Inspiration: Rules for Drug Addiction

By Ben_ST, in Rules Questions

Hello,

i need some inspiration for Rules for Drug Addiction in my Setting. Not much about the effects of drugs but what happens when the drug wears off. How does the urge for a new kick affects the dice pool or other stats on your charakter.

For more backgroundinformation. I'm creating an cyberpunk setting with a new species that has the ability to activate psy powers like telekinesis. But to activate them, they need a certain drug to focus their mind and control their energy.

These powers would be very powerfull but the price is high. The player should think: "There is this big problem befor me and i could easily solve it by using my awesome powers. But i have to take the pill and deal with the consequences after and i don't know if there will be a bigger problem after this."
It will be possible to use some of the basic powers without taking the drug but it will be a little bit more difficult and higher powers would be allmost impossible without the drug. With time the charakter can buy talents that will help him to use his powers (meditation techniques) and get rid of the drug but it should feel like a real development.

So far i was thinking something like an critical injury that has to be threated professionaly and an discipline check everytime someones offers him the drug to resist the temptation.

Any other ideas?

Shadow of the Beanstalk has a sidebar with alternate rules for Addiction (page 100). GM Phil also has discrete addiction effects for each addictive substance in his Fallout setting document. Both are good jumping off points, but the "official" alt rules are very severe in their impact (they reduce your strain by half as a withdrawal effect).