Portable Wartable - asynchronous play webapp (campaign)

By Rhellik, in Imperial Assault Campaign

We (two people) have played many games of SWIA physical and digital with different expansions. We want to play with more people so we don't have to only play against apps or AIs.

Play by forum is something that came to our attention and we signed up in the wiki. But a) it takes a very long time to get into a new campaign (if you're not an imperial player) and b) the amount of work you have to put into your turn with the banners and dice and keeping track of cards and eveything just seems very tedious.

And at least one player must have Vassal and set up all the maps and pieces and keep score.

My idea was to create a website or webapp or whatnot that handles all the assets and maps and units in a persistent way (unlike e.g. Imperial directive) and makes taking turns and keeping track of things a lot easier, but probably not enforce any rules. (Much like Vassal does)

No, I don't want to charge anything and I don't want to undermine FFG or so, owning the specific boxes would still be a requirement.

People could register and set up different games and switch between them and get persistent game play all in one place.

I already started working on it and it is shaping up pretty nicely but it will still be at least a month, until it is playable in any way.

I'm going to finish it for us either way, but I wanted to gauge how interesting it would be for other players.

Edited by Rhellik

From my short experience using the app, I must say I love what you have done here! My friends and I are each living in a different city now, so playing a campaign all together in the same table has become a thing of the past. I was planning to keep on getting expansions, but with my group spread apart I found no reason to keep on accumulating boxes. However, with this app I can easily imagine making a new campaign and getting new boxes, even with everyone in a different place. So far I find the app very straight forward to use, very approachable UI, responsive... I will try to recruit a group and keep you updated with the progress. Thanks for the initiative!

I personally play board games for the sake of spending time with friends, joking and all that stuff. When it comes to SWIA, I always run an online campaign with my buddies around the world using Vassal. We have 2-3 hours every Monday night, with some flexibility in case someone can't join for whatever reason. This format works well and feeling is almost like playing together at same table. Realism level is pretty high with people crunching chips and burping after beer with unmuted mic... skirmish instead could work.

Edited by Trevize84
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, Rhellik said:

play by forum is something that came to our attention and we signed up in the wiki. But a) it takes a very long time to get into a new campaign (if you're not an imperial player) and b) the amount of work you have to put into your turn with the banners and dice and keeping track of cards and eveything just seems very tedious.

For what its worth, as a Rebel player all you need to keep is a Notepad with the most commonly used dice rolls, image links to banners and symbols.

When it comes time to doing my turn I'll copy paste in the relevant info, change Grid Numbers and attack targets and go.

Usually takes less than a few minutes to post my turn.

The major delays come from when players disagree about the course of action, or if someone is AFK for long periods of time. (same as F2F really)

Edited by Majushi

Everyone has their variant or platform they prefer. Of course this might not be the go-to online version of the game, but I think it's a needed addition for people who want to play online without having to have a notepad with all banners and codes and everything. That's still a thing people might shy away from.

There are also 2 small groups that play their rounds over a short period of time a day, so if the group is focused enough you could almost play live as well.

I think one strength of it is, that is IS playable on mobile. Depending on the size of your screen it might be more or less enjoyable but it still works either way.

For those who are interested: the webapp is now in beta and the core campaign is playable: https://www.portable-wartable.com/

@Rhellik I've seen the screenshots and I can see potential in your application if only it could support skirmish. You only need 3 maps (current rotation), command cards and deployment cards from the data model provided on GitHub by @lvisintini ( https://github.com/lvisintini/imperial-assault-data ). These things would be just enough for making your app the hub of all imperial assault skirmish players. You would get a ton of users playtesting the app every day. If you want to do that and you need help, consider me hired (I'm a SW engineer).

Edited by Trevize84
3 hours ago, Trevize84 said:

...from the data model provided on GitHub by @lvisintini ( https://github.com/lvisintini/imperial-assault-data ).

Word of warning: avoid this. It's incomplete, full of errors, hasn't been updated or corrected in a year, and the author didn't respond when I tried to contact him with fixes.

Tools -> Export Game Data... from any of the Kensei Imperial Assault Tools provides a complete and (as far as I know, let me know if you find otherwise) correct data set for Deployment and Command cards (other card types to follow at some point).

Edited by Bitterman

@ Trevize84 Eventually I might do that. But I've never player skirmish and wouldn't know what to watch out for.

It is meant for asynchronous play and I can imagine some command cards have interrupt effects too, which makes competitive play really difficult (without any errors) if it is not in fact live.

But yeah I'm guessing as soon as I go skirmish I'll have more players and feedback than I can handle. The app should be as stable as possible before that.

5 hours ago, Rhellik said:

@ Trevize84 Eventually I might do that. But I've never player skirmish and wouldn't know what to watch out for.

It is meant for asynchronous play and I can imagine some command cards have interrupt effects too, which makes competitive play really difficult (without any errors) if it is not in fact live.

But yeah I'm guessing as soon as I go skirmish I'll have more players and feedback than I can handle. The app should be as stable as possible before that.

The skirmish will always be live because every game is timed 65 mins. I believe the only thing you're missing are, deployment/command cards, figure tokens on the map and the 3 maps itself. It would be great if we could get to an early prototype. Have you ever thought of making your project public on GitHub or similar?

I haven't thought about making it public yet. Maybe when I implemented the rest of the expansions and the app is stable I could think about it.

I like having it in one place though, so there is one platform everyone goes to and find each other.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, Trevize84 said:

(I  'm     a SW  engine  e  r)  .    

A Star Wars engineer? That’s a thing? Why have I been wasting my time with soft...ware... oh...

I've now added the Twin Shadows mini campaign and content from Wave 1. Biv and Saska are now playable in either the core campaign or the mini campaign.

I will add more content after I flatten any new discovered bugs. :)

I've now added the Return to Hoth expansion box + content from waves 2-4. Verena, MHD and Loku are now playable in any of the three campaigns.

More content will follow.

This is good. People should come try it.

seriously. Can’t rate this high enough!

I have now added single player capabilities and a small demo for those who are interested in trying it out.

2 hours ago, Rhellik said:

I have now added single player capabilities and a small demo for those who are interested in trying it out.

sure, would love to give it a try

Very cool. I just want to second the call for Skirmish version. I think there would be a lot of players. If it could also have a way to use IACP (like you could select standard/official version or IACP version) that would be amazing. This could be a huge help in keeping Skirmish alive and even thriving!

Really excited to try out some of the campaigns too!

Wow.

Haha, my first thought was also Star Wars engineer...

I've now added the Bespin Gambit expansion box + content from wave 5. Davith and Murne are now playable in any of the four campaigns.

More content will follow.