Does it get better?

By SergiPandaman, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

I have read all fiction until the phoenix novell came out. I love the L5R setting but the story so far felt kind of boring. I guess being a lot of clans and the slow pacing is not incouraging me to keep reading. Does it get any better?

I feel like thwyve taken too long to set up stuff as well, but the last stories have begun to set things in motion (finally) and the last one (the first in the inheritance cycle) Has been really good

11 hours ago, SergiPandaman said:

I have read all fiction until the phoenix novell came out. I love the L5R setting but the story so far felt kind of boring. I guess being a lot of clans and the slow pacing is not incouraging me to keep reading. Does it get any better?

I think it’s only gotten better as time goes on. I too found some of the stories a slog, as well as trying to remember so many characters many of whom all share the same last name.

They are trying to set up an entire world and seven clans worth of story in little vignettes though, I can give them some slack. As Rafael said, the inheritance cycle has been really good.

I don't know, I really like all the novels, maybe except for a couple maybe. So for me none of them are boring.

Probably also because I like things that start slow, setting the motive and everything, before the big move.

For me it looks like they are keeping the slow and steady pace but now really big things are happening so it is slow and big now. Might be less boring for you if you are looking for "happenings" but the story won't turn into an explosive action-packed adventure dancing on a razor's edge as far as I can tell.

I liked the novels, so I'm a bit suspect.

As for the free fictions the early ones were building the current status quo. Most of them are workmanlike with some clunkers early on. I feel Tiger Stalks His Prey was where they really shifted into high gear. Read that one, The Chidlren of the Empire trilogy and The Last Stone Played. If you don't like them then don't bother with the rest.

I've loved it the whole way through so take that into account when valuing my opinion.

There have been some huge stories since the Phoenix novella. Also I really loved the Phoenix novella since it spent time camping on only a handful of characters. So we really got to know those character well. I'd say it's only gotten better. Prior to the Phoenix novella it was pretty much setup and world building. So I can see how that might seem slow. Though I wouldn't suddenly expect the stories to move at a breakneck pace. They are definitely taking their time with the larger story arcs. I don't think that's a bad thing. This slow drip of narrative like you'd get on a serial tv show or a monthly comic book lets you live in the world longer and pause to appreciate the moments more. At least that's how I feel.

I will say I wish the short stories came out with more regularity. It is frustrating as a fan of the fiction to have long gaps. Also I hope they continue doing novellas even after the clan pack cycle is finished. I think L5R works really well in the novella format. I guess I wish these things weren't tied to products though I understand the marketing purpose.

Edited by phillos

Thanks! I'll try to continue reading.

On 4/11/2019 at 6:10 PM, SergiPandaman said:

Thanks! I'll try to continue reading.

If you don't like reading, I can suggest the Table is Yours podcast, where you can listen to audio readings of the fictions.