Forest Grove / Athelas Timing

By caribecards, in Rules questions & answers

Hi

Once Forest Grove is explored and 1 Athelas card is added to the staging area, is the encounter deck shuffled before or after that the next encounter card is dealt to Athelas?

Regards,

Forest Grove

Response: After the players explore Forest Grove, search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 Athelas objective, and add it to the staging area. Then, shuffle the encounter deck.

Usually when you search the encounter deck you usually have to shuffle it as soon as the search it's over to avoid having information about it when doing other actions, so I would think that first you shuffle the encounter deck and then you activate the guarded keyword.

Since the Athelas is added to the staging area instead of revealed from the encounter deck, Guarded is not resolved. That's why 1A of Escape from Dol Goldur tells you to search for the guarded objectives in the encounter deck, reveal them and add them to the staging area -- if it just told you to add them, the Guarded wouldn't trigger.

Side note: Guarded fires only on the card being revealed… but (post-Wilds of Rhovanion) Guarded (X) fires on the card entering play via any means. Go figure.

3 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Since the Athelas is added to the staging area instead of revealed from the encounter deck, Guarded is not resolved. That's why 1A of Escape from Dol Goldur tells you to search for the guarded objectives in the encounter deck, reveal them and add them to the staging area -- if it just told you to add them, the Guarded wouldn't trigger.

Wasn't there a FAQ that changed this so that whenever a Guarded card enters play the keyword is resolved (whether it was revealed or not)? I might have dreamt it....

10 minutes ago, Alonewolf87 said:

Wasn't there a FAQ that changed this so that whenever a Guarded card enters play the keyword is resolved (whether it was revealed or not)? I might have dreamt it....

The FAQ entry is quite the opposite, heh.

Q: Does the Guarded keyword trigger when the encounter card it’s on is “added” to the staging area (and not “revealed”)?

A: No. In order for the Guarded keyword to trigger, the encounter card it appears on must be “revealed” from the encounter deck.

I probably found it too merciful and thought it was otherwise :D (and the Guarded X only seemed to confirm my ideas), well even better for the future.

Edited by Alonewolf87
5 hours ago, sappidus said:

Side note: Guarded fires only on the card being revealed… but (post-Wilds of Rhovanion) Guarded (X) fires on the card entering play via any means. Go figure.

The asymmetry between "Guarded" and "Guarded (X)" drives me crazy.