Maul Map Rotates In

By ManateeX, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

They rotated 2 maps right before worlds? This doesn't make sense. I understand DT won a lot and we need to avoid people with too much training, but like this it's going to be random!

When haven't new maps rotated two weeks before Worlds?

Edited by a1bert
1 hour ago, a1bert said:

When haven't new maps rotated two weeks before Worlds?

2 out of 3?

Edited by Trevize84

How does map rotation 2 weeks before Worlds differ from map rotation 2 weeks before other IA events?

(I'm just going by memory, someone in skirmish can probably list the dates and events. I'm saying this isn't the first time.)

Edited by a1bert

We've definitely had map changes close to worlds before (from memory it was jabba, uscru in the last two). In fact this is more notice than they usually give.

But I think he meant this is the first time we've had two of the three maps change so close to worlds (Lothal and now this new one). For the vast majority of players, only one map will be the same between their regional and worlds. Personally I don't hate it, since I find that map rotation keeps things fresh and there's still lots of time before the competition.

On the other hand, I DO hate it because the new map gives Spectre Cell players so many ways to sneak up on my rangers :P

Edited by ManateeX
2 hours ago, ManateeX said:

But I think he meant this is the first time we've had two of the three maps change so close to worlds

Exactly! Changing 2 out of 3 maps is very likely a meta-changer. I haven't looked too closely at the new map, but it looks definitely better than Uscru for melee and short ranged units. I wouldn't be surprised to see brawlers back into the meta. But I repeat, I haven't analysed the map myself.

1 hour ago, Trevize84 said:

Exactly! Changing 2 out of 3 maps is very likely a meta-changer. I haven't looked too closely at the new map, but it looks definitely better than Uscru for melee and short ranged units. I wouldn't be surprised to see brawlers back into the meta. But I repeat, I haven't analysed the map myself.

I haven't played on it yet, but I think you're right on. There are lots and lots of little hidey holes for melee figures to get up close without exposing themselves. The reason I'm so sad for Rangers is that it's tough to even find a place on the map that's 5 spaces away from another with line of sight, let alone have your opponent set themselves up to get shot there.

2 hours ago, ManateeX said:

I haven't played on it yet, but I think you're right on. There are lots and lots of little hidey holes for melee figures to get up close without exposing themselves. The reason I'm so sad for Rangers is that it's tough to even find a place on the map that's 5 spaces away from another with line of sight, let alone have your opponent set themselves up to get shot there.

Yes weequay in that sense are better than rangers, although using them for short range is a suicide. At least damage doesn't drop when they are closer to the target. Also they have access to On the Lam. I guess if they comes back into the meta, we'll see less motivation and more doubts :)

Edited by Trevize84

It's a big map but it does have a lot of nooks and crannies to hide it.

I wonder what the biggest map with the least cover would be? That would be the worst for SC. Especially with lots of objectives on it.

I wonder how SC would have fared a couple years ago on Nal Hutta.

Edited by Mandelore of the Rings
forgot something

Maul's map is another good one for Lie in Ambush :D

On 3/1/2019 at 4:33 PM, Trevize84 said:

Yup. the issue isn't Maul rotating in now, it's that they seemed to hold off Lothal Wastes until they had the spire rules sorted out. And that's fine also, they needed to get that fixed. BUT, couple that with the worlds timeline moving up, and it seemed like a lot of changes quickly.

Edited by Fightwookies
1 hour ago, Fightwookies said:

Yup. the issue isn't Maul rotating in now, it's that they seemed to hold off Lothal Wastes until they had the spire rules sorted out. And that's fine also, they needed to get that fixed. BUT, couple that with the worlds timeline moving up, and it seemed like a lot of changes quickly.

Spire rules?

6 minutes ago, dysartes said:

Spire rules?

41 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

Oh, so super important to know about