Is the Separatist AAT too big for legion?

By joewrightgm, in Star Wars: Legion

1 hour ago, lologrelol said:

40k   has long had tanks that weren't at the correct proportions. And its the highest selling mini game at the moment. Money talks.  

But this is Star Wars 😜

Idk how closely they’ll scale it but this thing will work fine. Even if it can’t get past certain terrain, it’s gun will certainly be able to cross-map stuff, I would think.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, FearofaBlankPlanet said:

My feeling is that casual players are just looking forward to sending the tank (and its valiant but flawed commander OOM-9) forth. They aren't doing size comparisons.

If FFG's scale doesn't work with a current base size, then they could release the AAT on a new base size as with the Imperial Occupier Tank.

Again, I'm not arguing that casual players are going to sit down and obsessively measure the vehicle to see if it's a perfect match for the official stated dimensions, I'm arguing that for most casual players bigger & more impressive = better, and so in this instance where the "correct" size would be pretty large and impressive, doing it "properly" will sell at least as well if not better than a minime version.

3 hours ago, lologrelol said:

The tank could be made at approx 245mm long, or could easily be placed under that. I'd imagine they wouldn't need to make it any longer than the occupier.

This game doesn't do correctly proportioned infantry. The value of these man dollies will not be undermined by not having 100% 'true scale'. The value as playing pieces isn't undermined by a scale change either. As a tournament player I don't give a **** what the scale is, and I imagine most others wouldn't either. This OCD preoccupation with 'true scale' is just sad, and only hamstrings the potential of this game.

40k has long had tanks that weren't at the correct proportions. And its the highest selling mini game at the moment. Money talks.

40K's vehicles have also been steadily increasing in size, and the kit that was, at the time, the biggest selling plastic kit they ever produced was the impractically large Imperial Knight. They've amended the basic rules of the game to include superheavy tanks with models as big as a dinner plate, and flyers barely any smaller. They just bumped up the scale of the entire Space Marine faction, and their *basic* transport vehicle is the same size as the old Marines' *heavy combat transport*. So yeah, money does talk, and it says "bigger models sell better".

And the only "sad" thing I can see here is the person who's incapable of grasping that different groups value different things.

Edited by Yodhrin
21 minutes ago, Yodhrin said:

Again, I'm not arguing that casual players are going to sit down and obsessively measure the vehicle to see if it's a perfect match for the official stated dimensions, I'm arguing that for most casual players bigger & more impressive = better, and so in this instance where the "correct" size would be pretty large and impressive, doing it "properly" will sell at least as well if not better than a minime version.

Fair enough; if what we've seen so far from FFG for Legion is any indication then I'm sure they'll do the AAT justice :)

21 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

But this is Star Wars 😜

Idk how closely they’ll scale it but this thing will work fine. Even if it can’t get past certain terrain, it’s gun will certainly be able to cross-map stuff, I would think.

Measure from the base.

19 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

40K's vehicles have also been steadily increasing in size, and the kit that was, at the time, the biggest selling plastic kit they ever produced was the impractically large Imperial Knight. They've amended the basic rules of the game to include superheavy tanks with models as big as a dinner plate, and flyers barely any smaller. They just bumped up the scale of the entire Space Marine faction, and their *basic* transport vehicle is the same size as the old Marines' *heavy combat transport*. So yeah, money does talk, and it says "bigger models sell better".

And the only "sad" thing I can see here is the person who's incapable of grasping that different groups value different things.

The infantry have been increasing in size as well. That's a walker, not a tank. Poor example matey. The transports just aren't large enough, and same goes with the battle tanks.

Yeah, and one group's opinion will win out in the end because they aren't going to cater to both groups. Just because you value something doesn't make you right. I could be wrong. Maybe slightly downsizing some vehicles (which most won't notice), is not in line with what will make more money. I think FFG can't afford to ignore iconic units from the movies.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:49 AM, lologrelol said:

This OCD preoccupation with 'true scale' is just sad, and only hamstrings the potential of this game.

The whole competitive culture is sad, but making fun of mental illness is sadder. Personally I'm glad we have a scifi game on the scene with true scale or close enough to it. Obviously I'm a pretty hardcore Hoth collector/gamer, but I passed on the Hasbro AT-AT precisely because of scale issues.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:49 AM, lologrelol said:

40k has long had tanks that weren't at the correct proportions. And its the highest selling mini game at the moment. Money talks.

Everything has pros and cons. Miming the cons of the most financially successful wargame won't contribute to Legion's success. How do you fit 10 space marines in a Rhino? A blender. I was about as deeply invested a GW customer as there ever was but they've lost my dollars as they've slid into self-parody the last few years. Now I buy tons of Legion stuff. Money talks.

11 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The whole competitive culture is sad, but making fun of mental illness is sadder.

I used OCD as a reductio ad absurdum, to show the extremeness of thought that is coming from those who require everything be 'exactly' to proportion, so they can enjoy their minis more. Is calling something 'murderous' making light of murder? No.

16 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The whole competitive culture is sad, but making fun of mental illness is sadder. Personally I'm glad we have a scifi game on the scene with true scale or close enough to it. Obviously I'm a pretty hardcore Hoth collector/gamer, but I passed on the Hasbro AT-AT precisely because of scale issues.

Everything has pros and cons. Miming the cons of the most financially successful wargame won't contribute to Legion's success. How do you fit 10 space marines in a Rhino? A blender. I was about as deeply invested a GW customer as there ever was but they've lost my dollars as they've slid into self-parody the last few years. Now I buy tons of Legion stuff. Money talks.

Why is competitive culture sad? Because we enjoy competition? Weird.

I’ve never said anything negative about your obsession with TTs, and was happy when you got tagged a billion times when they hit the news.

7 hours ago, TalkPolite said:

Why is competitive culture sad? Because we enjoy competition? Weird.

I'm just turning it around on him: no more or less sad than supposed obsession with scale accuracy. I don't see what's sad about any of it. Besides. Y'know. I'm 38 and play with toys.

I don't see how it's any more sad or obsessive to go all out on list optimization, as opposed to all out on creating charts to figure out the right scale. Or, to turn it around on myself, to worry about making all the models in a list fit an environmental theme. Scale is a very real reason why a unit lolgrelol wants, might not get released. It doesn't make others "sad" for elaborating on that. At least, no more or less than it makes the rest of us "sad" for getting all into some aspect of this.

Edited by TauntaunScout
5 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I'm just turning it around on him: no more or less sad than supposed obsession with scale accuracy. I don't see what's sad about any of it. Besides. Y'know. I'm 38 and play with toys.

I don't see how it's any more sad or obsessive to go all out on list optimization, as opposed to all out on creating charts to figure out the right scale. Or, to turn it around on myself, to worry about making all the models in a list fit an environmental theme. Scale is a very real reason why a unit lolgrelol wants, might not get released. It doesn't make others "sad" for elaborating on that. At least, no more or less than it makes the rest of us "sad" for getting all into some aspect of this.

It's all about trying to make people feel bad for enjoying different things than you, or even enjoying the same things in slightly different ways. To some it's basically a hobby all of its own.

Just now, arnoldrew said:

It's all about trying to make people feel bad for enjoying different things than you, or even enjoying the same things in slightly different ways. To some it's basically a hobby all of its own.

Feeling bad is what life is all about. Everyone is wrong but me. Thank you all for your time.

15 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Feeling bad is what life is all about. Everyone is wrong but me. Thank you all for your time.

Look man, we're all friends here. I'm sorry if my comment seemed overly harsh to you.

Droid fighter in walking mode.....

2 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Look man, we're all friends here. I'm sorry if my comment seemed overly harsh to you.

Thanks. But the last one was a dry joke.

2 hours ago, Kingsguard said:

Droid fighter in walking mode.....

The more I think about this the more I like the idea of a droid fighter that you do a recover action and you can flip the card to be something like a speeder and back again as a walker.

31 minutes ago, joewrightgm said:

The more I think about this the more I like the idea of a droid fighter that you do a recover action and you can flip the card to be something like a speeder and back again as a walker.

Personally I think the issue there is more an engineering issue/cost. The destroyer droids seem to indicate that for units with multiple modes, FFG wants to release a model to represent each mode and include it in the box, which fits along with the WYSIWYGish mentality of the rest of the box contents (enough bodies to field all unit options that are included in the box). So that would either mean having to design a model that could hold up to repeated conversions (ideally with minimal rubbing to avoid ruining paint jobs), or putting two fairly large models in the box, one for each mode.