Another missed opportunity

By tibia, in Heroes of Terrinoth

All the hype is for The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth , but this is the game they should have developed.

After Asmodee acquisition, FFG fails every opportunity to develop good games: only money is important now 😞

I do wish they’d release something for this game. I’ve been eagerly awaiting new content. Plus, being their own IP, figured it would be a no brainer.

It seems Asmodee/FFG are non interested in this game: no news, no preview, nothing 😞 Probably Asmodee acquisition had only one thing in mind: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY and not to sell good products 😞 They have one good product here, but no intention to support it 😞

I know that the purpose of the Internet is complaining - but what opportunity?? Both games are incredibly different, and both can exist. I would love an expansion for HoT but the LOTR game existing has nothing to do with it coming out or not. HoT sales influence that.

HoT sales are good (as stated by the brothers), but no expansion is announced or requested to the developers. For JiME the expansions were announced before the game was out!!!! It is clear where Asmodee/FFG is putting the money 😉

BTW, I would be happy if Asmodee/FFG will read my complaint: unfortunately it is not supported by other players and this says that the players are not willing anything new for this game (in Asmodee/FFG perception) 😞

52 minutes ago, tibia said:

HoT sales are good (as stated by the brothers), but no expansion is announced or requested to the developers. For JiME the expansions were announced before the game was out!!!! It is clear where Asmodee/FFG is putting the money 😉

BTW, I would be happy if Asmodee/FFG will read my complaint: unfortunately it is not supported by other players and this says that the players are not willing anything new for this game (in Asmodee/FFG perception) 😞

JiME is a great game and due to its IP will sell well, so no wonder they are betting on it. Again - it is not that they have to choose between doing one or the other, it's not that HoT expansions would make millions and they refuse to publish them. This is FFG still, if the expansion is financially a good idea it will come out.

That said - JiME doesn't have an expansion announced, not really. Only a box of 3 miniatures, a tradition FFG started with Descent 2nd edition and still continues, it's really an expansion, just a blister pack, similar to cosmetic DLC, designed at the same time as the base game. The app campaign might be considered closer to an expansion, but I don't think any of the additional Descent/Imperial assault campaign were considered that.

22 hours ago, Borsook said:

Again - it is not that they have to choose between doing one or the other, it's not that HoT expansions would make millions and they refuse to publish them. This is FFG still, if the expansion is financially a good idea it will come out.

You are right with the first part of the sentence, but they will do it (i.e. no HoT expansion because of JiME).

I don't agree on the second part: this is no more FFG, this is Asmodee/FFG i.e. only money counts i.e. if an expantion doesn't sell millions they will not publish it also if it would be "slightly" remunerative and it would be a good product.

I hope to be wrong: the future will tell 🙂

On 5/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, tibia said:

You are right with the first part of the sentence, but they will do it (i.e. no HoT expansion because of JiME).

I don't agree on the second part: this is no more FFG, this is Asmodee/FFG i.e. only money counts i.e. if an expantion doesn't sell millions they will not publish it also if it would be "slightly" remunerative and it would be a good product.

I hope to be wrong: the future will tell 🙂

Personally I don't see a big difference between FFG and Asmodee/FFG, all the terrible practices like blisters with minis started before Asmodee. And HoT was published by new FFG, so it means they believed in the product, whether it sold good enough to warrant an expansion is something neither of us knows. I do hope we will get one and not have to mix the two games together for some variety :) However, I am certain that if they decide not to publish it is because it doesn't make business sense and not out of spite.

How do you consider this? Isn't it an Asmodee/FFG missed opportunity or is the business too little for them? Do you still expect expansions for HoT? 😉 BTW, FFG now is only an Asmodee brand so the decisions are fully Asmodee responsibility (since Christian Petersen stepped out!!!) and you see the results (at least for the players: maybe business is growing for them): if you want a good product you have to look elsewhere 😉

Honestly this is why I never really looked at HoT. If it is an in house product it's not worth getting any level of investment in. You can view it as a self fulfilling prophecy but given how FFG quietly drops all support for products without announcing it unless a partnership has ended it really has killed a lot of my interest in anything they release.

I don't care about Game of Thrones and actually strongly dislike it, I don't care about Star Wars, and I don't care about Legend of the Five Rings card game, or their in house card game they want to push to compete with themselves and Magic. They abandoned their own developed fantasy setting and their own unique RP System (Genesys) that had potential but required actual investment in.

At this point, you'd have to wonder why they even bothered to release this. I'm sure that the 148th deck pack for the LoTR card game, or another Star Wars game would have made more sense :). It seems these big licenses, like GoT, Star Wars, and LoTR, and the need to keep pumping out content to pay for them, is killing any resource investment into games like this, Runebound 3rd edition, etc. I don't know how well that's working out for them overall, but the amount of $$ *I've* spent on FFG products has gone down drastically over the last 18 months.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, Wulfborn said:

Honestly this is why I never really looked at HoT. If it is an in house product it's not worth getting any level of investment in. You can view it as a self fulfilling prophecy but given how FFG quietly drops all support for products without announcing it unless a partnership has ended it really has killed a lot of my interest in anything they release.

I don't care about Game of Thrones and actually strongly dislike it, I don't care about Star Wars, and I don't care about Legend of the Five Rings card game, or their in house card game they want to push to compete with themselves and Magic. They abandoned their own developed fantasy setting and their own unique RP System (Genesys) that had potential but required actual investment in.

You do realize game has to sell well to get an expansion? If you do not want to invest in it, why would they? They prefer Star Wars because people buy these product instead of complaining. And - Genesys was after all included in inflight report. :)

6 hours ago, Borsook said:

You do realize game has to sell well to get an expansion? If you do not want to invest in it, why would they? They prefer Star Wars because people buy these product instead of complaining. And - Genesys was after all included in inflight report. :)

So Asmodee vision about "selling well" is quite ... steep since the Sadler's said that the game sold well 😉 Giving a good service to players is not in their targets since they are not producing an expansion for a really good game 😞

On 8/11/2019 at 8:04 AM, tibia said:

So Asmodee vision about "selling well" is quite ... steep since the Sadler's said that the game sold well 😉 Giving a good service to players is not in their targets since they are not producing an expansion for a really good game 😞

You are right there. When your point of reference are Keyforge, LOTR LCG, Star Wars games, games like HoT seem like they are not selling well enough.

W LoTR'rze jest dorzucane tylko coraz więcej tego samego tylko z innymi ilustracjami. Domyślam się, że z mnogością dodatków do HoT było by podobnie. Ale Borsuk masz rację, kurde olali jedne tytuły na rzecz drugich. FFG tak by nie postąpiło, FFG starało by się zainteresować graczy nowym dodatkiem. Asmodee ma to w dupie, a jeśli tak to ma w dupie swoich graczy.

Nie chcę mi się dobierać słów po angielsku, po język angielski jest ubogi w słowa ^^