New Deathwatch Designer Diary: Chapters of the Deathwatch, Part 5

By FFG Ross Watson, in Deathwatch

Greetings, Deathwatch fans!

This week, I am pleased to present the fifth Space Marine Chapter of the Deathwatch core rulebook: The Blood Angels . Enjoy!

Well, there we have it. Blood Angels a go-go. Now to wait for the final chapter and see if I'm correct in it being Hammers of Retribution . That would be nice.

-=Brother Praetus=-

All right. Very excited. Although there was the art of the BA on the front page, I was stil a bit worried that my faves were taking so long to be announced. You know, nervous jitters and the like. Here's hoping the Thirst and the Rage add for some cool mechanics.

Brother Praetus said:

Well, there we have it. Blood Angels a go-go. Now to wait for the final chapter and see if I'm correct in it being Hammers of Retribution . That would be nice.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Aye, I'd love to see them given some fluff, given they are FFG's personalised chapter.

And so glad to see the Blood Angels, will be fun to play one of them!

Actually, the Hammers of Retribution are my chapter.

But I promise to make all my notes and some of the paint jobs of my troops gui%C3%B1o.gif public after Deathwatch is released.

TS Luikart said:

But I promise to make all my notes and some of the paint jobs of my troops gui%C3%B1o.gif public after Deathwatch is released.

Please do happy.gif .

So Blood Angels fulfill the circle of in-print 40K Codex Chapters as suspected. Now we can go on and have the final frenzied speculation about the "Mystery Chapter".

So what have we learned so far? Each Chapter has its own 1) table for advances, 2) special abilities and 3) "Demeanour". The first two are pretty self-explanatory but what is the last one supposed to mean? Some sort of in-game mechanic like in World of Darkness?

Aajav-Khan said:

TS Luikart said:

Please do happy.gif .

So Blood Angels fulfill the circle of in-print 40K Codex Chapters as suspected. Now we can go on and have the final frenzied speculation about the "Mystery Chapter".

So what have we learned so far? Each Chapter has its own 1) table for advances, 2) special abilities and 3) "Demeanour". The first two are pretty self-explanatory but what is the last one supposed to mean? Some sort of in-game mechanic like in World of Darkness?

The demeanour does interest me too. That and the Special abilities and traits section. I'm guessing that the traits section will be a mechanic think like in the other systems.

I'm thinking the demeanours will be a less mechanic thing and more like a guide for rping them.

For a clue as to the mechanical nature of Demeanors, one might speculate they're related to some of the mechanics in WFRP3. You know, kissing cousins, at least.

In any event, it's the most intriguing thing I've seen so far from the previews.

Actually, the writing and develpment for Purge the Unclean was done by Black Libraries. The Hammers of Retribution are as GW as any other chapter.

Cynical Cat said:

Actually, the writing and develpment for Purge the Unclean was done by Black Libraries. The Hammers of Retribution are as GW as any other chapter.

Cynical,

Legally speaking quite possible, but without knowing any specifics about the contract under which T.S. Luikart worked on PtU , that cannot be said with a 100% degree of certainty. They may have let him maintain his intellectual property pending it being utilized in further materials. Who knows? For that matter, who knows if T.S. is male or female? I default to male due to the propensity of male authors in the role-playing community, but I could be wrong... Any way, a little rambling now, so I think I might be done.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Huzzah! Blood Angels abound!

Blood Angels? What a surprise. bostezo.gif

The only thing that will really surprise me is the last chapter. Everything else was predictable.

Okay 5 for 5 as far as the space marine codexes are covered...

Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Black Templars...and chapter no.6

Perhaps once the designers have posted the identity of the sixth chapter can then focus on other aspects of DW to tease the punters/consumers with. I would like to perhaps see a map of the Jericho Reach, more revlatory discussions regarding new aspects of DW such as the concept of Renown or perhaps more insight into the actions of the DW within Jericho Reach, perhaps some personalities in the great crusade within the Jericho Reach, among other posssible aspects before the introductory adventure rolls out prior to the release of the book...

Interesting facets of the setting and the mechanics, which if are on par with DH/RT then should indicate that DW will be of very much the same standards as its predecessor.

Previously I would like to see the Iron Hands inclusion, or possibly the Hammers of Retribution from PtU (interesting to read the accompanying fluff on the chapter), but at this point I would just like it to be done and dusted because the process has dragged on a little long. At present any of the other chapters which don't have a codex for WH40K (bar the Legion of the Damned) are equally possible for inclusion...

Coming in no.6, your time is up!

Lord Richter Castus said:

All right. Very excited. Although there was the art of the BA on the front page, I was stil a bit worried that my faves were taking so long to be announced. You know, nervous jitters and the like. Here's hoping the Thirst and the Rage add for some cool mechanics.

You go all thirsty and ragey on me brother and I WILL put you down like a rabid dog.

This is going to be great. There is enough in just these five chapters to take any other chapter and make rules for them. I cant wait.

Brother Praetus said:

Cynical Cat said:

Cynical,

Legally speaking quite possible, but without knowing any specifics about the contract under which T.S. Luikart worked on PtU , that cannot be said with a 100% degree of certainty. They may have let him maintain his intellectual property pending it being utilized in further materials. Who knows? For that matter, who knows if T.S. is male or female? I default to male due to the propensity of male authors in the role-playing community, but I could be wrong... Any way, a little rambling now, so I think I might be done.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Highly unlikely, as their standard contracts make clear that any of the material you write for them becomes their IP.

You know this is my own shot in the dark and I know it'll never happen.....but i do enjoy sparking a debate. What about.... The Damned ??

the mystery chapter that always seems to show up when needed to help turn the tide and save the day

RedSkull said:

You know this is my own shot in the dark and I know it'll never happen.....but i do enjoy sparking a debate. What about.... The Damned ??

the mystery chapter that always seems to show up when needed to help turn the tide and save the day

While I really love the the Damned for the amount of bad-assery they represent, I really doubt that they will be included. Maybe in a supplement down the road, but even then I think they will be NPCs only..

I'm somewhat surprised the Crimson Fists aren't in there, considering that fluff wise, they're supposed to be the most numerous chapter to give members to the Deathwatch.

Tarkand said:

I'm somewhat surprised the Crimson Fists aren't in there, considering that fluff wise, they're supposed to be the most numerous chapter to give members to the Deathwatch.

If the timeframe is the same as DH, then they would be presently severely undermanned so it actually makes sense.

Rictus said:

Okay 5 for 5 as far as the space marine codexes are covered...

Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Black Templars...and chapter no.6

Perhaps once the designers have posted the identity of the sixth chapter can then focus on other aspects of DW to tease the punters/consumers with. I would like to perhaps see a map of the Jericho Reach, more revlatory discussions regarding new aspects of DW such as the concept of Renown or perhaps more insight into the actions of the DW within Jericho Reach, perhaps some personalities in the great crusade within the Jericho Reach, among other posssible aspects before the introductory adventure rolls out prior to the release of the book...

Interesting facets of the setting and the mechanics, which if are on par with DH/RT then should indicate that DW will be of very much the same standards as its predecessor.

Previously I would like to see the Iron Hands inclusion, or possibly the Hammers of Retribution from PtU (interesting to read the accompanying fluff on the chapter), but at this point I would just like it to be done and dusted because the process has dragged on a little long. At present any of the other chapters which don't have a codex for WH40K (bar the Legion of the Damned) are equally possible for inclusion...

Coming in no.6, your time is up!

I think that is very probably that Iron Hands, (or any sucesor chapter), will be the 6th chapter seen the fact that FFG has included always some mechanium background character or career, (even when we have DW Techmarine). The other option is the FFG own chapter: The Hammers of Retribution.

Anyway, when six chapters are few, with few changes we will have a world of chapters, (thanks to the sucesors).

I can't wait for this game! happy.gif