Will 1/5000 become the new 1/7000 for customs?

By DUR, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Just some food for thought here. Bandai's 1/5000 ISD-II release is coming up soon and at least I personally am wondering if other ships in this scale might be released at that level of quality (acknowledging the YT-1300 and CR-90 that come with the kit, of course) and there are already shapeways folks who are trying to catch that wave with 1/5000 versions of other classic ships. Anyone else thinking of jumping on this band wagon? (If someone can make some discernable, not-little-booger tie fighters and x-wings at 1/5000, I think I might be sold)

Meh?

I'm not a stickler for linear scale, so I'd rather just invest in models that fit the semi-exponential curve scale and call it good.

Not me. I've already spent a lot of time and money, buying, building and painting 1/7000 scale models. Besides, in 1/7000 most of the large and some of the medium ships don't need proxies. In 1/5000, nearly everything would need a proxy.

Ive spent MANY hours considering what scale looks good on the table alongside official FFG minis. the curve scale works for some but not others. When i printed all my star trek ships i decided on 1/4000 instead of curve scale for instance. Halo ships require a more aggressive curve and as I begin to tackle 40k ships i have a feeling the scale will get way way more agressive.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:13 PM, Thalomen said:

Not me. I've already spent a lot of time and money, buying, building and painting 1/7000 scale models. Besides, in 1/7000 most of the large and some of the medium ships don't need proxies. In 1/5000, nearly everything would need a proxy.

Do you have pictures of your fleet? I was thinking about getting some 1/7000 ships from Mel, and attempting, for the first time, to paint.

3 hours ago, MDeliso said:

Do you have pictures of your fleet? I was thinking about getting some 1/7000 ships from Mel, and attempting, for the first time, to paint.

I can take some, but I’m not sure how to share them. I’m not good at posting pictures.

12 minutes ago, Thalomen said:

I can take some, but I’m not sure how to share them. I’m not good at posting pictures.

Well at your leisure, of course, if you decide to. Maybe imgur or something. I'd love to see them, and I am sure I am not the only one who'd enjoy them.

12 hours ago, MDeliso said:

Well at your leisure, of course, if you decide to. Maybe imgur or something. I'd love to see them, and I am sure I am not the only one who'd enjoy them.

I second this.....

16 hours ago, MDeliso said:

.... for these reasons..

17 hours ago, MDeliso said:

5 hours ago, RuusMarev said:

I second this.....

.... for these reasons..

I aim to please. Ill go take some pictures now (including my custom SSD). If anyone can give directions on how to post, Ill be happy to.

In the mean time, I will go find out what imgur is.

5 minutes ago, Thalomen said:

I aim to please. Ill go take some pictures now (including my custom SSD). If anyone can give directions on how to post, Ill be happy to.

In the mean time, I will go find out what imgur is.

Its free, you upload to them, open your picture, copy the link, then paste it on this forum.

5 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

Its free, you upload to them, open your picture, copy the link, then paste it on this forum.

Alright. Check back in about 45 minutes. Let me see what I can do.

5 hours ago, RuusMarev said:

https://imgur.com/a/WcRsbJ8

Or check now. I hope i did this right.

1st picture includes an FFG ISD for scale the rest are listed by source:

Mel: Venator, Gladiator, Raiders, Arquitens, Gozanti and Vindicator.

Tsalt (Utar): Lancer, Carrack Dreadnought and original Imp carrier

2nd picture is the same group with my custom Allegiance inspired using the Revell snap kit as the base.

3rd pic has an FFG MC-80 for scale. The rest are listed by source.

Mel: Hammerheads, GR-75, Neb-B, blockade runners, Phoenix and Munificent

Tsalt (Utar): bulk Cruiser, and various versions of assault frigates. All in resin.

All custom assembly and paint work is done by me.

Edited by Thalomen

sssooooo pretty

1 minute ago, RuusMarev said:

sssooooo pretty

Thanks. Please check the earlier post for the breakdown of models. i was editing when you replied.

Nice. I'm working on my latest haul from Mel, Kandosii, Keldabe, and extra Munificent and Recusant (which are being reassembled into a kitbash Salvage ship.)

3 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

Nice. I'm working on my latest haul from Mel, Kandosii, Keldabe, and extra Munificent and Recusant (which are being reassembled into a kitbash Salvage ship.)

Very cool. Id love to see pictures of your fleet. currently, Im working on a larger SSd using the big Zvezda model as the base. Its slow going because I want to make the stern look more like Executor. Im also waiting for that to come out so I can use the Executor's stand and cards for it. Their model is nice, but i have to stay with scale. Im slowly working my way up in skill and confidence to build a 1/7000 Executor.

This is the fleet so far:

Still working on the new additions, the kitbash is progressing nicely. :)

46 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

This is the fleet so far:

Still working on the new additions, the kitbash is progressing nicely. :)

I’m jealous of your Recusant. I really want one of those. What material did you get it in?

I like how you painted in and the Munificent. I really want a nice Confederate fleet with all the Seperatist ships.

The painted Munificent is smooth fine detail plastic. If you can afford it, every single ship I've received so far are beautiful. The Recusent is the default White Natural Versatile Plastic, which is fine for the bigger capital ships, but going to smaller ships you start losing detail.

Tenitivly naming it "Rebirth" or "The Reborn"

(Just need to make a decision on the extra bridge)

fz5IXLA.jpg

5YevTCi.jpg

1u18O6u.jpg

I would probably leave the extra bridge off myself, but it also depends on the paint job you have in mind. Looks alright either way honestly and will be great to see what you decide on when done.

I like the extra bridge. Adds to the cobbled together look of the ship. Without it does look sleaker though. I think it depends on the role of the ship.

Okay so I take it the 1/7000 scale CR-90s are closer to scale with the ISD?

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

Okay so I take it the 1/7000 scale CR-90s are closer to scale with the ISD?

Yes. The FFG ISD is something like 1/6800. The 1/7000 CR-90s can fit in the hanger bay. A little snug, but they work.