Goblin problem: why travel?

By UnderSnail, in Heroes of Terrinoth

I think the easiest way to win the Goblin Problem is to stay at the first location until Splig is dead, and then explore the other locations. Why not stay at a location with a good effect as long as possible?

Because the Red effect will be applied each turn and there is a possibility for Splig to come back if you need to reshuffle the ennemy deck. Honestly you don't need to wait so much, this quest is pretty easy.

Edited by Cyiel

Cyiel, please explain to me how Splig might come back. The only thing I saw in the rules is that he spawns if he is in the Nemesis lair, which, I thought, happens only once. What rule have I missed? Thanks.

Sadly, I stumbled on another mission that can be handled without a thought of traveling. I played Battle in the Mistlands with the Scout and Mage heroes. At first, all I did was kill the immediate enemies. When Ankaur Mato came out (he arrives on the third turn), my two heroes attacked only him (the mage has ranged attack) for three turns until he was dead (and that's the goal of the mission). I did zero exploring, although exploring is usually excellent, and no travelling.

I hope to soon find a mission that makes traveling useful. Everyone, can you recommend such a mission? Thanks.

@UnderSnail , when defeated, Splig goes to the discard deck. When you reshuffle the discard deck, he might be respawned in the Nemesis Lair. There is no official statement yet (as far as I know), but this seems the way it should be managed (although not clearly stated anywhere).

In Battle in the Mistlands, how can you defeat Ankaur Mato without travelling since he spawns in the shadows only when you travel to the final location?

Edited by tibia

Tibia, I think your reading is as accurate as possible, given the very terse rules.

As far as tactics go, it still makes sense to me in Goblin Problem and Battle in the Mistlands to kill the nemesis as fast as possible.

I looked at a lot of the other quests. Some require exploring to the end, AND they have longer peril tracks, so that it will make sense to explore and even travel before facing the nemesis. i think I just happened to try the two least interesting quests first.

I will now clearly mention the ambiguity that Tibia refers to (in my opinion):

1) When it is killed, the Nemesys apparently goes to the discard pile.

(2) The rules say that the Nemesis is NOT shuffled into the enemy deck. Does this statement refer to the original setup, or does it refer to every shuffle of the deck?

If this statement refers to every shuffle of the enemy deck, then the Nemesys is placed in the lair when the deck is reshuffled. If this statement does NOT refer to the reshuffle, then either the Nemesis is permanently discarded, or else it is shuffled into the reshuffled enemy deck, and (prossibly) respawns normally.

Cyiel and Tibia, thanks for your help!

@UnderSnail , still I don't understand how can you kill Ankaur Mato without travelling: he just appears when you travelled to the final location. Can you explain it to me?

About the rules, they do not cover what happens when a Nemesis is killed. Unofficially (if I understood correctly), it seems:

- he goes in the monster discard pile

- he is reshuffled with the other monsters for a new deck, if needed. So (2) is just for the initial setup

- if you get from the deck he goes to the Nemesis Lair as in the setup . He is now ready to be respawned and it is not dead (so you must defeat him again)

Let's hope there will be an Official FAQ from FFG before the end of the world 🙂

Tibia, It's very simple to kill Ankaur Mato without traveling to the final location. I failed to read the requirement that he spawns at the final location, and improperly brought Mato out too early. Obviously this quest is more interesting than I thought, and I must replay it. Excellent.

Thanks!