Is the gameplay any good? My thoughts on the gameplay stream - The BattleCast

By TheWiseGuy, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Thanks for the videos. I love your breakdowns, easy, direct, no bs.

Edited by Thaeggan

Thanks!

There is very much room to get more interesting stuff! In the future the map tiles and terrain can have big effect on actions you do in the map. Mountains and hills can be very different from lake and coastal tiles and so on. I also agree that the story and scenario can be much more surprising than these two scenarios. And yep, the app is doing great work. Most of it could be done by humans without map, but it would definitely be slower and more fiddly. The kudos to app! Preparing and scouting is very important definitely. And I think that those decisions become really important in long run when there are more XP cards in the deck-

I am not sure that the devs did right how legolas did shoot in battle map... Through the wall? That does not seems to be right. He may shoot from longer distance, but that part I would like to be clarified...

The player group did not make very good decisions in the beginning of the first scenario, but they did improve their pace at the second half of first scenario, so your desisions does count and they seems to be meaningful. I also liked the side quest if they come to haunt or help you in the future, like the horse and that is very cool! So the app can definitely bring cool legacy aspect to the game and that is from story telling part very nice to see!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
Typo

I only watched the first halve of the first scenario to avoid spoilers. I appreciate the battlecast videos.

I was disappointed in the combat I saw. I don't think it is a good idea to have damage spill over between enemies like that without the use of cleave or something.

They could change that feature in the app before release as well as the complexity of the decisions you are required to make. I hope they take it into consideration.

8 hours ago, Thaeggan said:

Thanks for the videos. I love your breakdowns, easy, direct, no bs.

Thanks man! I appreciate your support :)

14 minutes ago, NukeMaster said:

I only watched the first halve of the first scenario to avoid spoilers. I appreciate the battlecast videos.

I was disappointed in the combat I saw. I don't think it is a good idea to have damage spill over between enemies like that without the use of cleave or something.

They could change that feature in the app before release as well as the complexity of the decisions you are required to make. I hope they take it into consideration.

Yah that combat decision was strange. Also Line of sight in combat is something that can be improved. I think ultimately I would have loved for the battle maps to be broken up into like 7-10 squares instead of 5.

I agree they have lots of time to change and expansions etc which they have confirmed. As so much of this game is app driven it can be updated easily i suspect.

Thanks for commenting :)

2 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Thanks!

There is very much room to get more interesting stuff! In the future the map tiles and terrain can have big effect on actions you do in the map. Mountains and hills can be very different from lake and coastal tiles and so on. I also agree that the story and scenario can be much more surprising than these two scenarios. And yep, the app is doing great work. Most of it could be done by humans without map, but it would definitely be slower and more fiddly. The kudos to app! Preparing and scouting is very important definitely. And I think that those decisions become really important in long run when there are more XP cards in the deck-

I am not sure that the devs did right how legolas did shoot in battle map... Though the wall? That does not seems to be right. He may shoot from longer distance, but that part I would like to be clarified...

The player group did not make very good decisions in the beginning of the first scenario, but they did improve their pace at the second half of first scenario, so you decisions does count and they seems to be meaningful. I also liked the side quest if they come to haunt or help you in the future, like the horse and that is very cool! So the app can definitely bring cool legacy aspect to the game and that is from story telling part very nice to see!

Yah I think people were too focused on killing enemies and the heroes not taking damage but lets not forget what the movies and books are about! Legolas and Aragorn can full on kill like 50 guys each. The main indication that you are losing the scenario is the threat.

From reading the descriptions here and there, I have the impression that the game is largely based on skill tests. I am quite worried about this, as this is the aspect I enjoy the less in other games. I certainly wouldn't want any game to be mostly series of attributes tests... How do you feel about this?

If skill tests are such an important part of the game, hopefully they do not only revolve around success/failure but also indeed allow for a variety of outcomes...

21 hours ago, Calarague said:

From reading the descriptions here and there, I have the impression that the game is largely based on skill tests. I am quite worried about this, as this is the aspect I enjoy the less in other games. I certainly wouldn't want any game to be mostly series of attributes tests... How do you feel about this?

If skill tests are such an important part of the game, hopefully they do not only revolve around success/failure but also indeed allow for a variety of outcomes...

Yah good question. From what I can tell this game is largely based around skill tests. There are many ways to increase your likelihood of success though, so in that regard its about skill tests and preparation. In the gameplay video we did see skill tests that had variable results :). Most games require some form of test, be it dice or card.

how else does anything occur in games though?

Rolling dice is a skill check. Doing something without a check gets boring, though sometimes it is nice to have free bees.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, NukeMaster said:

I don't have much of a problem with the damage spilling over. As long as the difficulty ends up feeling right I can understand it from a thematic sense. In the movies/books it seems that the heroes often get several shots/swings in before the enemy ever gets a chance to hit back. I'm envisioning Legolas firing off several arrows and dropping a few orcs before they even get through the door.