Drop in-Drop out

By dukncuver, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I am so excited for this title and am eagerly absorbing every bit of information I can get. Unfortunately I was disappointed to learn that the game does not support adding or subtracting players once you begin a campaign. I know that there will be times while me and my friends are playing at our FLGS and someone will want to join in for a chapter. I understand that adding a player in the middle of a chapter would be tough, but the app should be able to adapt the game between chapters. I understand that the deck building aspect also makes it hard to jump right in, but surely there could be some way to generate a deck mid campaign. Perhaps the campaign story becomes too intertwined with the characters to make it possible? Maybe there could be a mercenary character in an expansion that can be used for adding a player? With most pen and paper rps, the GM is able to make adjustments on the fly based on attendance, and I think an app should be able to do that too. So again, I am not bashing the game at all and am still excited, but I know I am going to be disappointed when players want to join but can't because of the limitations of the app.

Yeah, I see your point about drop in being hard to plan for.

Honestly, a drop out is pretty easy. Just run their character for that mission by group consent.

If the Gimli player can't be there one session, have the rest of the group decide Gimli's actions for that adventure.

But adding in an extra player is pretty tricky. Unless you make them read the App and "control" the enemies, I'm not sure how you could make it work...

You could always start a new campaign since the app supports up to five, but yeah, honestly who's going to do that.

They did try it during the game development but apparently it was a bag full of worms. The game and maps Are balanced based on amounth of players. The XP is common to all characters in the croup... so it seems that it is very tightly tied knot that get balance proken if there Are changes. But yeah it would fine nice to have one time visiting heroes during one or two scenarios. Maybe even so that those players don`t get XP or something... but it does not seems to be like based on Ffg videos.

2 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

They did try it during the game development but apparently it was a bag full of worms. The game and maps Are balanced based on amounth of players. The XP is common to all characters in the croup... so it seems that it is very tightly tied knot that get balance proken if there Are changes. But yeah it would fine nice to have one time visiting heroes during one or two scenarios. Maybe even so that those players don`t get XP or something... but it does not seems to be like based on Ffg videos.

I think it could work if you made a new character based on the average xp and gear of current players.

It would Also require map changes when character comes in and drops out... the average gear and equipment is same with each player I think. All examples that I have seen has been characters with the same amounth of XP. A quite like in Arkham horror Lcg. (There Are some scenarios in arkham horro Lcg where leader get special threatment, but most likely there is not that in this game) so the problem definitely is not the equipment or the XP because that is allways the same (?) to all players. But the environment and the map and the monsters. And maybe something else that we have not idea of yet.

24 minutes ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

It would Also require map changes when character comes in and drops out... the average gear and equipment is same with each player I think. All examples that I have seen has been characters with the same amounth of XP. A quite like in Arkham horror Lcg. (There Are some scenarios in arkham horro Lcg where leader get special threatment, but most likely there is not that in this game) so the problem definitely is not the equipment or the XP because that is allways the same (?) to all players. But the environment and the map and the monsters. And maybe something else that we have not idea of yet.

Yea I agree that mid mission the map and enemy changes would make it harder to add a character. My issue is that you cant add a player at the start of a new mission.