People who experienced all the campaign, which one you think is the best, why?

By La Giuggia, in Imperial Assault Campaign

The title is pretty self expalnatory, in order to decide which expansion to buy I would love to have opinion about the campaigns. 1vsAll campaign is the thing I care about the most. Fun, variation, cool mission goals, balance, and so on.

So, how do you rate the campaigns and why?

Thanks!

Top 2: HotE and Jabba's

these two are so close for me that it is hard to say. The heroes in both expansions are AMAZING! the units that both boxes bring are great. The story behind both campaigns is also stellar. I like HotE more in the fact that it is a shorter campaign, being 9 missions as opposed to 11 or 12. It also gives you fun little rewards for completing various missions.

#3 Hoth
The heroes in this box are solid picks. not the best, nor the most interesting, but still solid. The units are thematic, but hard to bring into other campaigns, and some have not aged well. The story is pretty good, and the missions have good variety.

#4 Lothal (haven't played the whole thing yet, but I like it so far)
This is a short campaign that can be extended, which is good IMO. The heroes are both fantastic and feel unique. The units that come in the box are a mixed bag to me. The death troopers are cool, but the lolcats seem a little weird.

#5 Bespin
The heroes from this one are pretty cool, not amazing but pretty good. The missions are fairly imbalanced for both sides, which is kind of a negative. The tiles are gorgeous though. The enemy units that come in this one are... not great. Short campaign, so not my biggest cup of tea.

#6 Twin shadows
The heroes in this one are... Not good. The opposing units are probably better than what you get bespin, as heavies look cool and tuskens can be solid. The story is kind of cool, But the cool tiles don't get used enough (cantina/destroyer bridge).

Number 5 and 6 could probably be changed around for me as well. If you couldn't tell, the heroes were one of the big selling points for me in the different boxes.

I really liked Jabba's Realm. My group and I use a simple house rule: when we play a new box, content of that box has priority on content of older boxes. This way we explore content as much as we can and keep the campaign experience the freshest possible.

Well... Jabba's Realm brought unique heroes: Shyla that has nice mechanics and an overpowered feeling, Vinto can spread a lot of damage and Onar is a kind of unique in his genre. Some missions are also unique because of objectives and design (no spoilers here). Campaign for the first time sees mercenary characters involved both as Rebels and Imperials, although symbology in use divides them in Rebel players and Imperial players as usual.

Hopefully one day we'll play a campaign as imperial "rebel players" vs one rebel "imperial player", maybe a campaign that can be played on both sides both as overlord or cooperatively depending on campaign setup. Until that time, Jabba's Realm will remain the most innovative one even though it wasn't revolutionary as I would like it to be.

Edited by Trevize84

Out of what I've played...

1. Jabba's Realm

It's got some flaws, and the first half of the campaign can be a little slow. Ultimately, though, it ends up picking up a lot and is a really enjoyable experience.

2. Core

I really, really don't hate the core campaign. I think a lot of the problems people have with it are with the less than stellar early side missions, but now that we have a wealth of side missions that's hardly an issue anymore. Not all of the missions mechanics are great, but Core really nails that Star Wars feel better than anything else.

3. Hoth

Hoth had some prety great missions (the final two, for our group, were some of my favorite in the game) but aside from the beautiful snow tiles not much else stood out. In fact, mission design can, at times, be even worse than core. On top of that, I'd add that the Threat Missions actually work to significantly hamper replayability, as the Rebels will be heavily encouraged to choose their side missions from a severely limited Threat deck as opposed to the much larger standard side mission one.

What I've played as side missions

1. Bespin

I haven't played all of the Bespin missions singularly yet, but they tend to be all right. They're usually pretty small, but it looks like some of the later missions get more fun. The tiles are really evocative of Bespin, too. I hate to bring up something so trivial, but my players usually point out how great they look.

2. Twin Shadows

Eh. It's fine. Some missions are pretty cool (Canyon Run) some are pretty weak (Kayn's mission). Really, just feels like a smaller version of the core set- though, again, with some excellent tiles.

What I want to play

1. Heart of the Empire

I've been wanting to play this one for a long time now, but our group has a ton of games in the pipeline including an ongoing D&D session. It's definitely the most complex in both mission and campaign structure. From the missions I've read, I have no doubt this would be at the top of my list. My only caveat is it may feel less "Star Wars" to fans of only the OT, but that's not something that bothers me.

2. Tyrants of Lothal

They definitely tried to make this small box something different, and I think it paid off. Mission variety is impressive, and Sands of Seelos in particular has piqued my interest.

The Apps (even though I guess you didn't ask about them)

1. Hoth

So I haven't technically played this one yet, but from what I've read I'm pretty well certain it'll be my favorite.

2. Freedom Fighter

The only campaign with an original story not based wholly on a box game, this one stands out to me. It's not as complex as the other app campaigns, but I think it incorporates the "random" factor a little better, and for someone who has every expansion that's pretty meaningful.

3. Jabba's Realm

Eh. It's basically the boxed campaign. Missions tend to generally be better than their paged counterparts, but I feel like this was a huge missed opportunity to do something really interesting.

I'd have to give it to Jabba's Realm. Jabba himself is a great villain addition. Captain Terro is possibly the best of the villains created for the game. Jedi Luke is iconic and awesome to play. All of the new heroes are enjoyable to play. Jet Troopers give me joy whenever I put them on the table, they look so cool. Also, Rancor. 'Nuff said.

The campaign structure was executed very well. Offered a little bit of choice throughout campaign and within missions. Feels the most balanced of all the campaigns.

From what I've experienced;

Pretty much what people above are saying;

1) Jabba's Realm

2) Heart of the Empire

3) Return to Hoth

4) Bespin Gambit

5) Twin Shadows

?) Tyrants of Lothal (haven't played, but heard is very swingy...)

For me, speaking only about campaigns, not other content:

1) Core campaign (yes, this is my favourite)

2) HotE

3) Hoth

4) Jabba's

as you can see, I like longer campaigns, I just dont get the feel from the shorter ones...

5 minutes ago, Jarema said:

2) HotE

as you can see, I like longer campaigns, I just dont get the feel from the shorter ones...

But.. but... HotE is just 8 missions, so how can it be 2nd? ;)

Jabba's Realm. To me this is the expansion that really spring boarded the game forward. I hated what it did to the meta for Skirmish (15/16 lists at worlds that year were scum, with only a few points in list variation) but for Campaign it was awesome. Tons of iconic content and locations.

I always enjoyed Hoth, but it felt very situational and time period specific. Jabba's Realm just felt like we walked into Jabba's place at any given timeline.

If anyone was buying one expansion this is the one I would recommend.

For me it was Twin Shadows. Partly because the finale came down to one dice roll, which the heroes won by coming up with something completely crazy and complicated with the winning activation which I did not seem coming. Really intense. Second best, the Core campaign, if only because it was so fresh - had enormous amounts of fun with that. I'd probably put Bespin third.

I thought Jabba's was really poor, but that's at least in part because I took Hutt Mercenaries Imperial class and it's just a complete fun sink. As an example, I won the finale in two rounds - the heroes didn't even get to the first of the two events I won't mention to avoid spoilers, let alone the second, let alone come close to winning. Wasn't just the finale though, taking that Imperial class meant basically the entire final two-thirds of the campaign was a walkover for the Imperials. Would it have been more fun without that? Maybe. I can't really be sure.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:41 PM, MadFuhrer said:

#3 Hoth
The heroes in this box are solid picks. not the best, nor the most interesting, but still solid. The units are thematic, but hard to bring into other campaigns, and some have not aged well. The story is pretty good, and the missions have good variety

I pretty much agree with your entire post (apart from reserving comment on some stuff I haven't played yet) but I was curious about your Hoth comment. Which units haven't aged well? I'd guess the tank? Maybe Sorin? The Wampas are always popular when the App inexplicably drops one on us in the middle of a factory/foundry or a desert :D

I've waxed lyrical about Loku on these forums several times. He's my personal favourite hero (not the strongest, but I like him best) and MHD is a solid support hero. Verena might be one of the best designed heroes in the game. Like Diala, she really has no bad skills, but she doesn't feel broken (cough Shyla cough).

The heroes are overall more balanced in the app because they can't save up and get the best high-XP cards. (The best use for XP is not always both 4XP cards though. Usually, but not always.)

I agree, in addition to support-like abilities like Scouting Report (which is great in and out of the app), Loku gets a lot of mileage out of some of the new items like Hand Cannon.

Edited by a1bert