Should I wait?

By RoBro, in DungeonQuest

I was thinking about buying descent but then I saw this. Should I wait for this to come out, or descent really good and should I get it anyway?

You need to realise that DQ and Descent are not really comparable. Sure, the basic theme is the same, but the gameplay is very very different. Descent is a strategy game, DQ is what I'd like to call an experience game, where random stuff happens to you, and you have to deal with it. More like Talisman in fact than Descent.

I would still recomend Descent since I do think it is a good game. I am interested in Dungeon Quest but have no experience with the original. As the above poster said though, they sound like they are very different games. Descent is more a competetive tactical game between a group of heroes and an Overlord, it is supposed to be reasonably balanced so that each side has an equal chance to win. Dungeon Quest is every man for himself (and is in fact soloable which Descent is not), and his each person trying to face the dungeon without being killed.

RoBro said:

I was thinking about buying descent but then I saw this. Should I wait for this to come out, or descent really good and should I get it anyway?

As others have said, you're really talking about apples and oranges here. Both games involve dungeon-crawling and both games (will be) set in the same game world - which really just amounts to recycled art and so on. Beyond that they play very differently, so it's more a question of what you want out of a game than which one is better.

Descent is a tactical combat spree. The only treasures you collect are weapons and armor to use against more monsters (or gold to buy such items). It has one player against the rest, so it's competitive between players which can be a nuisance to some. Descent also has several expansions (currently 5, and probably still counting), it has rules galore and all sorts of errata to watch out for, but it definitely delivers a big epic fantasy adventure.

DQ (based on my experience with the original) is more random, for starters. Each player has his own hero and though they aren't technically cooperating, they also don't run into each other very often. Gold and valuables are the scoring mechanic and goal, other items like weapons and potions are found along the way and may or may not prove useful. I expect the play time on DQ will be much shorter, but the adventure will also be less epic. Still an enjoyable romp to be sure, but Descent has a certain "massive" quality imposed by all those bits and boards which I don't think DQ will ever match.

I would compare DQ more to Drakon, if you're familiar with that game. Lots of crazy randomness. Every hero for him/herself. They both scratch different itches, despite being set in the same universe.