Adapting Unmatched Mobility from EtU?

By Desslok, in Realms of Terrinoth

Hey guys -

So my Archaeologist Indy/Laura Croft clone seems to be coming together nicely. One of unexpectedly fun things she can do is the freerunning (and soon to be the improved freerunning). I didn't intend for her to pivot that way, but she strikes me as a nimble little minx.

So I started brainstorming the idea of adapting Unmatched Mobility from Enter the Unknown as a Heroic Ability. This is very much shooting from the hip, so it may not work at all. The base ability remains unchanged: Once per session as an incidental, spend 2 points to increase the number of maneuvers she is allowed per turn to three for the next 2 rounds. This third maneuver may be gained by the same means as a second maneuver .

For the upgrades underneath the Unmatched Mobility base ability are. We've got :

Duration +1
Duration +1
Duration +1
Destiny Point expenditure -1
Melee defense
Ranged defense
Free maneuver (AKA no strain when you take this maneuver)
Free maneuver

Looking at the Heroic Ability Upgrades listed in the actual Terrinoth book, the Duration and DP expenditure are already written up. So we can just pull those out of consideration, leaving us with:

Melee defense
Ranged defense
and the two Free Maneuvers

So my thinking for the Improved Upgrade: While Unmatched Mobility is active, the character gains two additional free maneuvers on his turn. This does not increase the maximum number of maneuvers the character may perform per turn (three with the ability active) . In short, those three costs no strain to take. Not too terribly game-breaking, I would think.

For the Supreme Upgrade the ranged and melee are rolled into the same: While Unmatched Mobility is active, the character increases his ranged and melee defense by 1 . This one might be too strong? I'm not sure.

What do you think, sirs?

Dont think its gamebreaking considering its once per session.
Your base ability while it does provide something not available to anyone else it does so at a cost in this case strain.

Your improved version negates the cost of 4 strain total. And the supreme adds a defense. Tbh. the defense part is a bit boring for a heroic ability :) Otherwise i think its a pretty close adaption.

Yeah, the sad fact is that Unmatched Mobility comes from the early days of the signature talents, while the later day ones are so much better. But it thematically fits with my Off Brand Indy, so there you go.

However I'm willing to entertain any and all suggestions on how to spice up the Supreme!

Edited by Desslok

Well your defense thing could be replicated with just a secondary effect like dimish. So i think its kinda weak.

Lets look at what some of the other defensive talents does in supreme.

Hard to kill:

Supreme: While their Heroic Ability is active, your character
becomes immune to damage; reduce all damage the character
suffers to 0.

Connected:
Supreme: While this ability is active, when an intelligent
adversary declares your character the target of an attack, as an
out-of-turn incidental you may force the adversary to choose
a different target instead.

Those are both pretty potent. There are others in the ROT we could go on :)

If you want a defensive ability perhaps look at some
of the defensive talents from the martial artist from Star Wars if you know them ?

Coordination dodge
When targeted by a combat check, may spend 1 Destiny Point to add f equal to ranks in Coordination.

Remove the destiny point cost.

So perhaps.
When targeted by a combat check as a out of turn incidential
add f equal to ranks in coordination. ?

Powerfull yes indeed but compared to take no damage still ok i think ?

You could check out
overbalance
When a combat check made by an engaged foe generates y or ttt, may stagger attacker until the end of his next turn

If you want offense maybe
martial grace.
Once per round, suffer 2 strain to add damage equal to ranks in Coordination to the next Brawl check made this turn.
Again ditch the strain cost while active.

Off course check these with your GM as always :)