The Rise Of Skywalker on Disney+ May 4th

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in Star Wars: Legion

IMO the biggest screw up in the whole storytelling was caused by Lucas in taking two of the greatest characters in the OT and having them essentially become completely cringeworthy in what they did.

Both R2D2 AND Yoda were great in the OT until he PT /the clone wars series essentially changed things up so he what both of them did in the OT made absolutely no sense.

Yoda , who stood up to the emporer in the PT , goes into hiding and refused to help the ongoing fight against the empire becoming a grumpy little ball of green. In what way is this any different from what Luke does . Both Yoda and Luke stood up against the greatest evil in the galaxy and then when they fail they go into hiding and become grumpy and initially refuse to train they respective successors (Luke and Rey) in his case , essentially tooling with them before ultimately changing their mind. Both feeling guilt over bringing about the end of a Jedi order.

Now R2 D2 when you take into account the things that they make him learn in the PT and the clone wars. R2D2 , who starts off the OT on the planet where he originally met. Anakin. He was present when Anakin killed the sand people, he was present when he married Padme, he was present when Anakin became Darth Vader, he was there when Anakin choked Padme which led to her death, he was present when both Leia and Luke were born and separated off to their respective families and knew they were brother and sister. He travelled with Yoda to Dagobah, and even likely knew this was where he was exiled. When he !at back up with Yoda did he alert Luke, did he help Luke and warn him what the planet was like, did he even tell him that this little green thing was Yoda, the sole living Jedi Master.

R2D2 is ultimately the worst plot problem in the whole of the 9 films because of the storytelling that was put into the prequels and the Clone Wars/Rebels series. He alone had access to information that could have helped the rebellion (like who Darth Vader was) even who both Luke and Leia were, what to expect on Dagobah, and even who Yoda was, but the little **** said nothing to anybody over the time of the OT. A massive series of plot holes that could have been fixed if they allowed R2 to have been memory wiped at some point, which is something they have been really keen on saying has never happened.

11 minutes ago, syrath said:

IMO the biggest screw up in the whole storytelling was caused by Lucas in taking two of the greatest characters in the OT and having them essentially become completely cringeworthy in what they did.

Both R2D2 AND Yoda were great in the OT until he PT /the clone wars series essentially changed things up so he what both of them did in the OT made absolutely no sense.

Yoda , who stood up to the emporer in the PT , goes into hiding and refused to help the ongoing fight against the empire becoming a grumpy little ball of green. In what way is this any different from what Luke does . Both Yoda and Luke stood up against the greatest evil in the galaxy and then when they fail they go into hiding and become grumpy and initially refuse to train they respective successors (Luke and Rey) in his case , essentially tooling with them before ultimately changing their mind. Both feeling guilt over bringing about the end of a Jedi order.

Now R2 D2 when you take into account the things that they make him learn in the PT and the clone wars. R2D2 , who starts off the OT on the planet where he originally met. Anakin. He was present when Anakin killed the sand people, he was present when he married Padme, he was present when Anakin became Darth Vader, he was there when Anakin choked Padme which led to her death, he was present when both Leia and Luke were born and separated off to their respective families and knew they were brother and sister. He travelled with Yoda to Dagobah, and even likely knew this was where he was exiled. When he !at back up with Yoda did he alert Luke, did he help Luke and warn him what the planet was like, did he even tell him that this little green thing was Yoda, the sole living Jedi Master.

R2D2 is ultimately the worst plot problem in the whole of the 9 films because of the storytelling that was put into the prequels and the Clone Wars/Rebels series. He alone had access to information that could have helped the rebellion (like who Darth Vader was) even who both Luke and Leia were, what to expect on Dagobah, and even who Yoda was, but the little **** said nothing to anybody over the time of the OT. A massive series of plot holes that could have been fixed if they allowed R2 to have been memory wiped at some point, which is something they have been really keen on saying has never happened.

It also drives me crazy that they had already established that Obi-Wan in ANH didn't recognize R2-D2, yet decided to make him a big part of the prequels anyway.

16t1fp8cmx541.jpg

14 hours ago, syrath said:

R2D2 is ultimately the worst plot problem in the whole of the 9 films because of the storytelling that was put into the prequels and the Clone Wars/Rebels series. He alone had access to information that could have helped the rebellion (like who Darth Vader was) even who both Luke and Leia were, what to expect on Dagobah, and even who Yoda was, but the little **** said nothing to anybody over the time of the OT.

****, you are right....... I knew about the Liea and screw up from 6 (which they try to explain in the comics), but **** that is pretty bad. Lucas really did screw up a lot with the PT.

Both the ST & PT would have really been better not set to just three movies. Hopefully the success with Mando & the other TV shows show them their mistakes.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:43 PM, Zrob314 said:

Easy there tiger. Carrie Fisher was only 60 when she passed and he death was completely unexpected.

Alec Guiness was 61 when he started work on A New Hope and lived until 86. Christopher Lee was in his 70s when he joined star wars and lived to be 93. So it's not like they were rolling long odds to have the original cast survive until the end of the sequel trilogy. Yeah, Carrie was the most likely to go due to her habits but this wasn't somebody running out their life like Jim Belushi or Chris Farley.

How many times has Harrison Ford crashed an airplane or landed on the wrong landing strip. We all love Carrie Fisher but she was never going to live to an old age. Peter Mayhew couldn't even walk anymore. Bill Dee Williams is in his 80s now and isn't actually moving all that great, as to be expected. A trilogy of films can take nearly decade. Of course there will be losses along the way. Sadly, how things work.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:44 PM, KalEl814 said:

Yeah I feel you. And I go back and forth on it. Luke and Leia’s relationship was made up on the fly. Vader’s and Luke’s was too, and that’s the emotional crux of the whole OT. If Obi-Wan’s RotJ retcon happened in 2019, twitter and reddit would never ever recover 😛

Also the prequels were much more thought out in advance than the OT and the PT and they’re... mixed at best.

So yea... it’s complicated to tell a decades long story. Cthulhu knows I couldn’t do any better.

That was also back in the 70s. Story telling has gotten so much better since then. There are cheap TV shows with more thought and cohesion put into them than these billion dollar movies. They have the budget and access to talent. Yeah, we would make a big mess of it, but there are people that wouldn't. My issue is they didn't even try to have a cohesive story out of the gate. No attempt what so ever.

The Marvel machine has shown everyone it is possible. They had several movies being made a the same time and shuffling the actors around to the point some of those actors didn't even know what movie they were doing or even in. The PT was actually well received until LotRs trilogy came out, then everyone started hating on George. These things are all relative. It's 2019, they can do better, much better.

20 hours ago, Lochlan said:

It also drives me crazy that they had already established that Obi-Wan in ANH didn't recognize R2-D2, yet decided to make him a big part of the prequels anyway.

The plan was always to have the two droids in all 9 movies, until Disney marketing decided they needed new ones. Yeah, R2 is a bit of a problem but at the same time Obi-Wan, from a certain point of view, was easing Luke into everything. It would have been too much to take in that the droid belonged to his parents and oh yeah, your daddy killed mommie and younglings, all at once. Luke was handed with baby gloves so we wouldn't freak out and turn to the dark side right away. He wasn't ready and where Ryan Johnson took the story, Luke was never ready, I guess .....

2 hours ago, Mep said:

The plan was always to have the two droids in all 9 movies, until Disney marketing decided they needed new ones. Yeah, R2 is a bit of a problem but at the same time Obi-Wan, from a certain point of view, was easing Luke into everything. It would have been too much to take in that the droid belonged to his parents and oh yeah, your daddy killed mommie and younglings, all at once. Luke was handed with baby gloves so we wouldn't freak out and turn to the dark side right away. He wasn't ready and where Ryan Johnson took the story, Luke was never ready, I guess .....

Strangely I'm in the group that actually applaud Rian for what he did, this, along with Rogue One and ESB they tried to do something different , Also weirdly there are only a few of the films now I can sit and watch end to end. Since getting them as digital downloads I've watched ANH a few times, ESB and RotS quite a lot, RotJ and. TFA I've watched only once on the day I got them (albeit as a kid I watched RotJ 9 times in the cinema),however TPM/AOTC , I've lost count of the times I've rewatched Solo and Rogue One, with TLJ probably bring watched third most often.in he digital format

9gzi4zbucu641.jpg

Chris Terrio dives into ' The Rise of Skywalker ' (full article)

Excerpt from interview , spoiler due to length.

Many fans, including myself, appreciated how The Last Jedi democratized the Force. While I understand the choice to connect Rey to a notable bloodline, does your film still recognize the existence of the galaxy’s broom boys and girls (i.e., Force users without famous ancestry)?

Of course. Hopefully, the film also suggests that Finn is discovering that he is a Force user and is Force strong. Finn feels the death of Rey, and in a crucial moment during the battle, Finn senses the command ship where the navigation signal was coming from. So, we wanted to begin to plant the idea that Finn is Force strong and that there are other people in the galaxy who are Force strong. Yes, of course, the galaxy is full of Force users, and you don’t have to be a Skywalker or a Palpatine in order to be strong with the Force. But Luke does say very explicitly in Return of the Jedi , “The Force is strong in my family,” and we know that there is an inherited element to Force power. So, considering that this was a story of the Palpatines and Skywalkers, at least these nine movies, we decided to focus on the family part. Rey descending from a Palpatine doesn’t negate the idea that kids with brooms, Finn and any other number of people in the galaxy can be strong with the Force. It just so happens that this young girl that we found in Episode VII — which really has the structure of a fairytale — is royalty of the Dark Side. What we discover in this movie, and hopefully in retrospect, is that she’s essentially a princess who’s being raised as an orphan. The idea that this royalty of the Dark Side would be found as a scavenger in the middle of nowhere, literally living off the ruins of the old war that was created by her ancestors, felt really strong to us. We couldn’t agree more with the debate about the democratization of the Force, but for purposes of this story, we thought that it was a more interesting and mythic answer if it turned out that Rey descended from one of the families that has been at the center of this whole saga the entire time. In the end, the film asserts that there are things stronger than blood because she chooses a different family for herself.

---------

Since the soundtrack on Tatooine is titled “A New Home,” is Rey now living on Tatooine even though it’s a return to the isolation she suffered on Jakku?

I can say with confidence that neither the screenplay nor the film suggest that Rey is going to live alone on Tatooine. The track names on the soundtrack were at the discretion of the master himself, John Williams. I can't presume to say what John meant when he titled the piece "A New Home," but I can say that Rey's arc over three films has to do with her finding the belonging she seeks with the new family she's found inside the Resistance. The very last thing Rey would do after all that is to go and live alone in a desert. In our thinking, Rey goes back to Tatooine as a pilgrimage in honor of her two Skywalker masters. Leia's childhood home, Alderaan, no longer exists, but Luke's childhood home, Tatooine, does. Rey brings the sabers there to honor the Skywalker twins by laying them to rest -- together, finally -- where it all began. The farthest planet from the bright center of the universe, but a beautiful and peaceful place to bury two sacred objects.

-------

Rey Palpatine. What were the ins and outs of that significant choice?

We also thought that Rey’s arc cannot be finished after Episode VIII . You can leave Episode VIII and say, “Well, now, Rey is content. She’s discovered her parents aren’t Skywalkers, or whatever, and that’s fine.” But so much of her personal story was about where she came from, what kept her on Jakku all those years and the trauma that shaped her. We see quite strongly in Episode VII that something mysterious and troubling happened to her. Although she did get some answers in Episode VIII , we didn’t feel that that story was over. We felt that there were still more questions in Rey’s head about where she came from and where she was going. So, that was the other big idea that we had to address in this film. Rian’s answer to “What’s the worst news that Rey could receive?” was that she comes from junk traders, and that’s true. She does come from junk traders; we didn’t contradict that. But when J.J. and I spoke, he said, “Well, what’s an even worse answer or elaboration of that news?” And we thought the worst answer was that she descended from the family who are the enemies of her new family, her adoptive family. Leia is a mother figure to Rey in a way that no one has ever been since she lost her real mother (Jodie Comer). So, the idea was that Rey, who’s had inclinations towards the Dark Side, would learn in the course of this movie that Leia is training the descendant of her greatest enemy and that she has the Force strength of Leia’s greatest enemy. Discovering that you actually descended from your adoptive family’s greatest enemy, the same enemy who corrupted Anakin Skywalker and is responsible for the destruction of the Skywalker family in the first place, felt most devastating to us. Based on that, we were very moved by the idea that Leia would have known that from the very beginning, but since she still saw such hope, heart and spirit in Rey, she decided that she was going to take a chance on putting all the hope of the galaxy into the hands of a descendent of her greatest enemy. As Luke says, some things are stronger than blood. That felt like a really strong story point to us.

Therefore, at the end of the movie, when Rey declares herself a Skywalker, that felt like the end of that conversation, which is to say that you get to choose your family, and really, you get to choose your ancestry. Rey rejects the blood ancestry that she has inherited, and instead, she chooses the ancestry of the Jedi. When all the Jedi come to Rey at the end, one of the Jedi lightly says, “We are your ancestors now,” in the background, and I think that’s true. She chooses the spiritual ancestry of the Jedi instead of the blood ancestry of Palpatine.

---------

When Luke appeared on Crait in The Last Jedi, he apologized to Leia for turning his back on the fight, the Jedi Order and his legacy. He basically admitted that the guy who tossed his lightsaber aside on Ahch-To was wrong before sacrificing his life to save the Resistance and spread hope throughout the galaxy. However, I’ve already noticed that people are projecting the notion that Luke’s line — ”A Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect” — was a swipe at Rian Johnson's first-act choice to have him throw the weapon away. However, I thought you were reaffirming the very conclusion that Rian arrived at for Luke and how Luke was wrong.

That’s exactly it. Those people who see it as a meta-argument between J.J. and Rian are missing the point, I think. At the end of The Last Jedi , Luke has changed. When people look at that, I feel that they misread the ending of The Last Jedi . Throughout The Last Jedi , Luke is stuck, just as so many of the characters in The Empire Strikes Back were stuck. The Falcon’s hyperdrive is literally stuck. The Last Jedi is a really strong middle act because it seems like everyone is spinning their wheels and stuck in certain ways — just as they are in The Empire Strikes Back . I mean that in the sense of everyone is trying to move forward, but as in any middle act, they can’t quite get there. When Luke says, “A Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect” in Episode IX , that’s Luke speaking. That’s his own character. He’s making fun of himself. He’s saying to Rey, “Please don’t make the same mistake that I did.” That’s another theme of the film. How do we learn from our ancestors? How do we learn from our parents? How do we learn from the previous generation? How do we learn from all the good things that they did but not repeat their mistakes? In that moment, it truly is a character moment because we quite deliberately set up the same situation of tossing a saber, but this time, Luke is there to save Rey from making a bad choice. I think it would be a bad misreading to think that that was somehow me and J.J. having an argument with Rian. It was more like we were in dialogue with Rian by using what Luke did at the beginning of The Last Jedi to now say that history will not repeat itself and all these characters have grown.

On 12/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, Mep said:

The PT was actually well received until LotRs trilogy came out, then everyone started hating on George.

Thats patently false. Episode 1 was lambasted by critics and audiences alike. The sequel trilogy is divisive, but the prequel trilogy united the fanbase in shared trauma.

The fan base at large has slowly come around on the prequels due to a decade+ of TV shows and video games that have fleshed out the Clone Wars era

7kgshpzc6z741.jpg

9 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Thats patently false. Episode 1 was lambasted by critics and audiences alike. The sequel trilogy is divisive, but the prequel trilogy united the fanbase in shared trauma.

So true. If you think the backlash against Rose was bad, the amount of Jar Jar fan hate drove Ahmed Best into depression. Tack on a stalker-like creepy love story and some gawd awful dialog/delivery 30% of the time, and viewers like me walked out complaining about a lot. Only difference I guess was we were desperate back then for anything SW so we overlooked the warts to concentrate on the good stuff.

Sweet Jeebus, nsync's Joey Fatone appears in AotC to make a producer's daughter happy.

When I watched the prequels with my 13yo daughter for the first time this summer, by mid ep 2 she asked me to skip all the Anakin & Padme scenes 'cuz they were so cringe worthy. She was right to do so.

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

So true. If you think the backlash against Rose was bad, the amount of Jar Jar fan hate drove Ahmed Best into depression. Tack on a stalker-like creepy love story and some gawd awful dialog/delivery 30% of the time, and viewers like me walked out complaining about a lot. Only difference I guess was we were desperate back then for anything SW so we overlooked the warts to concentrate on the good stuff.

Sweet Jeebus, nsync's Joey Fatone appears in AotC to make a producer's daughter happy.

When I watched the prequels with my 13yo daughter for the first time this summer, by mid ep 2 she asked me to skip all the Anakin & Padme scenes 'cuz they were so cringe worthy. She was right to do so.

I'm not going to dispute that there was backlash against the prequels at the time, there absolutely was, but this whole "Jar Jar hate from fans drove Ahmed Best into depression" line is absolutely revisionist nonsense designed to reinforce the modern "toxic fans" BS - Best himself blames the media and their constant berating and piss-taking and s***-stirring for those mental health issues, not fans.

And that article fairly reeks of damage control. Just like them claiming that it was totes unintentional honest guv that Rose Tico was in the movie for, like, 30 seconds - as they're finding out, the TLJ cheerleaders are the people who'll really go for your throat if they think they're no longer being catered to.

15 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

The fan base at large has slowly come around on the prequels due to a decade+ of TV shows and video games that have fleshed out the Clone Wars era

Nah, when EP1 came out everyone was, wow, that was kinda cool, right? It took awhile until people really started hating on it. It wasn't an over night hate and the LotR got everyone on the fence in the hate group. People weren't quite quick to hate 20 years ago. Now, everyone hates even before they see it.

14 hours ago, Mep said:

Nah, when EP1 came out everyone was, wow, that was kinda cool, right? It took awhile until people really started hating on it. It wasn't an over night hate and the LotR got everyone on the fence in the hate group. People weren't quite quick to hate 20 years ago. Now, everyone hates even before they see it.

In my group, we hated the prequels immediately. Our experience was this. A group of like 8 of us got tickets in advance and skipped school (it was spring and most of us were seniors in high school) and went to see Episode 1 and immediately got tickets for the next viewing which was miraculously not sold out, and saw it again. Then we all went to a restaurant. While eating no one wanted to be the first one to say it, but we thought the movie was bad. We basically just hoped the next one would be better. We bought limited amounts of the merch: water blasters for example. I found bagged sets of 4 alien monsters from Episode 1 to use in miniatures games. We basically chalked the movies weaknesses up to gratuitous CGI and George's obsession with race cars. Like I said we thought the next one would be better, but I was so pessimistic I waited to see it in the dollar theater. After seeing Episode II I pretty much dropped out of anything current in Star Wars in favor of history and Warhammer 40,000 and eventually LOTR. I begrudgingly saw Episode III once in the theater but it was too little too late. It took Rebel Storm to get me back into anything current in Star Wars . Then my prequel hate resurfaced when all future waves made it clear that the prequels were being favored and things from the OT, being more broadly popular, were being given rarer status to boost sales.

It's hard for me to overstate how much damage Midichlorians and such did at the time. Maybe average people didn't care but hard bitten nerds, the kind that played RPG's and stuff, reacted quickly and harshly against the prequels. I tried to rewatch Episode 1 on D+ recently cause my kids really, really wanted to watch "a Star Wars with Darth Maul in it". At 18 I just thought the movie was silly. At 38, I find it racially offensive. Jar-Jar may as well be played by Al Joleson, and the trade federation guys are straight out of (racially caricatured) 1950's WWII Pacific Theater action films. Don't get me started on Watto. I don't know what George was thinking.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Getting back to RoS, I actually liked the very last scene on Tatooine.

20 hours ago, Mep said:

If you look at its Cinemascore , Phantom Menace has an A-. That means people leaving the theater generally really liked it. It's a much more useful metric about initial audience impressions than rotten tomatoes, which can get review bombed like what happened with TLJ.

IIRC, the online scuttlebutt among Star Wars fans on the internet was always polarized. They didn't like that Anakin was a kid with no real signs of pathos, Jar Jar's reception was generally negative, and people did not take kindly to midichlorians at all.

Discussing movies online is always weird, in that most people generally don't think about movies at all. An online buddy of mine owns a movie theater and in his experience (which is common across the board) apparently almost half the people that show up at theaters don't know what they're going to see when they get there, they just... go. So they're not thinking about movies before they go, they're not talking about them when they leave, etc. This explains why the Cinemascore for The Last Jedi was an A, but the internet melted and continues to melt down about it. The people talking about it online (love it or hate it) are a numerical outlier. It's just that if you're looking to talk about movies online, it's easy to find places where that happens or people tweeting about it, and you're getting an incredibly boosted signal.

21 hours ago, Mep said:

I was there Gandalf, I was there 20 years ago...

But seriously, I saw it on opening night and me and every star wars fan I knew (my parents and friends) were pissed off and disapointed. If there was any change in the reaction it happened much faster than the 2 years before LotR came out. It was a matter of days after the premiere.

Review from The Village Voice 1999:

"Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace may be the first movie to peak before its opening... The movie requires scarcely more than six minutes to wear thin. There is nothing in this noisy, overdesigned bore to equal the excitement generated by the mere idea of the trailer.

Yoda puts in a cameo, but the film’s designated alien is Jar Jar Binks, a rabbit-eared ambulatory lizard whose pidgin English degenerates from pseudo-Caribbean patois to Teletubby gurgle. (Although Jar Jar can be construed as grotesquely Third World and the fish faces talk like Fu Manchu, the most blatant ethnic stereotype is the hook-nosed merchant insect who owns young Anakin.) Jar Jar and his fellow Gungans suck the oxygen out of every scene; their human costars seem understandably asphyxiated."

Edited by KommanderKeldoth

Watto, Jar Jar, and Gunray didn’t play well when the movie premiered and they’ve aged very badly. I dunno if nobody gave Lucas notes, or if he ignored them....

The thing I don't get about SW is, in other franchises I can say "Sure this movie is objectively bad but I like re-watching it". In SW that position is unacceptable for some reason. Both coming and going.

3 hours ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I was there Gandalf, I was there 20 years ago...

But seriously, I saw it on opening night and me and every star wars fan I knew (my parents and friends) were pissed off and disapointed. If there was any change in the reaction it happened much faster than the 2 years before LotR came out. It was a matter of days after the premiere.

Review from The Village Voice 1999:

"Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace may be the first movie to peak before its opening... The movie requires scarcely more than six minutes to wear thin. There is nothing in this noisy, overdesigned bore to equal the excitement generated by the mere idea of the trailer.

Yoda puts in a cameo, but the film’s designated alien is Jar Jar Binks, a rabbit-eared ambulatory lizard whose pidgin English degenerates from pseudo-Caribbean patois to Teletubby gurgle. (Although Jar Jar can be construed as grotesquely Third World and the fish faces talk like Fu Manchu, the most blatant ethnic stereotype is the hook-nosed merchant insect who owns young Anakin.) Jar Jar and his fellow Gungans suck the oxygen out of every scene; their human costars seem understandably asphyxiated."

Like Kalel said, A- cinemascore. It made a lot of money and people said they liked it - when it came out. Yeah, critic reviews are usually bad for this type of genre film. No shortage there. Sure, there was a lot of Jar Jar hate but also a lot of confusion. It was a Star Wars movie, so of course you are suppose to like it, so people said they did, but did they really like it? People bought into the huge hype of the movie back then, hence the A- score. It wasn't until the LotR movies came out, with something solid to compare it too and Attack of the Clones that the real hate began. Now of days, if it is a Star Wars movie the expectation is you are to hate it, so people do, even if it is just mediocre. Having a meh reaction isn't good enough, gotta hate it. Back then, if it was Star Wars, you were suppose to love it. Even those horrid EU books were top sellers as were those god awful action figures. The effect of the zeitgeist is real and in the 90's it was pure love for everything Star Wars and in the 00's it was Lucas ruined my childhood. TPM was certainly the spark that changed the zeitgeist around Star Wars but it didn't flip over night.

4 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The thing I don't get about SW is, in other franchises I can say "Sure this movie is objectively bad but I like re-watching it". In SW that position is unacceptable for some reason. Both coming and going.

Yeah the funny part about this debate is that Episode 1 is actually my favorite prequel movie now. I re-watched all 8 films in the lead up to episode 9 and the Phantom Menace has the strongest story and characters out of the 3