Network Encounter Cards

By drainsmith, in Shadow of the Beanstalk

If you didn't fully explore my Dispensary of Everything then you probably missed my Network Encounter cards.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zi9wq9eoffn47pk/AABbhbLF19sJW1WxJtRu2G8Ta?dl=0&lst=

These are card images for ice, ice breakers, and a good handful of possible sub-systems. You can print them yourself, but they are really intended to be use with a print-on-demand service. The included ReadMe.txt contains more information on printing.

If you have additional ideas on sub-systems, please let me know.

These are amazing, thanks for doing them!

On 2/17/2019 at 9:51 AM, drainsmith said:

If you didn't fully explore my Dispensary of Everything then you probably missed my Network Encounter cards.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zi9wq9eoffn47pk/AABbhbLF19sJW1WxJtRu2G8Ta?dl=0&lst=

These are card images for ice, ice breakers, and a good handful of possible sub-systems. You can print them yourself, but they are really intended to be use with a print-on-demand service. The included ReadMe.txt contains more information on printing.

I love these. Perhaps a card that lists incidentals, maneuvers, and actions would be a nice addition.

1 hour ago, TheSapient said:

I love these. Perhaps a card that lists incidentals, maneuvers, and actions would be a nice addition.

I have that as part of my Network Encounter Summary doc. But having a little version of that would be cool. Good idea.

2 hours ago, drainsmith said:

Network Encounter Summary doc

Is this available? I didn't see it in the dropbox (which is so full of amazing stuff I feel deeply indebted already).

Oh dang. How in the world did I mess that up? Oh well. You can find it now in the Other Sheets folder name "Android Encounter Summaries.pdf". It has the Network summary as well as a SotB themed version of the Combat summary.

As usual, amazing work DrainSmith.

Quick Question; It looks like the ReadMe doc, does not specify what size card you recommend, if printing from a service. Have you ordered these yourself yet? What size did you design them to be printed at?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on that. And, of course, thanks in general for all the fantastic work you've put into the myriad resources you've put together. I intend to give Kinko's a bit of business in the next few weeks (not for cards, but for the other goodies you've made available). My Players will be stoked.

8 hours ago, QorDaq said:

Quick Question; It looks like the ReadMe doc, does not specify what size card you recommend, if printing from a service. Have you ordered these yourself yet? What size did you design them to be printed at?

Oh, sorry. The Poker size.

Here they are printed.

upJABhu.jpg

51 minutes ago, drainsmith said:

Oh, sorry. The Poker size.

Here they are printed.

upJABhu.jpg

Beautiful!

Much obliged for the info.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:51 AM, drainsmith said:

Don't mind if I do!

On top of my head:

Airlock

• Cycle Airlock
  • Falsify logs
  • Disable doors
  • Vent Airlock (Expose neighboring areas to vacuum)

Security

• Disable sensors (Lasers, pressure, thermal, sound)
  • Trigger alarm, internal security
  • Trigger alarm, central (Summon NAPD or Prisec to area)
  • Silence alarm

Fire Detection and Suppression

• Trigger false alarm (Will cause firefighters to respond)
  • Activate Sprinklers in area (Reduced visibility in area? Concealment)
  • Release fire suppression Foam in area (Area becomes difficult terrain)

Safe or Vault

• Lock/Unlock safe

P.A. System / Intercom

• Blast loud tone (Status effect: Disoriented)
  • Make announcement

Feel free to flesh out or refine.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, Aazlain said:

On top of my head:

Nice ideas! I'd like to expand upon them and toss some ideas into the ring:

• Vehicle systems
    • life support
      • cycle on/off
      • adjust temperature
      • adjust air mixture
    • propulsion
      • go
      • stop
    • defenses
      • disable
      • rotate/bolster
      • falsify activation of ECM
    • offenses
      • disable
      • misfire
      • acquire new target
    • maneuvering controls
      • steer
    • communications
      • view comm logs
      • modify comm logs
      • send message
  • Building systems
    • air handlers
      • temperature contol
    • backup power
      • activate to overload
      • cut failsafe monitors
    • main power
      • cut/manipulate grid power
    • fire suppression
      • activate for fun
      • deactivate for even more fun
    • communications
      • view comm logs
      • falsify comm logs
      • send comms

I'm just spitballin' here. Hopefully these are interesting?

I love these cards, and this is not meant to be critical of their development.

Do you think in the interest of the KISS method of placement and development that creating cards for "Actions/software" vs./and the IC is the primary goal; with cards that list the systems that the IC is meant to protect created as general categories would be an excellent way to proceed? The suggestions that have been posted are fantastic and beautiful ideas. Many of them could be grouped under a single card say: Control Systems, Building Systems, Communication systems and so on. It is making the sub-categories listed on such a card the ones that can be grouped as such.

Giving the cards for the protected systems more general utility and not making them overly specific would keep a system layout on the table reasonably small. After all, once past the IC that protects a Hopper's control systems, you don't have to hack again to switch control to a different subsystem, i.e., going from the lift controls to unlocking the doors. It could allow for the subsystems to act more as prompts and not a direct list of the action that could be taken against/with those subsystems.

For example (using the previous replies)

Building Systems

• Utilities
  • Backup Utilities
  • Environmental controls
  • Communications (intranet)
  • Communication (external)
  • Connections (hubs/routers/terminals)
  • Security (cameras, sensors, door locks)
  • Weapons systems

Vehicle systems

• life support
  • disable, misfire, acquire new target)
  • Fuel Systems (Speed/throttle)
  • Environmental controls (windows/doors/AC/heater)
  • Handling (Steering/breaking)
  • Weapon Systems

By creating just the general category of systems and the subsystems found within them, there is no need to list the specific "actions" that they can be used for when control is seized. They then act more like a creative prompt.

Though potentially, some of the subsystems should be broken out for their own cards. Particularly if placed behind another layer of IC, Security is one of them.

23 minutes ago, Spindle's Shadow said:

I love these cards, and this is not meant to be critical of their development.

Same! I think they are awesome and I hope to expand upon the concept!

23 minutes ago, Spindle's Shadow said:

Many of them could be grouped under a single card say:

Yeah, I was thinking that myself, when I posted the expanded list; one of the common problems we had with netrunning in cp2020 is that it was a separate game for the netrunner(s) and the rest of the team sat around idly or took a smoke break - it was difficult to coordinate both at the same time. So, too many subsystems does lend itself to that problem. Additionally, the way defeating ice works, too many subsystems rule out many solo runs. It wouldn't render it impossible, but it could be Less Fun™.

1 hour ago, themensch said:

Same! I think they are awesome and I hope to expand upon the concept!

Yeah, I was thinking that myself, when I posted the expanded list; one of the common problems we had with netrunning in cp2020 is that it was a separate game for the netrunner(s) and the rest of the team sat around idly or took a smoke break - it was difficult to coordinate both at the same time. So, too many subsystems does lend itself to that problem. Additionally, the way defeating ice works, too many subsystems rule out many solo runs. It wouldn't render it impossible, but it could be Less Fun™.

Irrespective of the cards (which I really really like), systems shouldn't have lots of sub-systems to make solo runs difficult. They should have lots of sub-systems so that the PC's have lot of options. A second runner might be in the system to put the cam-droids into charge mode instead of being outside the system waiting for the drones at a choke-point. They might by hacking into the arcology valet system instead of coercing the concierge to get the team a ride.

Never build a system that needs to be hacked entirely. Each sub-system should be a potential alternative to dealing with a situation and an invitation to be creative.

1 hour ago, TheSapient said:

Never build a system that needs to be hacked entirely. Each sub-system should be a potential alternative to dealing with a situation and an invitation to be creative. 

YUP! I also came from CyberPunk 2020 and Shadowrun. In part that is the simplicity of making runs in SotB is already there with it just being NDS, just hoping that it can be kept that way even when the options for execution are expanded.

Edited by Spindle's Shadow
4 hours ago, TheSapient said:

Aye, that was partly my point - not only does this encourage the rest of the party's skills (the face might be able to get a janitor to plug in an uplink inside much more easily than the runner could break the barrier ice) but it also keeps the run from being its own mini-game. In fact I went on a monologue for this very point on the discord chat. Every system is hackable if you are clever and persistent enough. If you can't hack the ice, hack the coke machine behind the ice. Hack the bored cleaning staff. If you can't hack the system, hack the system that runs the system. Brute force is a script kiddy tactic and if you get caught doing that, you deserve barbequeued meninges.