Para Bellum - Conquest

By KateTPM, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Apologies if this has already been brought up.

Para Bellum have a new miniatures strategy game coming out this year called Conquest - Last Argument of Kings.

It consists of army trays with multiple figures per base. Could be a good source for proxies or new custom units for Runewars or vice versa.

How much is Para Bellum paying you?

Si vis pacem

On 3/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, KateTPM said:

Apologies if this has already been brought up.

Para Bellum have a new miniatures strategy game coming out this year called Conquest - Last Argument of Kings.

It consists of army trays with multiple figures per base. Could be a good source for proxies or new custom units for Runewars or vice versa.

The scale is much larger in Conquest, as they're closer to Legion-sized miniatures (35mm). So mixing the two would look very strange. That said, Conquest looks more than promising enough to get into on its own merits. I've been following it for quite some time, and most of what they're previewed looks fantastic.

I saw it at Adepticon last week. The figures are definitely larger, but this could certainly be explained as being of a different race like how the Dunadan were larger than common men. The demons (or chaos or whatever they were) could likewise be explained as a race which is physically larger than the other races in Terrinoth, however, I don’t know if that fits with Terrinoth lore. The trays appeared to be the same size, but I didn’t have a Runewars tray with me to compare.

I am moving to Conquest. I was sad the way they bungled Runewars. But Conquest is going to be a great game, with 18 factions planned. First 4 factions will all have 10-11 units the first year. Also it costs even less than Runewars with better models.

I never actually got into Runewars. The rules seemed very interesting, but the factions and lore didn't really grab me. Conquest, however, I have been very keen on.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, Drakoniss said:

I am moving to Conquest. I was sad the way they bungled Runewars. But Conquest is going to be a great game, with 18 factions planned. First 4 factions will all have 10-11 units the first year. Also it costs even less than Runewars with better models.

Yeah, looks like it's a lot more expensive. $48 for 3 trays of knights (1 model per tray). $41 for 3 trays of infantry ($17 per tray), as opposed to $25 for 2 trays ($12.50 per tray).

18 factions a lot, 10-11 units is good. I'd rather see 10 factions and 18 units than 18 factions and 10 units.

Not sure where you are looking at those prices. They are all wrong. Starter sell most places for $68.

Here is a link to actual prices. You only need 1-2 expansions so you looking about 65 models for 100$. Less $1.50 per model.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=para+bellum

If the line infantry can fit into a Runewars base, then we may be in business. The scale is a bit off compared to Runewars, but they could easily be explained as a different race of humans similar to the Dunadan of Middle Earth...

I can't say I'll get into it for the sake of Runewars. I did see it at Adepticon in passing, and it looked really cool in person. I might get into it for its own sake and see where things go. Games, first and foremost, require people to play, and if a decent community doesn't develop around a game, it just won't cut it.

Do they have goblins as a faction? It is very important that they have goblins 😁

20 hours ago, Drakoniss said:

Not sure where you are looking at those prices. They are all wrong. Starter sell most places for $68.

Here is a link to actual prices. You only need 1-2 expansions so you looking about 65 models for 100$. Less $1.50 per model.

The loss-leading starter and expensive expansion plan kinda rubs me the wrong way. Feels hard to justify getting a couple boxes of Steel Legion or Marksmen Clones when that's the same price as a whole starter.

Decent chance I pick up a box though, $68 is pretty nuts.

@Vergilius you’re right on target. If you have a group, any game is fun. When I tell our local X-wing group that I play Runewars, they ask me, “Isn’t that game dead?” My response is we have a group of 5-6 that plays and enjoys it, so who cares. Of course, it’s fun to get new stuff, but many of those same X-wing players aren’t buying the new Clone Wars stuff, so functionally, it’s the same situation.

6 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

The loss-leading starter and expensive expansion plan kinda rubs me the wrong way. Feels hard to justify getting a couple boxes of Steel Legion or Marksmen Clones when that's the same price as a whole starter.

Decent chance I pick up a box though, $68 is pretty nuts.

From what I understand, the starter kits don't come with the command upgrade sprues, which no doubt helps them to drop those costs, but is a good reason I'll likely get just one starter.

Edited by srMontresor
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, Drakoniss said:

That's a link to a online discount, not actual pricing.

I'm getting the pricing off the company's website.

If you want to compare online discounted rates, I got Uthuk starter sets at $20 each new (16 infantry, 4 cav, and 2 monsters = $0.91 each), and expansions sets at $15 to $20 each.

At any point, miniature market might not be offering those discounts posted and you're back to retail pricing, which is high for the quality.

The real question for any miniatures game is how much it takes to feel competitive. For runewars, I generally wanted to be field every tray size and have the option of running 2x2s of certain units. So even at two starters, that’s still a pretty investment. Five Darnati boxes felt a bit rough, for example.

i don’t have enough sense of how para bellum works as a game to know how many expansions I’ll end up needing if I buy in.

5 hours ago, Vergilius said:

The real question for any miniatures game is how much it takes to feel competitive. For runewars, I generally wanted to be field every tray size and have the option of running 2x2s of certain units. So even at two starters, that’s still a pretty investment. Five Darnati boxes felt a bit rough, for example.

i don’t have enough sense of how para bellum works as a game to know how many expansions I’ll end up needing if I buy in.

With heavily discounted starter boxes, anything not in them is going to feel bad. At $36 per expansion, it's in line with Runewars (3 trays instead of 2 per box) so if you want to field a big unit of new unit, it's going to cost.

Just running a few calculations, it looks to me like it is going to be in the ballpark of Runewars per spending. For example, at MSRP, the starter plus one of each expansion, plus an extra Steel Legion is 271. A second of each and a third Steel Legion is 457. That's probably about where I was in Runewars for being in with Latari, and then where I ended up at the end. Again, buying on sale cut down on that considerably. I bought 5 Darnati warriors all at once, because Runewars has the option of putting 9 trays of infantry on the board at once. Starter plus one generic infantry is 9 trays. 3 expansions is 9 trays. Basically, if the small adjustment from 2 trays at 25 to 3 trays at 36 affects the point at which you have bought enough, then the overall cost could come down. From what I've seen so far, I think two boxes of most new expansions is going to be the sweet spot, and three boxes is the completionist approach.