Vs2 Need really new rule for leveling caracters

By player3992729, in Mansions of Madness

Hi,

i wanted your advices, this game is really cool and immersive but it's missing for me experience (leveling) scenario after scenario if you play the same caracter.
For example : gain 1 dice in the skill you want
Or gain the object you desire at the begining of each scenario

Have you ever heard of any leveling extra rule we can set ? What do you yhink about it ? I will bring the game more role playing game...
Thanks for your advices

I don't think the game *needs* a persistent level up mechanism because it wasn't designed to ramp difficulty progressively between scenarios. But either way it's up to you how you want to play the game!

If you want to raise the stakes a bit, how about this:

Begin an easy scenario at first. If an investigator dies, don't end the game like the rules say. Just strike that investigator out of the pool. If they survive, they survive, and can be reused.

All characters start at "level 1". If they have a good ending on a scenario with a difficulty above their current level, they gain a +1 token to a skill, and increase their "level". If they get a bad ending, yet manage to survive, they start their next campaign with a facedown horror and a facedown injury.

If you complete all scenarios with investigators still in the pool, you've won against the darkness. Until a new scenario is released, that is. Yes, quite the marathon.

Or something like that.

You could also limit "level ups" to the various elixirs you find in the game.

Edited by Aelitafrommars

Aelita has some pretty good ideas. The balancing of the scenarios is handled more by the length of play. If you take too long you'll start to see the mythos really start to hammer you. This is why each scenario is seen more as a reset. Starting with more than the app intended for you to have may lead to some breaking of the balance. Just something to keep in mind if you chose to venture down the custom rules path!

Because of the way the game is structured around stand-alone scenarios, my group was playing around with the idea of forcing us to play with the (now) 36 investigators available (not always taking in your favourite).

Basically, the campaign would play all the scenarios in order as they appear in the app. If an Investigator is Wounded in a scenario, they must miss the next scenario while they heal at the hospital. If an Investigator is Insane in a scenario, they must miss the next scenario while they heal at the asylum. If an Investigator is both Wounded and Insane in a scenario, they must miss the next two scenarios while they heal at the hospital and asylum. If an Investigator is Eliminated, they are permanently removed from the available Investigators that can be chosen for the campaign.

We never decided anything beyond that. There's no reward for surviving except for being able to use that Investigator again. We also never thought about what happens to Investigators that fail a scenario (and thinking about it now, the world usually ends, so this is why Mansions of Madness isn't a campaign). But basically, this campaign idea was to add a level of danger to always choosing the same Investigator, to encourage using many of the 36 Investigators available. One day I'll get around to developing the idea further.

Thanks all for replying.

I'm ok with you the game isn't a campaign or RPGs game but bringing a levelling experience way will give to players a more exciting experience in long term.

So I will set new rules in this way:

- we are going to play scenarios from easiest to hardest

- for each happy new end a player gain 1 level (begin at level 0)

Level 1 : +1 to a character skill (chosen by player)

Level 2 : abilability to buy an object (for life time)

Level 3 : same lv1

Level 4 : same lv 2

- if a character is injured or insane he will be heal between 2 scenarios but still gain level

- if a character died level will be reset to 0

What do you think?

Mostly, i guess it depends on what you or your group think is fun.

Keeping items is neat in theory, but also be aware that:

-it can kind of bend a scenario a bit out of shape (at least on a semantic or narrative level, and sometimes on a challenge level) if the game instructs you to spawn an item one investigator already has or a threshold in the scenario logic relies on the player placing an item in some certain place which you were intended to find first or something like that.

-there is no item ratings, so it's hard to come up with rules balancing players from simply picking the best item in the deck or from the last campaign. Items are a big deal when it comes to how difficult or easy a scenario is.

Ultimately, you might want to decide for youself if this campaign style you want to homebrew is a game of survival and/or resource management, or a game of character development, and if the latter, in what ways is the player able to develop their character in an interesting way? Or if the game object is something else, of course.

Edited by Aelitafrommars