anakin while he is hunting lumi and takes her shields with a nice block.

FeMxQ6I.jpg?1

Game was mostly he chasing Lumi, while potshotting a torrent, and me pressuring his Anakin. Time is called, last round. Im losing 57-27. I need 1 dmg on his Anakin to win. His anakin kturns, gets range 1 on my anakin. My anakin, sloops gets range 1 of his Anakin, and barrel rolls out of his arc to the side and focuses.

0rdjLZF.jpg?1

I have a lock already from previous round. Full mod range 1 shot. I roll 3 hits and blank. Lock rolls blank into a blank. He rolls natty evades. 0 dmg. Ugh. Felt good in the game. Opponent is a friend and got some good blocks and flew well. I probably should have run and regen with Lumi, but I had no way of knowing my torrent would evade all attacks in last round and not lose half points. Close game, that I think I should have taken. Ah well :) Was a really fun match.

Round 3 vs 5 TIE Strikers and WAMPA!!!

This game was all about position and getting a first engagement that I am happy about and sets me up in future rounds. I hug the edge of the board and 1 bank, b-roll backwards, while his strikers maneuver across the map. I am hugging one corner of the map with gas clouds. If I am to win this match, my ships need that free evade from multiple shots.

He kind of splits his squad into two, and then banks them inward to a kill box. I just 1 straight a torrent in there as fodder, and bring the other torrent and Anakin around a gas cloud, while Lumi get range 1 on another striker. I do 1dmg to both strikers, and it takes all his ships to kill a torrent.

Next round is a bunch of 2 sloops from strikers, and I sloop Lumi out of like 3 arcs. Anakin gets range 1 of a striker and he and lumi ps kill it.

JEhwaDx.jpg?1

Next round (after the image above) lumi 1 banks right toward injured striker and is blocked by the striker just to the right of her (which I was expecting), and anakin 1 banks right and gets range 1 of a striker and he and lumi ps kill it. The torrent does 1 dmg to another striker giving me half pts on it, and then I lose the torrent. Time is called and Lumi bails to the right and anakin 3 banks over the middle gas cloud, takes two shots but evades them both.

Win: 85-50

Round 4 vs Vader, Soontir, Maarek with a 15pt bid

I bring my squad up on right side. He has vader flanking left, and Maarek Soontir in the middle. A torrent rolls a bunch a blanks and dies quickly. Maarek blocks Anakin with a afterburners boost. Lumi range 1 on Soontir does zip.

PLCldDK.jpg?1

Next round, Torrent blocks Vader, Lumi locks vader range 2, Anakin locks vader range 1. Two full modded shots and I roll horribly, and I think vader only had to spend 1 force and took zero damage, while my anakin lost all shield and a crit. I knew that was pretty much game. If I could get half on vader, then Anakin could run and regen. But I whiffed on my attacks, and now gotta get more aggressive. A couple round later I range 1 maarek for half pts but Lumi's attacks on Vader not doing anything. Vader range 3 on Anakin and I blank out. Anakin dies. My opponent flew Soontir spectacularly though. Very aggressive and caught me off guard a couple times with risky turns.

Loss - 28-107

Round 5 vs Fenn,Adv Sensors Guri, L337 shuttle, minging tie.

KlZo1xC.jpg?1

Anakin flanks right side, Torrents and Lumi bank towards middle. Four shots on Guri, only do 1 shield. Fenn range 3 on my anakin, rolls all paint, and I blank out and Anakin loses all shields early. UGH. Dice hate me today. I go into aggressive mode, chasing down his fenn rau. During the game I get a range 1 full modded on fenn, but lock fails me and I only get 3 hits and fenn rolls 3 paint. Then I get another range 1 later in the game, and roll 3 crits and 1 hit, and Fenn rolls 3 natty evades and concords into an evade (didnt even half to spend his focus, which he gets to use to attack Lumi). Finally, I get 1 dmg in on Fenn. But I've pretty much loss the game by now. Opponent flew great, but **** his green dice showed paint the entire match. My attack dice were not bad this game, just his green dice were insane. I couldnt do 1 dmg to his shuttle with a few shots from my torrents, and could barely touch his tie fighter.

aHMPY2n.jpg?1

Loss - 12-146

Record 2-3

Conclusion:

Things did not go my way in crucial parts of the games. I setup range 1 full mod shots and I whiff or opponent natty evaded. This was all day for me. Got a little frustrating. The list is good though, and I think if 1 or two rolls go my way in these games, then I im winning. Overall, I had fun and its nice flying against opponents you know and can have fun with. Good day of Xwing even though my showing wasnt so great!

Edited by wurms

Great write-up! Do you think your choice of Lumi over Ashoka was worth it? Did you get proper use of her ability?

16 hours ago, Samurai33 said:

Great write-up! Do you think your choice of Lumi over Ashoka was worth it? Did you get proper use of her ability?

Havent tried ashoka. I just chose Lumi for the initiative and 2pts less cost. I dont think there is a right or wrong choice here. Mace would be nice too. Saesee Tiin could have been huge in a couple games, the Anakin Arc matchup in round 2. I would like a big bid with him though!!!

In the striker match Lumi was phenominal because they were slooping or losing actions over clouds. She probably saved 5+ damage at least over the game. And against Soontir and Fenn, its as good as a dodge since they like to keep their focus for defense. If you are threatening them with shots, they wont spend it. A few games she wasnt great like Vader who has a pile of force, or low ps ships that fire last dont care about spending focuses. But if the torrents can get blocks, Lumi comes in big as well.

Would like to try Anakin and Ashoka with an Arc or 3rd jedi.

Edited by wurms
On 4/15/2019 at 1:57 AM, wurms said:

Havent tried ashoka. I just chose Lumi for the initiative and 2pts less cost. I dont think there is a right or wrong choice here. Mace would be nice too. Saesee Tiin could have been huge in a couple games, the Anakin Arc matchup in ound 2. I would like a big bid with him though!!!

This is exactly why I've been flying Luminara too (this exact same list actually). There's a lot of I3 and 4 pilots in hyperspace right now and having the second Jedi be I4 and a slightly bigger bid is huge in certain matchups. What I do like about the Jedi is that there is pretty much one for all tastes, so pick whichever one suits your style, and pair with Anakin. Job done.

Good to read about matchups with the list, I'm finding playing it is making me rethink the way I approach playing the game so any extra info is super helpful.

Edited by Red42
18 minutes ago, Red42 said:

This is exactly why I've been flying Luminara too (this exact same list actually). There's a lot of I3 and 4 pilots in hyperspace right now and having the second Jedi be I4 and a slightly bigger bid is huge in certain matchups. What I do like about the Jedi is that there is pretty much one for all tastes, so pick whichever one suits your style, and pair with Anakin. Job done.

Good to read about matchups with the list, I'm finding playing it is making me rethink the way I approach playing the game so any extra info is super helpful.

Id drop r2 from lumi for a bigger bid. 8pts should win you bid against most lists. Anakin moving last is more important than regen for lumi I think.

14 hours ago, wurms said:

Id drop r2 from lumi for a bigger bid. 8pts should win you bid against most lists. Anakin moving last is more important than regen for lumi I think.

I think you can make a case either way and it's just personal preference. I'm 12 games (8-4 overall) in with the list and the regen has definitely been a contributing factor in more games than a bigger bid would have. But then it depends what you're coming across on the other side of the table as well, really.

What's the full list?