Tales from the Madlands: KariThorn

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Here's a game I've been meaning to report for a while now.

This game is against @picotheguyyo , our Daqan player. I bring my usual elves, with a few new changes to my list from last time.

This battle is unique in that it is my first (long awaited) matchup against a KariThorn. Never seen one before.

My list

'Vangaurd'

200/200
Ventala Skirmishers [30] 2x2
Maegan Cyndewin [10]
Tempered Steel [3]
Metered March [2]
Hedge Shroud [2]
Total Unit Cost: 47

Deepwood Archers [42] 3x2
Verdant Sorceress [3]
Tempered Steel [3]
Frontline Aymhelin Scion [6]
Close Quarters Targeting [3]
Total Unit Cost: 57

Prince Faolan [36] 1x1
The Spirit Sword [6]
Etharyon of the Ailatar [5]
Total Unit Cost: 47

Leonx Riders [18] 2x1
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 22

Aymhelin Scions [25] 2x1
Bolo Nets [2]
Total Unit Cost: 27

Picotheguyyos list

'KariThorn Hybrid'

199/200
Oathsworn Cavalry [46] 2x3
Forged In Battle [4]
Tempered Steel [3]
Raven Tabards [2]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 60

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Wraith Step [1]
Total Unit Cost: 39

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Metered March [2]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 39

Objective and Deployment:

Battle of Champions is a fun one, makes for straightforward brawling with a twist. Overextended pairs nicely with it.

iLK96DO.jpg

Setup:

Terrain got me squeezed pretty hard on deployment. The fissure became problematic to get clear of in 1 turn, even with EoA on Faolan.

TWRoBVJ.jpg

The Daqan prepare for a cav flank under a hail of arrows.

HNig84m.jpg

Round 1:

The Daqan hold back while the Oathsworn move into position. Hawthorn and the Golem move forward to protect the Deepwood line.

ZJ6NiNk.jpg

Faolan does half the work of unpacking, moving the Ventala into terrain so they can shoot later.

The Scions swing around to intercept the Oathsworn. The Deepwoods double shift to support the Ventala.

P30rOGA.jpg

The Leonx do not clear the Fissure, and land in a bad spot for the next round.

The ventala score 1 wound on the golem.

Round 2:

Red runes are cast, and the the Golem charges. He rolls well enough, but the Ventala hedge shroud the damage to 1 wound.

The Ventala hit the golem back, destroying him.

CGVGmZP.jpg

The Deepwoods shift from Faolan triggering them with EoA but they find no target to shoot.

Hawthorne moves in aggressively to threaten the Ventala.

dVGLUxL.jpg

The Leonx make an unsuccessful march and are decimated by the Daqan Deepwoods.

Round 3:

Hawthorn charges the Ventala, he takes a full tray off the unit.

The Ventala Shift/shoot, leaving the terrain and putting a wound on Hawthorn.

AX6ytEu.jpg

Faolan tries to correct the Deepwoods poor placement, but continues to not get them a shot.

YPgnGkp.jpg

The Oathsworn stare down the scions from across the board.

Kari cautiously leads the Deepwood line forward.

Round 4:

Hawthorne dials in a melee, expecting charging cows, they wait for an i8 ranged attack instead, getting a wound on Hawthorne.

YvWML8H.jpg

The scions drop a wound on Kari.

The Oathsworn quick March into the scions, accepting the panic and immobillize to pin the scions in place.

Faolan closes on the terrain while pushing the deepwoods into a better position.

44OYqdD.jpg

The deepwood line is finally in range!

Round 5:

Faolan shifts himself and shifts the Ventala back, letting Hawthorne charge empty terrain.

flez48L.jpg

The Ventala score another wound on Hawthorne.

The scions get splintered by a heavy Oathsworn attack. The Oathsworn then lose 6 figures from the deepwoods attack.

I6Ll47d.jpg

Faolan takes a wound from Kari.

Round 6:

Faolan charges Hawthorne, kills him and avoids Magarth damage. Then, the Oathsworn charge and kill Faolan.

uh3nn70.jpg

My Deepwoods and Ventala plink another tray off the Oathsworn.

mgxuPeS.jpg

Kari and the Deepwood line keep closing.

Round 7:

The Oathsworn jump into the terrain.

The Oathsworn fall to my Ventala

zetZANa.jpg

The Daqan deepwoods drop a tray off the Ventala.

9OTPy1N.jpg

Kari marches into the terrain.

Round 8:

Kari and the Deepwoods drop the Ventala.

bNeyVJm.jpg

The Deepwoods score 2 wounds, but dont have tempered steel refreshed for the 4th.

Daqan wins!

Afterthoughts:

Whereas Church tends to play aggressively, usually breaking a weak flank and rolling my army, Picotheguyyo plays in a very defensive manner. It suits Daqan very well.

He kept his forces in good positions most of the game, letting me play into worse positions by playing more aggressively.

Biggest issue I had was getting my deepwoods into position (though he did too).

Hawthorne running the Might of Magarth build is pretty great. His army buff and inspiration casting basically pay for themselves by round 2, so then sending him off to be a deadly nuisance worked great. He is a pain to kill, and if you do it via melee, he'll give back more than he takes.

I want to see more Kari/Latari builds, they add some new elements I have not gotten to look into in the game yet.

I am enjoying the Deepwood hammer formations again. Faolan pushing them with EoA is very helpful, as getting stuck in melee isn't so easy anymore.

The Deepwood KariThorn line is impressive. I'll enjoy seeing this more often, and eventually maybe some Darnati.

Thanks for reading!

I know people point at Careful approach as a difficult deployment to get right. I actually find Overextended challenging and Careful Approach simple. The inevitable terrain piece(s) near center of the map really jams things up and normally makes a coordinated army-wide blitz impossible. Less aggressive maneuvers seem the right call. Especially with forged in battle.

I think a 45 degree deployment on the oathsworn would have worked better. They have the speed to make up any lost distance and then have an easier time with turn radius

How did the deepwoods kill 6 oathsworn? That’s 12 damage minimum and it seems like the deepwoods cap at 9.

I feel like players aren’t treating ventala around terrain like they treat Uthuk around terrain and it’s hurting them.

As good as bolo nets look to me in paper they still don’t seem to be working for you

13 hours ago, Church14 said:

How did the deepwoods kill 6 oathsworn? That’s 12 damage minimum  and it  seems like the  deepwoods cap at 9.

I waited too long on posting this one, so some of it is a bit fuzzy in my memory. Possible that the Ventala shot them, or the scions swung before dying.

Late to reply to this: But I liked that KariThorn list. I would, however, drop Metered March on the Deepwoods -2 and Tempered on the Oathsworn -3 to give them Wind Rune (+6) and run it at 200 points. Wind Rune for Oathsworn is a must. Then you don't have to worry about the 45-degree deployment as much. You can move forward, shift sideways and 90-degree turn, bam!

7 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

Late to reply to this: But I liked that KariThorn list. I would, however, drop Metered March on the Deepwoods -2 and Tempered on the Oathsworn -3 to give them Wind Rune (+6) and run it at 200 points. Wind Rune for Oathsworn is a must. Then you don't have to worry about the 45-degree deployment as much. You can move forward, shift sideways and 90-degree turn, bam!

Our local Daqan guy isn’t so hot on the Oathsworn at all. He just seems to get boned by the dial. Wind Rune looks like it would help, but even then it is stuck to being tacked on after a march. No method to attack and wind rune.

on the other hand, he’s having fun with the damage oathsworn can do when Forged in battle starts to kick in.

1 hour ago, Church14 said:

on the     other hand, he’s having fun with the damage oathsworn  can do when Forged in battle starts to kick in  .

It kicks in pretty often too!

On 3/12/2019 at 11:06 PM, Church14 said:

Our local Daqan guy isn’t so hot on the Oathsworn at all. He just seems to get boned by the dial. Wind Rune looks like it would help, but even then it is stuck to being tacked on after a march. No method to attack and wind rune.

on the other hand, he’s having fun with the damage oathsworn can do when Forged in battle starts to kick in.

Yeah the Death Knight dial is so much better than the Oathsworn one. At least Forged in Battle can really even that out, as the 3x2 forged is a hard hitter. I managed to insta-gib Marcas's LordV at worlds with it. Of course, then he stole my artifacts in turn 8 and humiliated me :)