How many losses?

By errrik012, in Player community

9 hours ago, gpd924 said:

Yeah, taking years to errata a card is ridiculous. I don't follow that Boromir errata at all.

I agree. The errata was also done with such little care as to render the card useless. It went from being the meta to the trash heap.

I wouldn’t say trash heap. Boromir is still a very powerful hero, just not at all when compared to his pre-errata self.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:57 PM, errrik012 said:

For all the players out there that play solo single-handed: How many times will you usually play through a scenario before you finally beat it?

Related: How many times will you play with the same deck before making changes?

Thanks!

- Erik

I'm a bit late, but I prefer to play Solo single-handed myself. I realize this makes some scenarios ... difficult ... if not impossible. But I don't really like 2-Handed Solo (too much fiddliness), so I view Single-Handed Solo as an opportunity to just test the flow and function of a deck, which can make for a positive experience even if the Quest is a failure, since you can get a feel for what about a deck is clicking well, what is not coming together like you hoped, and what the deck's biggest strengths or weaknesses are (for when thinking about what deck to pair it with for 2 Player).

Ultimately, I prefer to play the game as 2 Player Co-Op, but my opportunities to do so are somewhat rare. So, between those sessions, I may play a few 1 Handed Solo quests, and view those opportunities as a chance to build and tweak deck concepts which can ultimately be brought together during the next co-op session.

Anecdotally, at the moment I have built three decks with my somewhat-meager collection. As a milestone, I make sure each of the decks can reliably handle Passage Through Mirkwood , because if a deck can't handle that it probably needs scrapping, even if it would perform better in 2 Player games. Journey Down the Anduin , though, is a beast for solo single-handed. The Troll and the Stage 2B two-cards-per-player staging (2:1) versus the three-cards-for-two-players staging (3:2) are brutal. That said, I have still enjoyed throwing my solo decks against it to help gain information, tweak, and see how they perform. One of my decks (Tactics, Tactics, Spirit) can actually beat the scenario solo, which was quite surprising, but even then it'll still auto-lose if The Brown Lands ever pop up with an active location already showing (or with a second Brown Lands, or with Eastern Blight). There's simply no way to recover from that vicious swing in Threat without access to resources like Snowborn Scout or Secret Ways. But, since beating the quests isn't the goal I expect for my single-handed Solo runs, I am able to enjoy the journey rather than the (mostly failed) destination. For me, the most important feature of a deck is how reliably it can perform in the first few rounds of the game--how reliably can its resource engine fire on Turn 1, Turn 2, and Turn 3? Playing a quest and failing half-way through three times gives a better picture of a how a deck handles the early economy much better than playing all the way through the quest and beating it once.

If I didn't have 2 Player Co-Op as my "main" form of playing, though, I suspect my attitude toward 1 Handed Solo would be quite different... and quite a bit more frustrating.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

I play about 50/50 single hand and two player with a friend with a splash of 3-4 players here and there.

It wildly varies depending on what deck I'm using and the scenario, but for a good number of quests playing solo was actually easier for me- Granted that could be because sometimes the quest was experienced first in two player, then after my friend left I would tweak my deck slightly/know more about the deck so its not actually my opinion its easier in general, just that the disparity hasn't been that large between the challenge of both.

That being said, certain decks just don't work well solo, my Beorning deck basically cant win solo but is ridiculous with any deck that can quest well.

For normal mode quests I generally 1-shot all of sands of Harad with one or two quests that required making some adjustments/tweaking my deck. I played through all of that single hand solo.

For nightmare mode its definitely a bit more swingy, since playing it blind can blow you out extremely harshly in some of these scenarios if your deck is reliant on certain things. Generally for everything in the first two blocks on nightmare we beat it in 1-2 tries with the big exception of the extremely RNG escape from Moria. In the third block I was able to beat NM Peril, NM into Ithilien, and then 2 player bashed our head against NM siege of Cair A. While we struggled a lot with NM steward/druadan in two player I beat them both in single player on my first shot.

All in all I view two player+ as more of a thing to do for fun than a strategic advantage in most cases, especially when both players are just building a deck they think is fine as opposed to covering each others weakness etc.