By sehlura, in Your Settings

For some reason, I have no claimed a space on these forums for my creation! It is with great satisfaction that I present to this forum version 1.4 of Avatar: The Second Age . You may download the latest version of the Core Rulebook, Character Sheets, and changelog on Dropbox and MEGA .

While version 1.3 brought about considerable changes to both Character Creation and The Bending Arts , this version adds a boatload of new and familiar content including:

• Signature Techniques : A sort of synthesis of Signature Abilities and Heroic Abilities, these special techniques are unique in that they are designed entirely by the player for their character;
  • Skill Challenges : An attempt to capture a dramatic, non-combat action sequence and boil it down into a number of sequential skill checks;
  • Adventuring With the Avatar : This section provides a brief overview of who and what the Avatar is in the series, and how to use the game’s existing mechanics to incorporate the Avatar as a Player Character or NPC.
  • Several new bending forms have be introduced, as well as gameplay balance to existing forms
  • New qualities, items, and of course, Optional Encounters!

What is Avatar: The Second Age?

Have you ever wanted to traipse the outer ring of Ba Sing Se? Looking for your chance to ride on your own, personal sky bison? Want to go toe-to-toe with chi blocking Equalist grunts? If you’re looking for a tabletop roleplaying experience which takes place in the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra then you’ve come to the right place!

Avatar: The Second Age is a free conversion for the Fantasy Flight Games tabletop roleplaying game Genesys. Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) created a set of wonderful rules and a Narrative Dice System (NDS) that allow Game Masters and players to create and live out dramatic and imaginative stories in the Star Wars universe; with Genesys , they have opened their rules up to all possibilities — Avatar: The Second Age adapts that system to the setting of the universe from Nickelodeon’s Avatar series, complete with bending, significant combat changes, new classes, and several other new features.

Development

I've been working on The Second Age since September 2016, so a lot of the phrasing and crunch in the rulebook may still refer to syntax from the Star Wars books. In the two years since its inception, much of this has been replaced with Avatar flavor, and the mechanics attuned to Genesys streamlining.

Rather than just a supplement, this book includes chapters on all the core mechanics. The idea was to create not just a conversion, but an entire experience that players and GMs new to both the system and the setting could learn how to play, and use to immerse themselves in the universe.

Book Setting [Spoilers Ahead]

At the end of the Hundred Year War, Fire Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang transformed the Fire Nation colonies, along with land ceded by the Earth Kingdom, into a fifth independent realm: the United Republic of Nations. It's capital, Republic City, is a sprawling metropolis brimming with peoples from all walks of life. In 171 AG (After Genocide), the Harmonic Convergence occurred, and Avatar Korra reopened the gateway between the Spirit World and the material world. However, the Avatar paid the ultimate price: she was severed from her past lives and can no longer rely on their learned wisdom. With the reintroduction of the spirits, and the conflict between them and humanity, Harmonic Convergence also rekindled airbending abilities among countless random individuals throughout the world, bringing the Air Nomads back from the brink of extinction.

Although I authored the book in the context of Korra-specific events, all of the actual content and mechanics can be applied to any timeline you want. In fact, a timeline is included in Chapter X: The Avatar Universe . One fan is already creating an ' Ancient Avatar ' supplement for The Second Age which takes place a long time ago, long before the Hundred Year War, long before the feats of Chin the Conqueror. Find us in the official Discord server and he'll happily tell you all about it!

SPOILER ALERT : The [unfinished] three-part adventure included with the rulebook takes place between Seasons 3 and 4 of The Legend of Korra . The book also periodically refers to events that happened in both series.

I'll try to stay active in this thread, but my substantive development updates will be posted to the blog: https://avatar-the-second-age.tumblr.com/

You can also hang out with Avatar fans on our official Discord

Happy rolling, hot-men!

Hey everyone! Just a bump to say the latest edition (1.6) is out :)

On 12/3/2019 at 5:51 PM, sehlura said:

Hey everyone! Just a bump to say the latest edition (1.6) is out :)

Wow, looks great. Amazing job!

Just wanted to drop a line and say that version 1.7 is out and contains a lot of changes from this OP. You can find the "in dev" version (currently 1.7) of the rulebook at the dropbox link above!

Just love it! Thanks!

Been watching Legend of Kora and just jumped on to see if anyone had done this. Thanks for posting it

@sehlura I'm preparing to run this for my group soon and wanted to know how you handled Minion/Rival benders. Since neither can use strain, any bending they do seems like will just take them out that much faster.

I'm looking at all the soldier/warrior benders that would normally be minions but was wondering how they performed for you during your games when marking off wounds for each form.

That's a great question!

So for Rival benders, I break the rules of Genesys and often give them a small Strain Threshold (usually 4-6) specifically to act as a limit on the bending they'll do.

I generally don't include a group of Minion benders for the very reason that any bending they do would simply hurt them. When minions have done any bending in my campaign(s) so far, I've simply broken the rules [again] and ignored the strain cost. However, for this reason I have never had minion benders do anything more complicated than a Basic form.

Thus, I generally tend to avoid NPC benders who are not at least Rival-level, unless they're newbie benders or specifically meant to look cool but be defeated really quickly (because they're minions). As a Rival, you can suffer strain as wounds (per the rules) and just bump up that Rival's WT a few more points. Or you can note (mentally or literally) that the Rival has the 'Good Form' improvement which reduces the amount of strain they suffer when using that Form.

What do you think? Does this address your concerns for preparation? Does it raise new ones?

The Rivals bending only Strain Threshold will work perfect and I agree with minion groups although I may opt to give them a special ability which is the most basic launch element blast which is what we mainly see in the shows with the troops powering the tank blasts or ship attacks.

thank you

Also, I've taken the time to make your NPC Sheets fillable. In case anyone will find this useful, here is the link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M31MdyPdOM90M5Vhm09gT2hx8V1qEb2P/view?usp=sharing