I want to be able to go to a store ask for the Star Wars RPG and they can point me at a single book called the Star Wars RPG

By TylerTT, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

22 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

A bit late to the party here, but this reads like a GM and the players not being on the same page about appropriate character concepts for a game.

Exactly.

I don’t personally own the Age of Rebellion Corebook, and even though I have the Force and Destiny Corebook, I never got to use it yet.

The games I write are always set in a underworld setting (my favorite part of the Star Wars universe), so when we start the campaign, the players all naturally choose from the Edge of the Empire Corebook, even though I allow them to pick from Force and Destiny too.

So, I could not own F&D and it would not change anything.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:02 PM, TylerTT said:

The DND books come in box sets

If FFG made DND there would be

Wizard club. An rpg about being wizards!

fighter gang. An rpg about being a fight man!

rouge no freinds. An rpg about being rouges with no freinds!

If you want to recreate an adventureing party from your favorite book just learn three whole games!

The classic dnd split is great because one book governs the game and the two other books serve as a reference for the player options and the monster options. You can keep three page spreads open at one time

oh and those books used to be sold in a box.

It's important to remember that FFG has to pay for the licensing to have this IP. I forgive them all of their parsing and use of official examples because they have to make sure they don't go broke.

But you can simply make up your own stuff and eschew the books.

Also it's every GMs job to monitor and restrain the players or the GM pays the price.

I remember FFG's 40k RPG line. There was always complaining about the number of core books, that the game would be 'so much' better if they were able to buy one corebook, mixing and matching the different styles for a party, about how one book should cover Imperial Guardsmen, Inquisitors, Space Marines, Rogue Traders, Xenos, Chaos, etc, how they 'ruined' the system by not doing so, because there was this one player who kicked and screamed this 'overly powerful unique concept' couldn't be played with the theme of whatever corebook they picked up and therefore FFG's approach was all wrong.

Later, when FFG lost the license, out came Wrath and Glory in the same IP. It promised to do exactly that; shove the whole kitchen sink in, play whatever you want, only buy one book! What we instead ended up with was an extremely thin, lacking product with all the depth of a puddle, where pagecount was sacrificed to give everybody everything... to the point there was nothing. The detailed lore gave way to broadstrokes you could get off a Wikia page, power levels between concepts were still out of whack, classes that could be fleshed out extensively in different ways became shallow or outright unplayable because they no longer existed, owing to how narrow FFG's focus had been to allow it.

Now the Star Wars line is a little different because mechanically there's a much tighter power level between the game lines. However, what would inevitably happen is we end up with multiple splatbooks covering each 'theme', because inevitably the word/page count is so limited compared to a big, chunky corebook. Sure you've got the big rules... except now you've got extremely generic careers and you're waiting several years to really get the main course, rather than trying to stretch out your starter... then the same people will complain, "Why do I need to buy three books just to run a Rebel Alliance game?"

Edited by Arbitrator