Is the Separatist AAT too big for legion?

By joewrightgm, in Star Wars: Legion

So I’m stoked for clone wars and doing a CIS army.

however the issue that I see with the CIS main tank, the AAT is how long the thing is; according to the Star Wars.com database, it’s 9.19 meters long, making it longer than the AT-ST is tall (8 meters)! The TX-225 is only 7 meters long (Rogue one visual guide).

it would either need a small pizza sized base or be on the long base for the TX-225 and hang over all the edges.

this seems to be a problem with all the CIS vehicles, as they are all bloody huge; the hail fire droid’s wheels are as tall as an AT-ST, as is the homing Spode droid.

Thoughts on if we’ll even see these on the table?

Just now, joewrightgm said:

So I’m stoked for clone wars and doing a CIS army.

however the issue that I see with the CIS main tank, the AAT is how long the thing is; according to the Star Wars.com database, it’s 9.19 meters long, making it longer than the AT-ST is tall (8 meters)! The TX-225 is only 7 meters long (Rogue one visual guide).

it would either need a small pizza sized base or be on the long base for the TX-225 and hang over all the edges.

this seems to be a problem with all the CIS vehicles, as they are all bloody huge; the hail fire droid’s wheels are as tall as an AT-ST, as is the homing Spode droid.

Thoughts on if we’ll even see these on the table?

A lot of the back of the vehicle is actually pretty far in the air and it would be a repulsor vehicle. I'd think the giant half circle foot that it's on would be more challenging from a model perspective than the length.

I think it is certainly doable, though probably the upper limit of what we'd expect.

The T47 and the Z-74 are the exact same length on the table NOT in canon. I am hoping for the CIS AAT or Snail Tank for the heavy slot and the GAR LAAT and TX-130 Saber Tank.

I'd hope it can make it to the game. Most iconic ground vehicle for the Separatists. There are quite a few others that are smaller that could definitely see a release in the future.

Dwarf Spider Droid

NR-N99 Tank Droid

Crab Droid

The Crab and Dwarf Spider Droid definitely seem more support than heavy in terms of size and firepower brought to the fight. The Homing Spider Droid is very likely too big while the Hailfire Droid and AAT are on that borderline of maybe too big.

Edited by RStan

I don't see how they have much choice. There's only so many units that were seen in the service of the CIS and most of them are rather large.
They already shrank down the airspeeder, no reason they can't do it with this.

The width would be the hard sell, I think. But you can make it slightly smaller to allow it.

You get a good shot of how its height and width compare to what would be standard trooper mini size with this pic lol

https://www.starwars.com/databank/aat-battle-tank-history-gallery

EDIT: Stupid site, the url is only to the gallery page, but the image is the one of Jar Jar hanging off the barrel with a B1 standing in front of the tank.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

Star Wars Databank is likely incorrect. Here's my work on that. ((I'm not counting the minor overhang of the gun barrel, just focusing on the body of the vehicle)

Invasion of Theed, Tanks are flanked by a 2 columns of ten BD-1 on each side.

8sV7Djq.jpg

7g0Qey4.jpg

nBhkY3V.jpg

It appears that the column is longer than the tank by about 3 droids or so.

Using earth measurements because all items in the star wars universe are shown in relation to human actors and so the human mind can comprehend them. Average adult male chest circumference is about 42", so that is a rough semi-minor axis of 8" or a total of 56" of BD-1 back to chest. Average distance for a marching formation between members is 36", so 216 for the 6 spaces that would appear between 7 marching droids.
This gives us 272" - 300" (in case my chest measurement assumptions are wrong) or 6.9-7.62 meters. An assumption that it is the same size as the Occupier tank can be easily made on this.

Edited by Zrob314
7 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Star Wars Databank is likely incorrect. Here's my work on that. ((I'm not counting the minor overhang of the gun barrel, just focusing on the body of the vehicle)

Invasion of Theed, Tanks are flanked by a 2 columns of BD-1 on each side.

8sV7Djq.jpg

7g0Qey4.jpg

nBhkY3V.jpg

It appears that the column is longer than the tank by about 3 droids or so.

Using earth measurements because all items in the star wars universe are shown in relation to human actors and so the human mind can comprehend them. Average adult male chest circumference is about 42", so that is a rough semi-minor axis of 8" or a total of 56" of BD-1 back to chest. Average distance for a marching formation between members is 36", so 216 for the 6 spaces that would appear between 7 marching droids.
This gives us 272" - 300" (in case my chest measurement assumptions are wrong) or 6.9-7.62 meters. An assumption that it is the same size as the Occupier tank can be easily made on this.

Wow. Just wow, I love this forum, cause there are people like you that actually do the math! Cheers!

2 minutes ago, joewrightgm said:

Wow. Just wow, I love this forum, cause there are people like you that actually do the math! Cheers!

Thank you.

Don't most OOM droids sent down to Naboo sport a backpack as well? Which would add another 5-ish inches to their depth, which would increase the overall estimate of how long an AAT is by another 2-ish meters.

I'd need to rewatch the scenes of the force occupying Theed's OOMs had those backpacks.

24 minutes ago, Grujav said:

Don't most OOM droids sent down to Naboo sport a backpack as well? Which would add another 5-ish inches to their depth, which would increase the overall estimate of how long an AAT is by another 2-ish meters.

I'd need to rewatch the scenes of the force occupying Theed's OOMs had those backpacks.

Yes, however:

1. The backpacks are very thin.

2. The droids appear thinner than average human.

The estimate that they are human width/sized when complete is plausible.

4 hours ago, choassassin said:

The T47 and the Z-74  are the exact same length on the table

No they aren't.

1 hour ago, Grujav said:

Yes, they have them in the movie, and they are part of the BD-1 models for Legion. However, I think the "backpack" is just the built in receiver for remote control and is hardwired. I kinda took it into account because the BD-1 are basically skeletons without muscle and fat. Also they could easily have a shorter distance between units in formation because they're already operating under machine precision. (possibly born out in the battle of Naboo/seeing them come out of the carriers on the racks.)

Edited by Zrob314
6 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

No they aren't.

You're right. They are approximately 1" apart. My point still stands that the sizes are not exactly accurate for 1/56th (or around that) scale to the game and about their apparent lengths based on lore.

3 minutes ago, choassassin said:

You're right. They are approximately 1" apart. My point still stands that the sizes are not exactly accurate for 1/56th (or around that) scale to the game and about their apparent lengths based on lore.

They both look right when I hold a figure up next to them and think about the movies though. They might have smooshed a few mm's off the T-47 but many. They weren't very large in ESB.

Yeah I think a lot of people imagine the T-47 to be larger than it is. If you go back and watch ESB it's like the size of a compact car.

It is suppose to seat 2 in the compartment. Hold up 2 minis, does it look like if you could move their parts in such a way that 2 could fit in there, back to back mind you.

vrdzEzk.png

Looks good to me!

Where's the Flatbed in that?

49 minutes ago, CaptainRocket said:

vrdzEzk.png

Looks good to me!

AAT is too big tho.

2 hours ago, Zrob314 said:

AAT is too big tho.

How is it even remotely too big?

It could even fit on a ATST base and easily on the tank base...

Semi-related, any chance we’ll get an AT-AT or the AT-TE from FFG just even as terrain/aesthetic pieces for the game?

the AT-AT could be done with one of the large bases on each foot

I’m still hoping for the AT-TE, but never count anything out.

Armada is getting a slightly longer than two feet Super Star Destroyer, so if there are enough people that want something, FF will try to make it happen, I’m sure.

After all, FF wants to make money and like the designers say, they’re geeks too and want that stuff on the table too. 😁 🤑