Considering the acquisition of this interesting game

By Wytefang, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

Hello all,

I'm considering picking this cool-looking game up BUT I'm a bit leery as to what is legal and so forth now that there is an official Core set. I know this was one of FFG's pre-existing CCGs that was converted to the LCG format but I have a few questions about it:

1. Is the Core Set the first place to start?

2. Going from the Core Set forward, what are the expansions for this game (iirc, it's been out about 1.5 years or 2 years now - referring to the new white cards and core set)?

3. Older cards (pre-Core Set) aren't valid for tournaments and such, correct?

I'm just a bit confused, from a potential player AND collector's standpoint what to get if I want to be a completist. Thanks for any tips. And if any of you play Warhammer: Invasion, pop on by those forums and say "Hi", I basically live there (it's my favorite LCG). :)

I've also noticed that it appears that there isn't a lot of the sets in stock at FFG's online store, so that's a bit disconcerting. I'd rather not get into a game if I'm unable to acquire the necessary cards to complete a full collection (at some point). :(

Unlike in W:I, Core Set for CoC is 1x each. Asylum Packs (aka Battle Packs gran_risa.gif ) are your standard 1x or 3x. I played for quite a while with Core Set and Ancient Horrors AP, but last month, umm, splurged on 9 more APs sonrojado.gif . Like in W:I, I'm going with 1x each product (if buying the AP at all, looking at you At the Mountains of Madness demonio.gif ). Can't recall if you are anti-spoiler on the W:I forums (have a hazy recollection you keep away from spoiler threads until you have the BP yourself), but BGG files section has the spoilers for all the AP. I used those to figure out which APs I'd buy. For example, if you're wanting to make use of the Day/Night mechanic, Twilight Horror AP is a must.

Hi Dam! Nice to see you around these parts.

My biggest concern is the availability of the Battlepacks for this cool game - if some of these are long out of print or won't see daylight, I'll probably just skip getting it. I dislike not being able to acquire all the cards for the game. :(

My FLGS has/had still all except the AP5 and AP6 (Mountains of Madness and Ancient Horrors and I grabbed the latter when it was still available) in stock. Of course, that doesn't help you gui%C3%B1o.gif , but I would assume stores in your neck of the woods might have stuff in stock as well (don't know if you've browsed online for them or not). I think those two APs #5 and #6 will be hard to come by, but #7-#18 should be fairly easy to scrounge up.

Wytefang said:

Hello all,

I'm considering picking this cool-looking game up BUT I'm a bit leery as to what is legal and so forth now that there is an official Core set. I know this was one of FFG's pre-existing CCGs that was converted to the LCG format but I have a few questions about it:

1. Is the Core Set the first place to start?

2. Going from the Core Set forward, what are the expansions for this game (iirc, it's been out about 1.5 years or 2 years now - referring to the new white cards and core set)?

3. Older cards (pre-Core Set) aren't valid for tournaments and such, correct?

I'm just a bit confused, from a potential player AND collector's standpoint what to get if I want to be a completist. Thanks for any tips. And if any of you play Warhammer: Invasion, pop on by those forums and say "Hi", I basically live there (it's my favorite LCG). :)

Hi and welcome.

1. Yes. You at least get one of everything (including some of the ancient beasties). The down side is you get 1 copy and the max per deck is three...so if theres a card you really like, you may need another core set (or two).

I. Call of Cthulhu Core set

II. Secrets of Arkham Expansion (coming soon)

III. Summon of the Deep-

Spawn of the Sleeper, Horror Beneath the Surface, The Anlectiluvian Dietum, The Terror of theTide, The Thing from the Shore, The path of YHa-nthlei

IV. Dreamland-

Twilight Horror, In Memory of Day, In Dread of Night, Search for the Silver Key, Sleep of the Dead, Journey of Unknown Kadeth

V. Madness and Horror-

The Mountain of Madness, Ancient Horrors

VI. The Yoggoth Contract- (coming soon)

Whispers of the Dark, Murmers of Evil, The Spoken Covenant

3. Ive never seen any ruling about this. The rulebook mentions the CCG as additional cards that can be used in the game.

I have all APs except the first Summons of the Deep pack now, and I don't understand how people can limit themselves to have 3x of every card all the time ;)

The latest delivery left me with 120 cards I still haven't allocated in any decks. There are in fact enough powerful cards to make more than one deck per faction (a few ancient ones replacing the main guys, adding some neutrals and so on). Since everything from the LCG era is being reprinted (2 stand-alone packs, 2x6 cards of cycles) there will be options for completists. I know of at least one store with At the Mountains of Madness still in stock :)

The core set will let you start, but a few packs will make it more fun (and easier to build well-rounded decks). Aiming for 50-60 cards per player, you will have many nice options with 2-3 packs (any packs!). Ancient Horrors adds 5 ancient ones which are fun, and the last Dreamlands pack has Nyarlathotep. If you have a complete/near-complete collection you'll obsessively build decks all night (I know I am!).

I'm guessing W:I will have the same "problem" once the next cycle is underway. Right now one particular faction is very powerful, but more tactics and units to counter it will appear. CoC LCG certainly has enough different tactics you can use.

Ya, i am in the same situation as Wytefang.

I am thinking about getting the game, but i too am a completionist (i want at leats one of every card for W:I and everything else i like) so not being able to get all the cards sort of is pushing me away from getting the game.

Looks like a good game and i still might give it a try.

evilidler said:

Since everything from the LCG era is being reprinted (2 stand-alone packs, 2x6 cards of cycles) there will be options for completists.

I'd be curious to know where you got this information, because I also heard the earlier packs were going to be reprinted.

Concerning the game and whether to jump onboard, all i can add is: You can't beat the price of a LCG. Especially if your used to the money pit of those other collectable card games, that make cards "too old for tournaments" after a couple years. Even if you just bought the core set and started getting AP now, your ahead. Just build some decks to play with friends who dont have the cards. Then if FFG reprints the old sets, you can grab them. Your missing two sets of six and a set of two.

By "LCG era" I mean the two packs and 6-cycle series most recently released - at least I think I saw many of them in the Upcoming section. Then again, waking and dreaming states are sort of mixing lately, so I might be wrong. All those miniatures and whatnot make the page a bit untidy. Perhaps they should have sub-sections under Upcoming :)

Ephraim said:

You can't beat the price of a LCG.

Note, that you can basically play any CCG/LCG game for free online.

Not interested in online play - I like to have physical cards in my hand. ;)

evilidler said:

By "LCG era" I mean the two packs and 6-cycle series most recently released - at least I think I saw many of them in the Upcoming section. Then again, waking and dreaming states are sort of mixing lately, so I might be wrong. All those miniatures and whatnot make the page a bit untidy. Perhaps they should have sub-sections under Upcoming :)

They do. There are drop down menus that can filter out the type of game you want to see. Just hit Living Card Games and Apply. There are 6 older asylum packs that are in the reprint stage.