More Books?

By WillisRBC, in Realms of Terrinoth

Do we know if the sourcebooks for Genesys, like Terrinoth, are going to be one shot things or do we think they will put out more sourcebooks like they did for the Star Wars lines?

I suspect they will be one shot, at least until they have covered all the separate game lines/genres from their IP. Maybe once they've covered those they may revisit with additional lore for lines like RoT and SotB and the other source books they create, as long as they are selling well enough.

All speculation though, no one really knows what FFG is thinking.

I don't expect any more content for Runbound until after they've released a setting book for each of the example settings in the core rulebook (possibly excluding modern).

Edited by Cantriped

I do wish that Genesis followed the GURPS and HERO template for universal games - keep the source books setting generic. Throw out the back half of the book where they try and paint the picture of a complete world (and fall short) and try and include everything you need for a generic fantasy/cyberpunk game (and fall short).

L5R gets some adventures spent. I wished there would be adventures for Terrinoth and Android as well.

We started a Realms of Terrinoth game today, and the more I look at the book, the more areas I see where I feel teased with incomplete information. I desperately feel the need for some additional sourcebooks to expand on portions that were only briefly discussed. Especially the lore of the world. It is driving me crazy that they include a great map, with many locations having descriptions. And many more locations that are named, but with no description at all. And the magic needs expanding. Eleven magic is described as being different, and high elves get Empyrean magic by getting Divine as a class skill. But the fluff describes spells working dramatically differently, but in the rules you get identical effects at identical difficulties. Same for Ynfearnal magic. Ugh. May have to generate a fan supplement for some of this.

I feel the same way too, and in the absence of official books have taken to just making things up for my campaign.

When I need a city map, for example, I just read the description of the city from the book, then browse Drivethrurpg for something which sort of fits the description, and then just plonk it down and say 'this is it'.

I likewise use modules from Drivethrurpg and just plonk them wherever I need there to be an adventure. PCs going into Blackwing Swamp? Search for modules set in a swamp, modify as needed, and I am set.

Granted my 'facts' may later on turn out to be wrong by future supplements, but waiting for all the information to be available before we start is not really an option. And since there is currently no further official information, players won't know better; and most of the time they won't really care as long as what you make up or use sound logical and inspiring to them.

Edited by arjunstc

Terrinoth is great as sourcebook for the mechanical part. But as a world it isn't very interesting. Too classical with too much fantasy tropes and cliches written without any twists. It'd have been a less boring if the authors ad dropped the more than overused fight between light / good and darkness / evil.

13 hours ago, WolfRider said:

Terrinoth is great as sourcebook for the mechanical part. But as a world it isn't very interesting. Too classical with too much fantasy tropes and cliches written without any twists. It'd have been a less boring if the authors ad dropped the more than overused fight between light / good and darkness / evil.

Consider it a canvas with only a rough work on it and no more books forthcoming to add details. The GM and players need to do the rest. For some this is disappointing, for others it is refreshing. For most, it'll be somewhere in the middle and the tropes that are so often repeated are likely to fall flat unless effort is taken to make something with them.

If you want a different kind of magic, then go with descriptions.
Mage one: "As you focus, your mind reaches out and can almost touch and even taste the cosmos. Your will slips out and spiders itself through it. You then galvanize that grasp and when you close your fist, your mind FORCES the very world itself to do as you command. Fire rips forth from your hand and flies forth to burn your enemies"
Mage two: "Your words blend into the song of the very fabric that holds all of reality within it. As your lips utter the words that you have memorized...words that can beckon and compel the spirits...one of them comes to you. It whispers to you 'Command me' and so you do. Your eyes open and you gesture to the foes rushing to you. The spirit knows what you want. It has become you. It is your instrument. It flies forth. Before it strikes, it is briefly visible as a phoenix. That is when the flames engulf your enemy."

Two very different interpretations but both of them the same end result: a fireball.

Genesys has always been just a framework for you to do whatever you want. If you need an example, look to the many many settings here. Some people have done Ghostbusters. Some have done Cthuluhuesque settins. Me? I am doing a Power Rangers game.

We all use the same basic framework but we all interpret it to do different things. You can use the magic system to simulate things like psychic powers. Just because it is called Magic does not mean it has to be. Experiment. That is what this game is all about.

On 3/17/2019 at 12:06 AM, Edgookin said:

We started a Realms of Terrinoth game today, and the more I look at the book, the more areas I see where I feel teased with incomplete information. I desperately feel the need for some additional sourcebooks to expand on portions that were only briefly discussed. Especially the lore of the world. It is driving me crazy that they include a great map, with many locations having descriptions. And many more locations that are named, but with no description at all. And the magic needs expanding. Eleven magic is described as being different, and high elves get Empyrean magic by getting Divine as a class skill. But the fluff describes spells working dramatically differently, but in the rules you get identical effects at identical difficulties. Same for Ynfearnal magic. Ugh. May have to generate a fan supplement for some of this.

Yep. There really isn't a lot to go on there. Lucky for me, I'm just using the world setting, and using D&D for the mechanics, but still, the lack of Gods info, for example, is really wanting. I had to really fill in the gaps a lot (with Pathfinder ones)...but I did include those mentioned in the RoT book. Since online images of priests with a fireball symbol are nonexistent, I went with Pelor's symbol for Kellos, for example.

My campaign site: https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523