Chapter Packs in Singles or Multiples?

By scottkthompson, in General Discussion

I just bought a collection off eBay and am ready to start learning this game. I have been reading a lot of threads on here to try and figure out exactly where I need to go from here. Here's what I got in my collection:

• 3x core sets
  • 2x packs of every chapter pack in the first two cycles
  • 2x of the first 3 Deluxe expansions

I do plan on buying at least one of every chapter pack and Deluxe expansion because I'm a completionist. But my questions is, do I need 2x of every chapter pack? The collection I purchased came with two or more of everything, which makes it seem like a requirement. But back when I played the Star Wars LCG you only needed one of each chapter pack. If you only need one of everything, then I could sell my extra copies of the first two cycles and use that money to help me buy missing chapter packs! Also, should I keep all three core sets? I saw old posts saying you should always have two or three core sets. But I was wondering if that was still true with the card pool being so much larger now. I definitely want to build at least one deck of every faction so that when my friends visit they can all just grab their favorite house and we can play Melee. I don't ever plan on playing in a sanctioned event as I'm nowhere near a place (I guess FFG is 2 hours away) that holds events. When I had originally bought this lot my intention was to remove 1 of everything (1x core, 1x of each deluxe, and 1x of each chapter pack) and turn around and sell it to offset the cost of buying the lot. I'm throwing myself on your expertise!

So to recap, here are the questions I need answered:

1. With the now large card pool should I keep all 3 core sets keeping in mind I'll need to build decks for 4 people to melee?
  2. Should I sell my extra copies of the deluxe expansion and chapter pack expansions so I have some extra spending money for new cycles?
  3. Can I just buy single chapter packs of the expansions I'm missing going forward, or should I continue to buy two of everything?
  4. (Bonus question) Would the House Intro decks add anything to my collection that I don't already have? Or are they just reprinted cards from the Core and Expansions?

Thanks in advance!

Ultimately, it depends on how 'good' you want the decks to be. A lot of cards can be substituted, but you may still want to include the 'best' card in a deck. That decision is going to depend on your own feelings and the options you want to have. Having said that:

1) Keep them. There's no real reason not to. Lets you run 3 x of Core Set cards (you can probably find subs for a lot of them, but why bother?). There are also some neutral cards that you will likely want in multiple decks (e.g. base economy) as well as plots.

2) Probably. There may be some packs that are worth keeping doubles of, but it'd only be for the neutral cards. A lot of decks want to run some of them, and having six copies would let you split them between three decks at two copies each. There's also plots, where you probably wouldn't run six copies of plots, but you might want to include more than three.

3) There's really no reason to buy two of everything, unless you REALLY want to have a lot of cards to draw on (or, if you do want more than 3 x of something, targeting specific packs to buy doubles of).

4) Not really. They are made up of reprints, so there's be nothing new. For a player with an existing collection, it's really only if they want more than 3 x of something. Same with the World Championship decks.