Cow-like Beasts and How to Use Them

By Jukey, in Runewars Tactics

I feel I'm starting to get a pretty good feel for Ventala. Here are my musings on the best uses for them.

2x1: This is an expendable support/striker unit. The only upgrade it should have is rank discipline, allowing it deadly 2 threat precise attacks. A case could be made for durable hedged 2x1s, but it's not going to deliver the desired damage output. These units should be run in pairs to triplets, 4 seems like overkill though.

3x1: This formation is the one I've tried the least. It's just bad... In order to capitalize on the 3 threat, you have to bring flank fire, making the unit 29 points. It has no reroll, and swings between 0-9 damage potential (usually 3-6). In almost every circumstance a 2x2 with TS is going to drastically outperform the 3x1 for 4 points more.

2x2: The very best Ventala unit size. This unit is a true swiss army knife. Best results when running tempered steel and hedge shroud. This unit can consistently put out 4-8 damage if it has 1 or 2 inspiration. Meagan also embeds very nicely into this unit. The unit stands right between annoyingly durable, while being squirrelly enough to mess with the opponent and make the best of most situations. Tempered steel seems like the best equipment due to ventala having no surge effects and a tendancy to roll surges. Hedge can also be replaced with rank, LotL, or even CQT, but each is a bit more niche. 2 of these units perform great in tandem.

3x2: This unit is a powerhouse, but can get pinned fairly easily due to its size nullifying the agility of the Ventala. Flank fire is almost a must have, same with embedded Meagan (lethal 1-3 is great). Tempered steel really brings the power up, with 3 threat capability.

Rune Ventala: If you have a fortress build, Ventala can make a nice rune thrower, with an i8 ranged attack and white skill. Fire rune does well on them (especially with Meagan). Corruption rune could do considerable work. Wind rune can make them almost uncatchable. However, the skill is harder to dial in than you would expect. Ventala generally want to move and shoot, sitting stationary and double tapping is only really viable in the first 3 turns in most games. It does give them early initiative options, as they normally can do nothing attack-wise until i5 or later.

Thoughts?

I prefer the 3x1 formation with flank fire and metered march, actually. The lack of a reroll it its weak spot, but metered march plus their innate turn-on-demand gives you the ability to roam pretty much wherever you feel like. Your opponent has to make a concerted effort to track you down, and if he does that, he's not concentrating on the bulk of your forces.

Interesting, it could be that I just see too many rippers and warsprinter zerkstars, so my opinion of that unit size is skewed. I'll have to try running a few 1x3s next time.

I tend to shy away from units that don’t have re-rolls. The benefit of the 2x2 in my eyes is the built in re-roll which allows you to use all of their upgrade slots for other purposes and it has several good upgrade types. One of my builds has:

• Simultaneous Orders
  • Corruption Rune
  • Warden of Horn and Branch
  • Metered March

You can actually get some use out of Corruption Rune and with Metered, you can contol your range to the target.

I also like using another build for a 2x3:

• Close Quarters Targeting
  • Metered March
  • Fire Rune
  • Prince Faolan

You can get a nice ranged shot with Fire Rune using Metered March on one turn and then a charge and Fire Rune on the next turn.

There’s lots of build options with this unit and their dial is filled with tactical choices. This unit has a lot of mileage in army building.

Brick house build.

5 sets of 2 trays with hedge shroud

6 trays darnati with green watch, verdant sorc, hedge shoud, path walker

Prince faolon, wth malcorns and valor of the fallen.

Gives 3 over growths, lots of inspiration, and is really hard to grind through. With enough small units, they can hit flanks.

I like this build, definitely maximizes the use of Hedge Shroud. Do you use much of a bid with this force? I’m just starting to use a Daqan force with Scouts and Seasoned Pathfinder and I find that controlling the deployment card is very important. Prevents your opponent from selecting a deployment with 2 terrain and lets you place the most important piece of terrain where you want it.

Are you using Valor for a specific purpose beyond bane mitigation? What about Legendary Prowess? The guy I play with every week sprung that card on me last week and it was nasty...

12 hours ago, sarumanthewhite said:

I like this build, definitely maximizes the use of Hedge Shroud. Do you use much of a bid with this force? I’m just starting to use a Daqan force with Scouts and Seasoned Pathfinder and I find that controlling the deployment card is very important. Prevents your opponent from selecting a deployment with 2 terrain and lets you place the most important piece of terrain where you want it.

Are you using Valor for a specific purpose beyond bane mitigation? What about Legendary Prowess? The guy I play with every week sprung that card on me last week and it was nasty...

Valor isn't for bane mitigation, its for inspiration to untap a few Shourds.