[Ruling] Finger of Jade & Covert

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

Finger of Jade says: "Interrupt: When the effects of a card ability that targets attached character would initiate, sacrifice this attachment – cancel those effects."

Note that Finger of Jade says "card ability", not "triggered ability", like Shiba Yojimbo for example. Covert is a keyword ability that targets a character.

Can Finger of Jade be sacrificed to cancel covert?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Finger of Jade says: "Interrupt: When the effects of a card ability that targets attached character would initiate, sacrifice this attachment – cancel those effects."

Note that Finger of Jade says "card ability", not "triggered ability", like Shiba Yojimbo for example. Covert is a keyword ability that targets a character.

Can Finger of Jade be sacrificed to cancel covert?

A “card ability” includes: actions, constant abilities, interrupts, keywords, and reactions (RRG pg 2). Since Covert is one of those things, and it has both an initiation point and it targets, you would be able to use Finger of Jade to cancel Covert.

[Tyler Parrott, 14.11.2017]

Are Covert targets chosen simultaneously and resolved simultaneously or sequentially? For example, if Player A is attacking with two Covert characters and Player B has a character with Finger of Jade, can Player A use one Covert and see if the Finger is used in response before declaring the second, or must both be declared at the same time?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Are Covert targets chosen simultaneously and resolved simultaneously or sequentially? For example, if Player A is attacking with two Covert characters and Player B has a character with Finger of Jade, can Player A use one Covert and see if the Finger is used in response before declaring the second, or must both be declared at the same time?

All instances of covert must be chosen before Finger of Jade can interrupt to cancel one of them.

[Tyler Parrott, Mar 8 2019]

So is it valid to choose the same target for two Covert?

One of my friends told me "Multiple instances of covert won't stack if you're trying to double covert someone to break a finger of jade. The covert keyword let's you choose one of your opponents characters for each character you declare with the keyword. All characters are coverted simultaneously and a character is considered coverted or not coverted. "

I am confused now.

1 hour ago, tanx0_0 said:

So is it valid to choose the same target for two Covert?

One of my friends told me "Multiple instances of covert won't stack if you're trying to double covert someone to break a finger of jade. The covert keyword let's you choose one of your opponents characters for each character you declare with the keyword. All characters are coverted simultaneously and a character is considered coverted or not coverted. "

I am confused now.

Yes you can choose the same character twice to bypass a finger of jade, all declarations are considered to occur simultaneously