The Greatest War

By ZephyrTheDragon, in Houserules

I don't entirely know if this is the right board to put it, but a curious idea struck me and I believed it would be very homebrew as it would require quite a bit of work by a GM.

The Apocalypse; Inspired by the story of Onimusha: Warlords, Onimusha 2 and Onimusha 3: Demon Seige... The forces of the Shadowlands manage to either find a way around the Kaiu Wall or break through it after a period of relative peace where they build up their strength for one massive push into the southernmost part of the Crab lands.

Now, the monsters of the Shadowlands are on the surging tide and the families of the Crab have been pushed back to the edges of their lands in a far more desperate battle as a group of heroes muster the imperial forces and the standing armies of the remaining clans and attempt to push the shadowlands taint back to the breach.

Don't know if it would be a good idea, but it made me think both of horror tropes and even the mass battle tropes of Samurai Warriors as the players lead cohorts of soldiers against the forces of the shadowlands and try to at least hold key locations and strongholds to help push back the tide of monsters.

I think one of the 4th Edition Alternate Timelines has this. The Sapphire Throne maybe? Or the Shattered Empire? I can't remember. The old AEG timeline also had an official event with this apocalyptic prospect, the Destroyer War.

Did it turn out that the Shadowlands book has more tainted monsters to use? For the most part what I'm hoping for is finding out where I can get stats for other monsters so my players aren't just going up against 4 types of monsters.

Yep! Starting at page 134.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:38 PM, ZephyrTheDragon said:

I don't entirely know if this is the right board to put it, but a curious idea struck me and I believed it would be very homebrew as it would require quite a bit of work by a GM.

The Apocalypse; Inspired by the story of Onimusha: Warlords, Onimusha 2 and Onimusha 3: Demon Seige... The forces of the Shadowlands manage to either find a way around the Kaiu Wall or break through it after a period of relative peace where they build up their strength for one massive push into the southernmost part of the Crab lands.

Now, the monsters of the Shadowlands are on the surging tide and the families of the Crab have been pushed back to the edges of their lands in a far more desperate battle as a group of heroes muster the imperial forces and the standing armies of the remaining clans and attempt to push the shadowlands taint back to the breach.

Don't know if it would be a good idea, but it made me think both of horror tropes and even the mass battle tropes of Samurai Warriors as the players lead cohorts of soldiers against the forces of the shadowlands and try to at least hold key locations and strongholds to help push back the tide of monsters.

Why not set it 'historically'? The invasion of The Maw was one of the biggest Oni incursions, which originally led to the Wall's construction...

But yes, any campaign on the Wall would follow this broad approach. It's an iconic L5R setting and a good idea for a combat-centric campaign. Seeing imperial legions deployed to the wall in times of crisis isn't unheard of so mixed clan parties arent' too unlikely.