Activation and Initiative question

By topacesteve, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Hello, say i have 5 deploy cards and my opponent has 6 deploy cards and Initiative.

Since he has 1 more than me, i let him burn this activation and after that we are 5-5 deploy cards.

Since he already had the Inititiative shouldn't he activate the 1st of his 5 remaning deployments before i activate my first?

Could you clarify what you mean by “burn this activation?” I assume you mean he’s doing something to exhaust a group, but by what means?

I'm assuming you meant the following scenario:

You have 5 ready deployment groups, your opponent have 6 ready deployment groups and have initiative

Since you have strictly less ready groups than your opponent, you may pass

If your question is "my opponent had initiative this round anyway, can I pass again?" then the answer is no, the passing rule's got nothing to do with whether a player has the initiative this round

The exact wording for the passing rule is "During a skirmish, if your opponent has more ready Deployment cards than you, you may choose not to activate a group and pass play to your opponent."

Because the opponent has initiative, the opponent has the first activation and must activate a group. The opponent cannot use the pass rule because has the same or more ready groups than you do.

Then it's your activation. You both have 5 ready groups now, so you cannot use the pass rule and thus must activate a group.

There would be no passing in this situation.

However, using the command card “Sit Tight” would allow you to wait until you had more ready deployment cards than your opponent, but it needs to be played at the start of a round.